Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

could you pay all of your bills off of minimum wage??? edit

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

so ladies could you?? what is minimum wage in your state and could all of your bills be paid off of it. In florida minimum wage in florida is now $7.79, it went up 12 cents last week.

edit:

For those of you who say No, please explain. Could you do if you gave up some stuff.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:40 PM
Replies (241-247):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 6, 2013 at 9:19 AM

No.....And I don't think most people can, at least, without depending on public assistance that is.

My mortgage is $1,200 a month. Enough said.

slransde
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 9:20 AM
No, but if I was making minimum wage we wouldn't have such high bills like our new car, house, and my student loan payments would be less.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
auntietotty
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 9:21 AM

No...

We'd have to have a cheaper/smaller house

Smaller car with better gas mileage

Couldnt buy the groceries we buy and cook like we do.

I guess if we lived a totally different life than we do now..we could.

dlock25
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Nope. I did not start that way. I was making more than min wage and so was my husband. Right now if I made min wage I couldn't do it because Heath insurance would take the fist $350. This is not something I am willing to go without.

Rent- 600
Food- 400
Internet- ( must for my job) 50
Gas- 100-200 ( 2 people working)
Chill care- 100
School lunches for kids- 100

Right there doesn't include any other bills. Not something I am willing to do but I have not had to work min wage since high school.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting spicy_n_sweet:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting spicy_n_sweet:

Quoting Anonymous:

Those of you who say you cant, can you explain? 

ANYONE can live on it. you may not like it, but please explain why you cant. 

Sure.. I'll explain.

My rent alone is nearly $2k a month. Plus there are utilities, food, clothing, other basics of living, my son's college tuition and his rent/monthly bills (all of which are  being covered by a trust and college fund that I have been contributing to for 20 years. something that I would not have been able to do struggling by on minimum wage), multiple savings/investment and retirement accounts that are contributed to monthly.  A minimum wage job a a full 40 hours  a week (which most aren't here, they usually hit 30 hours per week normally) wouldn't even cover rent. Forget about retirement, college and savings  and the like. 

If you do live on a  minimum wage job with no assistance (family, state, roomies, subsidized rent..etc) how do you do it? Do you have savings? Do you have retirement funds? College funds for your child(ren)?  If you do manage to do all those things on minimum wage, I would love to hear how you do it. I would be impressed to say the least.

Minimum wage is $8.95 an hour here. General cost of living is higher than the national average.

OK so then if you lost your job and had to get a min wage job, you move to a cheaper place, cut groceries down, your son applies for financial aid and gets his own part time job, you pull some of the savings and investments to help you get all this done, if you have a car payment, you close that out and buy a cheaper lemon car. 

and how i did it when my husband and i first got married, was exactly this way. we lived in a smaller and cheaper place, did not have internet or cable, spent about 200 a month in groceries, didnt use the heater in the winter time, used other methods to keep cool in the summer, dont do a college fund, its very easy to save if you keep on top of it and be dilligent, dont pay anymore than the min into a retirement fund. 

when we first got married, i was still in school, and my husband was working for 7.15 an hour. we paid 450 in rent, 200 a month in groceries, 75 in electricity, and paid 30 a month for a bus pass. and we were able to put 50$ into savings each month, and have a little left over for incidentals, like soap, cleaners, and such. 

each school year, we skipped on the 50 savings deposit, and spent it on school clothing and supplies. 

if you dont have money to GET things, then you dont HAVE things. you cant expect to have a min wage job but still get to keep all the things you could afford if you had more money. 

but it absolutely CAN be done. its hard. but it can be done. 

and we were NOT on any assistance at that time. 

though we DID get on foodstamps a little later. 

So you were not able to save the for the types of things I asked about. Okay so you were not able to do what I asked on minimum wage. Nor did you accomplish it without ever receiving any assistance.There is nothing wrong with that. However, it's not accomplishing the things I directly asked about. Do you have retirement savings, general savings (at least 6 months worth of living expenses), college savings for your children? 

No worries about me losing a job or my son having to file for financial aid. I'm retired, have been for a few years. I was able to retire early (I receive a public employee pension) thanks in part to all the saving and investing I have done for 20 years. I do not own a car, haven't in  many years. I live in the middle of the city and have no need for a car (or want for one, they are a pain in the ass as far as I'm concerned). I do not have cable, haven't in over a decade. I don't even own a cell phone because I find them to be pointless. Not owning those sorts things has added greatly to my savings over the years.

I live comfortably because I worked hard, saved, invested and planned for my future. Those are things that can not be done on minimum wage generally speaking.

Um, did you misunderstand what i said? 

and i dont know why you are speaking to me as if i were being rude. i currently live very comfortably because my husband and i work very hard. the example i gave you was from 15 years ago when we first got married.

unless you come from old money, you did not start out that way, and im sure you did find a way to make it work, even if you couldnt have all the things you have now. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
plainjane55
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 9:23 AM

$7.50 in PA. I think. And hell no!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 6, 2013 at 9:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting MamaRae85:

Absolutely not. We couldn't pay our house bills (rent, electric, gas, etc.), which ARE our only bills besides groceries and fuel.

Very off topic, but I love your siggy!!!

Anyway, the answer is no.  First, most minimum wage jobs will not give full time hours.  IF you had one that gave you full time hours, after taxes it would be it would be $573 per paycheck, or $1146 per month.  Minimum rent for a 1 bedroom apartment in my area is 900, a 2 bedroom (so kids can sleep somewhere) would be 1100.  That's the whole paycheck right there, nothing for food, utilities, gas, etc.  Even if we moved to a cheaper part of the state rent on a one bedroom is 650+, still taking up over half of said paycheck.  

I just ran numbers with my brother on a basic budget.  He was hoping to move out on $11 dollars an hour, but I showed him how if he did after just the very basics he'd literally have about 5 dollars a month leftover.  Not a very stable situation. 

danandsamsmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Well, I wouldn't just crawl into a hole and die.  Of course I would have to find somewhere lese to live.  As dreadful as it would be, I would probably move in with my parents. 

Fortunately, neither of us have worked for minimum wage since high school...20+ years.  I can't imagine any situation that would cause us to return to minimum wage.

Quoting Anonymous:

Then you accept the loss, and move to a smaller cheaper home. it sucks, but what else can  you do if you were ever stuck in that situation? 

Quoting danandsamsmom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Those of you who say you cant, can you explain? 

ANYONE can live on it. you may not like it, but please explain why you cant. 

Because it wouldn't cover my mortgage. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured