Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Unknowingly took EXPIRED medicine and I'm pregnant!

Posted by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:38 PM
  • 17 Replies

UGH, I am so pissed off right now. About a week ago I bought a bottle of store-brand children's tylenol because I've been having horrible headaches throughout this pregnancy and just figured out, after taking the very last dose in the bottle, that it EXPIRED in August. I guess it is my fault because I did not check the expiration date before taking it/buying it (my husband actually bought it for me) but I still feel like the store should be checking expiration dates for these type of things, especially children's medicine! They have expiration dates for a reason! I'd love to go to the store and complain but now my husband can't even remember which store he bought it from and can't find the receipt! Brilliant - just brilliant. I'm 18 weeks pregnant and I'm now paranoid that it might have been bad for the baby. What do you ladies think? Should I be concerned and mention it at my next doctor's appointment? Or am I just overreacting?

by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:40 PM
1 mom liked this
It won't hurt the baby. It might have been a little stronger/ weaker but either way it won't hurt
MamaHasWings
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Thank you for the response. Most of the stuff I read online about expired children's tylenol said it'll be weaker but others said it might be toxic. There are so many "Don't eat this, don't do that" with pregnancy... I'm sure taking expired medicine is one of them :)

illinoismommy83
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Eh, I think the expiration dates are a guideline to keep people buying more product. I buy the big 750 ct bottles of tylenol and advil and use them for years without ever checking the expiration dates. I am sure you and your baby will be fine.

lilredrosetears
by Silver Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:46 PM
Way overreacting its just tylenol of it were a prescription then I would worry,sometimes boxes are over looked its an honest mistake I worked at cvs 3 years!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JDmommyJD
by the sauce is boss on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:47 PM
Lol..when Medicine expires it just gets weaker..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TrouserMouse
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:47 PM
Expired medicine will rarely hurt you. It just loses potency.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:48 PM

I'm sure you will be fine. Once something like that expires, it just loses its potency. Call your OB if you are concerned. 

sam12796
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:50 PM

With meds like that it affects the potency more than anything else. So basically it becomes weaker after expiration but you can mention it to your doctor.

angevil53
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:51 PM
I used to take old aspirin and it still worked. I wouldn't sweat it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Fields456
by Ruby Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:51 PM
It won't hurt anything. The expiration date is just the date they guarantee it to be the most effective.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)