Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
Just looking to see if anyone ever done online classes... I failed one of my classes this term, & i was not allowed to continue the second half. In order to receive my credit for the course and remain fulltime i have to do it online ( no inclass classes until sept. ). I will be in school for my other courses (3) & online for one. How did you find it compared to inclass learning?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Replies (11-20):
elijahXmom
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Depending on the setup of the class it can easier or harder to pass.

ebbierowe
by Gold Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:52 PM
This ....

Quoting anotherhalf:

I have done it.  Its easy.  Less distracting and more convenient for me anyway.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:53 PM

I liked it.  I didn't have to mess with daycare and I got the course done.  I could take my laptop with me when we visited family and still got my work done.  That said, it does take discipline. 

VannaMae307
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:54 PM

It could be a new policy for this year then?

Basically it works like the person is in the room with you, usually a computer lab type setting, you show your ID and they register your computer to reflect your school ID and such. So when the results come, they know it's on your record electronically and also printed copy when you're done (sometimes).

My college is not a state university so it has some campuses plus an online "campus" (no it is not Devry or University of Phoenix) but when I have the degree capstone (one for associate number of credits and the other is for the final bachelor amount of credits before graduation) I will be going to the nearest state university who will provide the person for me and do everything just as I would if I was in a "real" school. I am a bad test taker too simply because I procrastinate with studying and it's just not a good way for me to learn. Research papers are so much more interesting to me, regardless of being a pain in the ass.

Quoting ninjakids:

When i was veiwing the online section it said i would be assigned a prospect to do my tests with and id have to bring in my id etc to prove it was me & all that. However a friend of mine did this same course only all online last year she said she was just given a test online. So im not sure how that works..the college is about 20-30 mins & ill be there 5 days a week anyway for my other classes, alrhough Id rather do papers than tests (im a horrible test taker)

Quoting VannaMae307:

I like online classes better because my college is heavily research based and I learn a lot more that way. Writing 2-3 page papers, 3 times a week, will burn something into my brain a lot better than "oh shit there's a quiz tomorrow" and cramming it in all at once.

I am doing an online college for accounting and it is still research based. It's definitely not easy, I have learned more about more corporate and private companies than I ever thought I'd really care for. But, I am learning way more than if it was quizzing and stuff, because that's my learning style.

jasyoung2012
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:55 PM

I loved taking my Spanish and Literature online. It was simpler for me to take tests online at 1 am, instead of normal class times. I am a night person so it worked wonderful for me :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:57 PM
I personally prefer online classes (except for math.. I have to take math in person. It's my weakest subject) I seem to focus and study better when I take online classes, Im also a lot more confident when it comes to class discussions and can hold my own if it turns ink a debate, but in person I'm shy. And so far in he classes I've taken where we had to do group projects, I don't have to worry about my classmates not doing their part and failing. As long as I did my part and did it correctly , I've always gotten full credit. And I like that.
shymomof4
by Kristyn on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:58 PM

I am doing online classes through my local community college.  The instructors have office hours where you can contact them over the phone or in person.  Since you would be on campus so much you could just pop in with any questions during these time windows.  Anytime I have ever had an issue and emailed my instructor I would usually get assistance within 24 hours.  Also we have to do group discussion boards.  There is almost always a discussion board where if you don't understand something you can post it there and other students and even the teacher will assist you. 

Quoting ninjakids:

Im worried if i get stumped again i wont have the one on one attention from being in class. :(

Quoting anotherhalf:

I have done it.  Its easy.  Less distracting and more convenient for me anyway.

shymomof4
by Kristyn on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:06 PM

I am sure every school is different but from my experience some courses would require you to come in a proctored environment with an id for the test.  It would only be for the mid-term and final though.  Then other classes would have the weekly test and mid-terms and finals all online.  Normally with the test they give you a ton of time.  Most of my online test have been untimed but if they are timed its like 2 hours to answer 50-60 multiple choice questions.  When I would have to take proctored test it was like 4 hours to take a 100 question test.  So you have plenty of time.  Like I said I am sure everywhere is different but this has been my experience.  I am sure you will do fine.  I actually prefer online classes. 

Quoting ninjakids:

When i was veiwing the online section it said i would be assigned a prospect to do my tests with and id have to bring in my id etc to prove it was me & all that. However a friend of mine did this same course only all online last year she said she was just given a test online. So im not sure how that works..the college is about 20-30 mins & ill be there 5 days a week anyway for my other classes, alrhough Id rather do papers than tests (im a horrible test taker)

Quoting VannaMae307:

I like online classes better because my college is heavily research based and I learn a lot more that way. Writing 2-3 page papers, 3 times a week, will burn something into my brain a lot better than "oh shit there's a quiz tomorrow" and cramming it in all at once.

I am doing an online college for accounting and it is still research based. It's definitely not easy, I have learned more about more corporate and private companies than I ever thought I'd really care for. But, I am learning way more than if it was quizzing and stuff, because that's my learning style.

Mommie2Kailen
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Currently working on my BA, I have my AA already through online classes. It's more convenient than brick and mortar. i love it but you have to be dedicated to really work at it. Definitely not for everyone

laranadtony
by Ruby Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:47 PM

A little easier actually but it depends on the class.

My advisor said things like keyboarding, languages, and brushing up on software and applications is ok online as long as you have finals in a classroom but that I should not take any of my other classes online.

I only took keyboarding and excel online. I am taking spanish in the classroom but it is only once a week.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)