Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Poll

Question: Is living with your parents after you are 18 ok?

Options:

Yes

No

Only until X age (put in replies)

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 229

View Results

Once someone is 18, is it ok to live with their parents. Assuming this person is going to college or some sort of training and/or working? What if they have a child/ family?
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:13 AM
Replies (41-50):
ladyraven16
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 9:24 AM
I moved out at 17 and came back shortly before 19 with my kids. I'm 21 now and I am still living with them. I help them by cleaning, cooking, shopping and paying rent so it works for us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goodmama85
by Diamond Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 9:25 AM
I still live with my mom.trying to save money though for my own place.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
HistoryNutty
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Two of my brothers live with my mom (my oldest brother never moved out) because she can no longer live by herself. Ever. She was looking forward to an empty nest too.
Mamasgirl524
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Ummm? Sure it's ok.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 6, 2013 at 9:27 AM
If you are in college you have to have a permanent address, not your dorm room, or commute, so of course a parent's home would be fine. As an adult with children, my parents home is one of the last places I'd want yo live. It becomes less okay. However, rough times call for rough measures.
superwoman8977
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Nope.  My kids are out on their own after high school..

Byrd15
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Of course! My older brother is 23 and is still living with my parents! He has autism and is going to school full time. He will be moving out in the summer and living in the dorms for the first time! I cried when my mom told me. :)
I also live with my parents after my husband and I married because he was in Military Training.
CjEmmemommy
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 9:29 AM

I think it's fine as long as they are doing something and being helpful. 

Married is notideal, I can see how it would help while you save for a home ect, after kids even worse but again if you are working towards a goal and it's not long term I think it great to have options!

I wish my mom would move in with me:)))

lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 9:29 AM
My mother lives with me. I pay 90% of the bills. I moved out of my house before I was 18.
Leobaby2007
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Absolutely. My son always has a place in my home. I do want to foster independence, though.

When I was 27, after my first marriage ended, I moved in with parents temporarily. (I did not have children, just my cat lol). They had moved from a lovely house in CA to a big, beautiful house in Scottsdale, AZ, and they have a second "master suite" with a large walk in closet, a veranda off the bedroom and an adjoining bathroom complete with a jacuzzi tub!

Not to shabby for me lol. I enjoyed spending time with them, but a year or so later I got remarried. I think my dad would have preferred that I stay and live with them forever. :-) Believe me, there are days when I wonder why I moved out!!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured