Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Child support/ military question

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My ex is military, an E4 and I am trying to go for a review of our child support since he is paying based in him making about $1300 a month (before he went into the military). I filed 2 years ago for the review but he he never sent in the paper work and the court has been so backed up, they haven't done anything about it. So now I am going through child support enforcement (we have a case open with them).

Now to the actual question, he lives in the barracks for free. He could choose to move out on his own and he would get basic housing allowance, it would be about $900 a month. But the way it was explained to me, he basically waves the housing allowance to get to live in the barracks. Is child support calculated with or without the basic housing allowance? A friend of mine, who's DH is military said she thinks it's with. Does anyone know for sure? In child support, the difference would be close to $200 a month

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 6, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Replies (71-75):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:27 PM
Sure, just as if you were the ncp, you'd be willing everytime you got a raise, to hand more money to your ex. Better job? Give him all your extra income.

Why don't you let him get caught up in his arrears.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why, because I feel my child should benefit from his father's income?

Quoting Anonymous:

Kinda greedy aren't you?!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:32 PM

BAH is not taxable income....be happy with what you get and move on...

MrsMalsam
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:33 PM
My DH (who is a Marine) says that it also can have something to do with him not necessarily waiving the right to live out in town... Sometimes it depends on the occupancy rate of the barracks. And can depend on his base as well. Some people are authorized to live in town if the barracks are full or close to max occupancy. And even then, it's only for certain ranks. So just because he lives in the barracks doesn't mean that he can automatically move out if he wants.

Also, BAH is for his basic housing allowance if he lived off base. Normally that is not counted as income since it is an allowance. So to answer your question, as far as we know, child support would (and should!) be calculated based on his basic rate of pay.

Be happy with what you get and move on. Don't try to go after his allowances just because you feel like you're owed more money! SMH
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
honeyrder
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Sure aren't! That's why they marry those bunnies.

Quoting AFWifeNMom:

I am sorry, I don't know anything about CS. I am still married to my kids father. But it is not the same thing as paying it back to the military...have you eer seen those barracks?? They are NOT $900/mo worthy...

Quoting Anonymous:

If he actually gets it, I know for a fact it would. I just am wondering if it still counts because he is basically paying it back to the military to get to live for free in the barracks

Quoting AFWifeNMom:

It would average out to about te same I think. Because he makes less now without BAH but he also doesn't have any bills to pay.

And the BAH isn't counted on taxes so I doubt it would count on CS

4g4b
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:46 PM
Wow before dd father left the marines they did not know about her. So we could not even get medical for her. I think the only reason we got the cs is he did not.want the back cs. I am not sure how he managed that but he did. So she would not benifit from anything they get. I do know that now that he works.for fema he does everything by the book. I know that dd father only had to factor his actual pay and expenses for his though. But that was back in 2001. Sorry if im no help my dd father was a douche back then....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)