Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Something I don't get: Dog people may understand:

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 7:20 PM
  • 151 Replies

Why is it with dogs, people always seem to want them super big or super small. What ever happened to wanting breeds the way they are. Why do they need to be "teacup", "micro", "mini" or "pocket"? Or on the other side "king", "XXL", "Royal", or just plain Large? I saw something about a Mini Beagle. I never got the concept. If you want a small scenthound then why not get a Dachshund?  Since "mini" Beagles are just Beagle x Dachshund mixes anyway. If you don't like the size of a breed then why get that breed?

Edit: Sigh: This is not a post asking what kinds of dogs you like. But I do like hearing about it and feel free to keep those coming. This is a post asking why people get dogs that aren't to standard (either abnormally small or large) on purpose. If you don't like the correct size of a breed then why get that breed? Why not get a breed that is smaller or larger instead of paying a bad breeder for something King Sized or "Teacup". There is no such thing as either of those things.

by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 7:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
beachbabies6
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 7:23 PM
4 moms liked this

i am for the " mutt " personaly they dont have the genetic defects that pure breeds do , i also am a big supporter of local animal rescue groups ( except the peta nuts )

AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Jan. 6, 2013 at 7:23 PM

BUMP!

AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Jan. 6, 2013 at 7:24 PM
4 moms liked this

I have mutts but the whole "no genetic defects" thing is purely false. A well bred purebred would have had both parents tested for defects prior to breeding and the breeder would have made sure not to pass on genetic defects. The same can not be said about a random cross breeding. 

Quoting beachbabies6:

i am for the " mutt " personaly they dont have the genetic defects that pure breeds do , i also am a big supporter of local animal rescue groups ( except the peta nuts )

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 6, 2013 at 7:27 PM
1 mom liked this
We have three dogs . One is a100# German Shepherd, one is a 64# mutt and the last is a 26# mutt. I love huge dogs personally and I'm not into "designer" dogs.
melakay1981
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 7:27 PM

We want to get a medium sized dog.  I do not want a large dog because my house is on the smaller side but I do not care for little dogs.  The breed is not too much of an issue to me as long as it is good with kids.  We are waiting until spring, i do not want to try and train it in the winter.

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 7:27 PM
I think people want the personality of certain breeds but want a smaller dog.

Personally, I don't get it. I have a Jack Chi, and he's like a little JRT (long hair). He even sounds big, I see no Chi in him whatsoever. But I guess people don't want to gamble on that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Jan. 6, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Whats this(#) mean? Whats a 26# mutt? I am not a "designer" dog person myself. I say "If you want a mutt, go to a shelter". 

Quoting Anonymous:

We have three dogs . One is a100# German Shepherd, one is a 64# mutt and the last is a 26# mutt. I love huge dogs personally and I'm not into "designer" dogs.

HipLikeJunk
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 7:28 PM
1 mom liked this
I want a Great Dane.
Omg could you imagine a teacup Great Dane?!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Fields456
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 7:28 PM
I don't have to have mini or super large. But I do prefer large breeds. I gained a mini ausse/ mini Shelty when I got married and she is now my dog. I love her to pieces but she is so damn yappy she barks at everything!!!!!! My husky only barks when there is an issue
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 6, 2013 at 7:29 PM

I have three rescue mutts, all happen to be small breeds. It was purely coincidental. They are all between ten and eleven pounds. They are my sweet girls and despite the yapping, the attitudes and the issues with housebreaking, they are my mutts and I love them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)