Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Poll

Question: Is living with your parents after you are 18 ok?

Options:

Yes

No

Only until X age (put in replies)

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 229

View Results

Once someone is 18, is it ok to live with their parents. Assuming this person is going to college or some sort of training and/or working? What if they have a child/ family?
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:13 AM
Replies (31-40):
erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Not true at all...I have a son who is home and is a full time college student and pays rent which covers ALL expenses related to him living here.  All 3 of my grown sons have at one time or another come back home and have never cost me a penny.  

Quoting Ajanee12:

Rarely.

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting Ajanee12:

No. When I was 18 I bought own house. Had a newborn worked and went to college. I was not my parents responsibility financially once I hit 18.

Just because some people live in the same house as their parents doesn't mean their parents are financially responsible for them

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:54 AM

I don't see the problem with it. My 25yo left at 17 for college, joined the Army at 19 and got out of the Army at 24. He came back to OH, lived with a room mate for a year and then his room mate got married so my son moved back home. He lived here from June '11 until next week and then he's off to Kent State where he will be living with a room mate off campus while attending school year round. My 25 moved out at 17, moved to TX at 19 and came back in Nov. of this year and lived here for 3 weeks before moving back out. My 22yo graduated in '10, joined the Army and got out of the Army 6 1/2 mos. ago and lived with us from then to now. He leaves on Tues. for college in PA and will be living on campus. My 21yo lived away at college for 1 1/2 school years and due to some financial decisions decided to cut back the amount of money he has to pay back and go to college close to home. He lives here and works and goes to school. He'll be here until he finishes part A of his college education and then he will get a counseling job while working towards the 2nd part of his Psychology degree. Once that happens he will be able to afford to have an apartment. This is their home. If they need a place to stay, they can sstay here. I lived with my mom for 3 mos. at 21 (with my younger 2 sons while hubby was in Army basic training) and my husband and I and 3 of our sons lived with my dad for a month after my husband got out of the Army while we looked for a place to live and then 9 years later hubby and I and our sons lived with my dad and his wife for 3 weeks when we moved here from TX to live closer to them to help them out. Family is always there for family.

BTW, we have not been financially responsible for our sons since they graduated from high school (actually, before then they became repsonsible). They started working at 16, bought their own 1st cars and since 16 have paid for their own car insurance and gas for their car and once they got cell phones, that was all on them, too. Also, from 16 they have bought their own clothes and wants.While living here my sons pay $300 a month each to help out with extra expenses, pay their own car payments and car insurance, cell phone bills and put gas in their own vehicles. We give them an afordable place to live, we don't give them hand outs.

momtomy7kids
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 9:09 AM

I moved out of my parents house when I was 18, moved in with my fiance. I don't see any problem with it if that is what you have to do.

Michelle
Mom to 4 boys and 3 girls with #8 on the way
Emily, Jordan, Sara, Jason, Aiden, Chloe, Nick and EDD 7-29-13

librarywizard
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 9:12 AM

I am 41 years old and my son and I live with my mother. My husband died in 2003 and I did not have a job, so we had no choice but to move. Really, it is up to each family to decide how they will live.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Jan. 6, 2013 at 9:17 AM
When my Mom was going through a separation from my dad and my sister was moving into her own place, my mom wouldn't have been able to afford her own place. Money was tight with the new baby, so DH suggested we find a place with my mom. We have all been living together for over 2 years now. We hope to purchase a house with a small apartment for my mom.
AleaKat
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 9:19 AM
Couldn't do it. Absolutely not. I moved 12 hours away the day after graduation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Jan. 6, 2013 at 9:19 AM
What about the people that take on the financial responsibility of their parents?

Quoting Ajanee12:

No. When I was 18 I bought own house. Had a newborn, worked and went to college. I was not my parents responsibility financially once I hit 18.
mommytoeandb
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 9:20 AM
I lived with mine for a month after college graduation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Jan. 6, 2013 at 9:23 AM
If I would have had to move out at 18 I would have been living on my own for the last tear and a half of high school.

I am 25 and I live at home with ds at my moms. I work full time, and go to school full time I also contribute half of the rent and I pay 100% of the cable.
la-cosa-nostra
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 9:23 AM
I think it depends on the person and the situation.

When I left my abusive ex, me and my kids moved in with my mom for a year. At first, I was way to injured to care for a toddler and a baby alone and I couldn't work for a while because of injuries. And then I needed to save up money to replace everything. (his mother bailed him out before I left the hospital and even though police said he wasn't aloud in our old house, she was friends with the landlord so they went in and took or destroyed everything of mine and the kids, so we only had the few items the cops packed up for us the night I went to the hospital)

But these late 20s single guys living at home for no good reason, I think they are losers.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)