Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Poll

Question: Is living with your parents after you are 18 ok?

Options:

Yes

No

Only until X age (put in replies)

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 229

View Results

Once someone is 18, is it ok to live with their parents. Assuming this person is going to college or some sort of training and/or working? What if they have a child/ family?
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:13 AM
Replies (21-30):
KelissaMaye
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:34 AM

I lived with my parents until I was almost 22. I got married in March 2009, and my husband left for basic training that April, so I just stayed with them until we moved to our first duty station. 

Ajanee12
by That's What She Said on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:34 AM
No. When I was 18 I bought own house. Had a newborn, worked and went to college. I was not my parents responsibility financially once I hit 18.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:35 AM
Why is it wrong to stick together as a family? Unless you are mooching off them, then I don't see an issue.
erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:35 AM

Quoting Ajanee12:

No. When I was 18 I bought own house. Had a newborn worked and went to college. I was not my parents responsibility financially once I hit 18.

Just because some people live in the same house as their parents doesn't mean their parents are financially responsible for them

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:35 AM

I think it all depends on the circumstances.

hootowl21
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:36 AM
I'm 22 and live with my mom. Even if I could afford to move out I probably wouldn't. I like living with family. I mean I'd like to have my own place so I can decorate and do as I please lol. But I don't wan to live alone. I enjoy having family by.
Ajanee12
by That's What She Said on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:36 AM
Rarely.

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting Ajanee12:

No. When I was 18 I bought own house. Had a newborn worked and went to college. I was not my parents responsibility financially once I hit 18.

Just because some people live in the same house as their parents doesn't mean their parents are financially responsible for them

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:37 AM
when my kids go to college, I hope they are smart enough to live at home with me and not rack up loans to attend college. They won't have to pay bills so long as they are attending college and even if they had a family, then they would only have to concentrate on college and on financially supporting their nuclear unit.
Ber-Lynn
by Count Me In on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:41 AM
Well if they are going to school then sure its fine. Yet if they have children then well I think they should live in their own.
ANSLUASI
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:43 AM

As long as you are doing something to progres forward towards independence, yes. Maybe I am crazy, but I actually hope my DD does want to live at home for a bit after school. I'd rather see her build up a nest egg for herself and be on solid financial and career ground before she strikes out in her own place. I did this, and paid my parents a modest rent for my room and kicked in for groceries and treats. I had my own place while at university and had done the living on my own thing, and moved back in with my parents after graduation since I found employment in my hometown. I lived there until I got married at 24.

If you are using their house as a crash pad between relationships, parties and marathon gaming, then no.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)