Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
At what age would you stop bathing with your son. My son is 14 months and we still bathe together because obviously he's too young to know any different. We did kangaroo care in the nicu and breastfed for a short time, I don't think this is any different. What do you guys think?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:40 AM
Replies (51-60):
supermomz25
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:46 PM

my husband or I still shower with our 4 year old because it's faster and easier.

weaveress
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:28 PM

yeah. we blare the beatles, fill the tub with toys, and hang out in the nude. we only do it once a week now, although they ask every fricking time they take a bath. 

Quoting PhoenixMomof3:

Are you all nude? As a family? I don't mean to sound dumb! Hahaa!

Quoting weaveress:

we do family bathes in a garden tub. my kids are 11,9, and 2. we'll stop when my kids are uncomfortable with it or stop begging for a family bath. whichever comes first. 

Kasi Lynn, Calvin David, & Lilith Jade's Mommy
The Work will wait while you show the child the RAINBOW, but the rainbow won't wait while you do your work.

mrsrodgers0703
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:34 PM
That's so great lol!

Quoting weaveress:

yeah. we blare the beatles, fill the tub with toys, and hang out in the nude. we only do it once a week now, although they ask every fricking time they take a bath. 

Quoting PhoenixMomof3:

Quoting weaveress:

we do family bathes in a garden tub. my kids are 11,9, and 2. we'll stop when my kids are uncomfortable with it or stop begging for a family bath. whichever comes first. 

PhoenixMomof3
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:55 AM
All of my kids took showers and baths with me, I'm fine with all of that part. I think it's natural to be naked and to be close like that! (I saw on other posts that they talked about kangarooing! We have always done that! Starting with my son who was 2 months early, via the suggestion of the Dr. The close, skin to skin contact, is healthy and bonding!I am all for it!) But yes, to take that into the teen years and/or beyond would be something that we would have needed to 'grow' with.

That being said tho... I still walk around naked in front of my mom and I am 31. If I am just getting out of the shower and she has something to speak with me about, she comes in. And visa versa. I work in health care and have seen a bazillion people naked and I am very comfortable, and in turn I think it helps their comfort level. I could easily live at a nudist colony and be just fine... and actually, I have nude art around my house, which some people find to be vrry offensive, especially considering I do have a teenage son and I simply disagree. He has not been raised to sexualize every naked body. He has been raised to appriciate and embrace raw beauty, raw life, raw humanity... it IS beautiful. I have pencil art that a friend of mine did of somewhat obese people as well. It is from the back and i found it to be moving as it was done from a live model and I was touched by the confidence and empowerment of a 'less than perfect in the eyes of our society' individual to pose with such strength. I find it encouraging. It screams, "I DECIDE THAT I AM PERFECT IN THE EYES IN THE MIRROR... NOT YOU." I love it.

So yeah, I think the only issue for us would be my son's raising and the raising of my SD. I would be fine with such a thing... for them, I think they would be uncomfortable. My husband, I am not sure. He has slowly become more and more comfortable with all natural belief system! Hahaa! At first it took him by storm! Hahaaa! But he digs it more so now, but he is very protective of our bodies. For example, we are looking at homes in the country and I had commented that I couldn't wait cuz as a kid, when no one was home, I would walk from my bedroom to the lake naked and swim... and then sun bathe nude, ect. I would also garden nude. It just feels great, being one with everything. I said I can't wait to have the privacy again to live so freely. He stared at me for a minute like I was crazy and finally says, "Yeah. Ok. Not till I get a fence and a locked driveway gate up." Hahaa! Whatever old man!

Quoting mrsrodgers0703:

Lol I love bath time with my son and so does my husband. If we had a garden tub we would probably do family baths. I like the feeling of my family being super open and comfy with each other :)

I know what you mean though if I was growing up and not accustomed to it I can imagine it being quite awkward lol.

Quoting PhoenixMomof3:

Well, that's what I figured too but, wow! That's wild! My friend tease me for being more on the hippy side... but being in a tub, with my teenagers, naked! Hahaa! That would never fly in this house! I can just imagine their faces if I were to say, "Ok everyone! Undress! Bath time!" They would DIE! BAHAAA!

Heck! I might say it just to see their reaction! I'm always finding 'family bonding' stuff! I'll just tell them it was a suggestion I saw on CM!

But the hippy in me is like, yeah, thats kinda cool. That level of comfort with each other. Ya know?

Quoting mrsrodgers0703:

I would assume if they are bathing, they are nude lol!

Quoting PhoenixMomof3:

Quoting weaveress:

aidyns_mommy
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:57 AM
We stopped when he got more curious about body parts instead of the water. Around 2.5....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:57 AM

When they question body parts.

raye-chan
by Raye on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:58 AM
my hubby and I kinda did with our son. He's 11 months old now and sits up and does just fine whenever I put him in the tub to bathe without one of us sitting in there helping. Now I sit in the floor and bathe him that way and let him splash and play to his heart's content lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NoahandEliza
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:00 AM
I still do with my 18 month old dd. It's so much easier than having to wait til she takes a nap or trying to bend over the tub with my baby bump. I think ds was about 4 and that's because he suddenly became independant and wanted to do it by himself.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:00 AM

IDk my 4 year old daughter just decided the other day while I was taking a bath to hop in. I felt like she was too old for it, she is so innocent and did not see it as a bad thing yet. We are both girls though, if it were my son he would not even be allowed in the bathroom with me.

aponder
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:00 AM

My son used to cry for me when I'd get in the walk in shower so I started just taking him with me.  He finally got over his fear of me being in there around 3 years old.  I started demanding my bathroom privacy with him about the time he got to be 4.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN