Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Poll

Question: Is living with your parents after you are 18 ok?

Options:

Yes

No

Only until X age (put in replies)

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 229

View Results

Once someone is 18, is it ok to live with their parents. Assuming this person is going to college or some sort of training and/or working? What if they have a child/ family?
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:13 AM
Replies (11-20):
mybabytristan
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:23 AM
3 moms liked this
I wish more families lived together longer. The family bonds are not what they used to be with the faced paced move on and upgrade attitudes people have.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:24 AM
Me my dd and dh live with my parents. Mostly it's ok. We get along. Until my mother drinks and treats me like shit like she has as long as I can remember. I'm having a horrible night and if I didn't have dd id be out of here because she can be so mean. 99% of the time it's fine but when she drinks she hates me. Me and only me, I will never ever treat DD like this. I can't handle this!!!!! :-(
mz23
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:24 AM
1 mom liked this

i go to school, have a baby, and live with my parents. I love my family but would rather not live at home. but gotta make the best out of the situation for now...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:26 AM
1 mom liked this
We will pay for college for both, so unless they have a job that can support them or kick ass scholarships, they will be at home until they are done. I expect them to be out and independent by 24. Obviously, things may not go as planned, but that's out rule for now.
TAG_ur_it
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:26 AM
1 mom liked this

DH says they're out when they're 18 (though DS won't graduate until he's 19).  i'm putting my foot down already that they can stay at home as long as they are in school or training (DS wants to go to the police academy) and for 6 months after so they can find employment and get some savings up, but they have to have at least a part time job in the meantime so they can pay their own car insurance. if they want to stay longer, they have to pay rent and they only get a year. 

mz23
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:26 AM
1 mom liked this

oh but I love the fact my daughter gets to be raised around her grandparents. my grandparents and relatives all lived across the country and I missed out on being around family. even when I do move out o want to be close by ; )

Youngmother456
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:29 AM
I am OP and I posted this because there was a discussion on the radio about it. One of the people said there is no reason what so ever that the kid should be still living with their parents. I'm sure part of it was for the show but it made me curious what people thought.

I live with my mom and I am going to college. Im a single mother and I work some but rarely. She has made it clear she rather have me do well in school than at some part time job. In exchange I am her "housewife" it works well for us. I feel guilty about it and kinda like a "loser" but it works well for us.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why in America is it not acceptable to live with family? In many countries you WANT to live with family because it works better as a unit and more productive that way. Yes its good to have your own home but I love having family near. Does it get frustrating, yes but family is very important to have close to me.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Youngmother456
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:32 AM
I can relate. I also live with my mom. She doesn't drink and she isn't mean so I don't really understand but she is very controlling and overbearing. It is really tough sometimes but I have to stay here and I do appreciate what she is doing for me.

I hope it gets better for you

Quoting Anonymous:

Me my dd and dh live with my parents. Mostly it's ok. We get along. Until my mother drinks and treats me like shit like she has as long as I can remember. I'm having a horrible night and if I didn't have dd id be out of here because she can be so mean. 99% of the time it's fine but when she drinks she hates me. Me and only me, I will never ever treat DD like this. I can't handle this!!!!! :-(

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:32 AM
1 mom liked this
I lived with mom until I was 26. Then again at 29. Now I am relocating across the country to go care for my elderly grandmother (paternal). She can no longer live alone. When I moved out at 26 sil and bil (dh's siblings) lived with us along with sil's 4 yr old. In the past 3 we had roommates twice, both long time friends of the family. It's a hard economy. Extended multi-generational households are more and more common
Danapopcorn
by AbbyCat on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I moved out at 15 but I want my babies here until they are 40 :P

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN