Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What is the value of life? (warning, pictures of where you food comes from within)

Posted by   + Show Post

How do we judge the value on life? What determines the price of each life form? Who determines these costs and who is responsible for spending them?

Our world is changing faster than species can keep up. Plant and animals that have survived millions of years are now being wiped out. If not for the indirect influence of climate and habitat change caused by humanity, than directly by our selfish actions and our insatiable need for more.

There is a balance to be found and modern humanity has not found it. Many understand the importance of it, but there are countless others who live in the comforts of a modern world supplied with grocery stores and lumberyards that cannot even comprehend where their food, supplies, and even the very home they live in has come from.

For those who live on the cuffs of mass human civilization, we have seen the reality of human demand. It is our farmers and ranchers, our husbands and fathers that work with the earth to supply an ever growing need for more.

But there is not enough. More is wanted faster than it can be produced without harming the factory that produces it. Meat animals are crammed together in tight living quarters, never to see the sun or to take a single breath of fresh air. They walk knee deep in their own feces and chew at the dead carcases of their brothers and sisters left to decay at their feet.

Their meats flavor of their own waste, yet we are so accused to the taste, many turn a nose up to how fresh, wild raise meats coat the palate. They scream and point fingers of hatred at those who attempt to live life in a balanced and healthy way. Ignorant of what their own lives cost because they never have to see it.

The trees. There are some who can feel the soul within a tree. To know that this great, living creature is no mere plant. It is earth itself. Her life blood. Our existence relies heavily upon tress and what they do to our air, water, and climate. Their existence supplying our world with habitats that cannot be replaced by human zoos. We destroy them by the millions. Money fueling a desire for more as our numbers grow and grow, but our trees cannot grow fast enough.

Protesters illegally attempt to save the lives of these precious, irreplaceable entities. They tie themselves to the trees and stand in the way against production. Against money. Policeman spray non-violent, seated demonstrators directly in the eyes with pepper spray. Yet these heroes, while they scream in agony, do not abandon their posts.

These types of heroes span back many years through many battles and wars. They can be seen throughout history. In WWII, Vavilov Institute workers protected a seed bank from citizens who were raving mad with starvation. They protected the seeds because they knew it meant the future for humanity. They were irreplaceable stores of food. Four of the scientists died of starvation within feet of a mother-load of nutrients. They surrendered they lives for the future of our species. Yet, most of us know nothing about this bit of history and take for granted the many types of veggies and fruits we enjoy today that would not be here if it weren't for their heroic sacrifices.

We fight so adamantly to defend the lives of unborn humans. Some fight to end to destruction and starvation of humanity that lives and dies today. Yet, there are still fewer who stand to fight for the lives of billions of species across the world. Who understand that saving them means saving all of us.

They are heroes but we are told to view them as criminal because they illegally fight against money and production. What they are fighting for isn't just the trees and the animals. They are fighting for us.They understand something that blinds the masses.

Money is only useful when there is a resource to fuel it. Our entire existence relies on the health and proficiency of our world. You destroy her, you destroy your resources. Your money will be worthless then. Our existence will perish from the earth.

Perhaps that is for the best. The earth created us, a species capable of altering her very makeup. We have forever put our mark on the world. Even after we have long since passed, our time here will forever scar her oceans, mountains, and plains. It will be our own doing when we destroy ourselves. Greed and consumption and ignorance fueled by our true god fondly known as money and materialistic wealth.

So what is the value of life? Does that value outweigh the worth of that which we worship most of all? An undeniably influential god known by many names and idolized in many forms. Who decides what the value is to the human life? Is this value ultimately summed up by those who have the most faith in this god? Or is it the value we place on our sustainable existence and the planet that provides for us all? 

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:53 AM
Replies (11-20):
raye-chan
by Raye on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:25 AM

Very interesting to see it from your side. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Celtic_Dragon:

I suggest actually reading (and processing) the post.

Quoting Anonymous:

Hubby has worked with pigs and cows.  We live in farm country and have killed chickens from the pen for dinner.  My kids know where their food comes from. Pigs die in their pens all the time from ass loads of things you cant stop it.  Do you want the farmer to sit there and baby sit them and to be honest with you I have never eaten polar bears or baby seals so are those in there to get the aww =( factor that you want.  I have never seen someone say MEAT I need MORE MEAT!!! 

Im not even going to continue with your passive agressive post but I will say YOU shoved every farmer in a box and pointed a finger at them saying you dont give a damn.  There are still small farmers that take very good care of their animals.  Some people only see the bad not the good.  Sorry you couldnt open your eyes

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:30 AM
1 mom liked this

The value of life really depends on where it is coming from.

I mean if I run to McDonald's I am only looking to spend about $5.99 for my quarter pounder meal deal.

If, on the other hand, I am headed up the road a little ways to get that all you can eat shrimp and crab leg dinner I am fully expecting to throw down about $26.99 for my meal.

Of course I could just shoot throw Wendy's and grab a $.99 thing of chili for a quick bite too.  

Celtic_Dragon
by Gold Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:34 AM

My mother and I had an argument about Pits when I was visiting over the holiday. We have a history with pit bulls that is not pleasant. My mom had to shoot one for jumping a 7 foot fence and eating out chickens. She actually killed it while it was hanging from the fence with a hen in his mouth. The same dog attacked me when I was 6 years old and playing in my back yard.

I don't hate pit bulls. I judge dogs (and animals in general) on an individual basis. Dogs are very intelligent animals and have personalities and emotions just like people do. I do not believe their entire breed should be wiped out. That is crazy to me. That is no different than killing an entire human population due to physical features because some that looked like them have a violent history.

My mom is pretty ignorant on the subject. She told me that Pit Bulls are not a true "breed" and I told her that a breed is determined by physical features and paperwork, they are not like sub-species or anything. She tried to tell me they were mutts, so I used this to my advantage as she continued her argument.

She thinks that everyone should have their dogs put to sleep if they have pit bulls. I asked her how they were going to enforce this law. Are they going to kill only the AKC registered dogs or are they going to kill the mutts that simply "look" like a pit bull? What if your dog isn't really a pit at all but has some of the features? Does that give the government a right to turn around and kill your pet animal that has never even snarled at another person simply because they LOOK a certain way? How is that even sane?

Anyway, I did a lot of protests when I was in college. It is harder now that I have small children that are not yet in school. I'm a journalist so I find most of my opportunity to take a stand in my story telling.

Quoting GypsyMom2012:

I thought this was an insightful post. I wonder, how much of an activist are you? 

I do love meeting others like myself, ones who participate in protests, work hard for the cause you believe in... What is your stand on Pit Bulls? {I have been fighting to save the trees and enviornment. I plant trees every chance I get (about 6 - 8 months out of the year).}

Celtic_Dragon
by Gold Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:38 AM

Hmm. We raise our own meat and hunt our own food. I live in a vast community of farmers. You didn't read or correctly comprehend my post at all. If your inability to decipher rhetoric is passive aggressive on my part, I can't really do much to ratify that other than to tell you to re-read.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Celtic_Dragon:

Quoting Anonymous:

Hubby has worked with pigs and cows.  We live in farm country and have killed chickens from the pen for dinner.  My kids know where their food comes from. Pigs die in their pens all the time from ass loads of things you cant stop it.  Do you want the farmer to sit there and baby sit them and to be honest with you I have never eaten polar bears or baby seals so are those in there to get the aww =( factor that you want.  I have never seen someone say MEAT I need MORE MEAT!!! 

Im not even going to continue with your passive agressive post but I will say YOU shoved every farmer in a box and pointed a finger at them saying you dont give a damn.  There are still small farmers that take very good care of their animals.  Some people only see the bad not the good.  Sorry you couldnt open your eyes

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:40 AM
This

Quoting Anonymous:

anon1986East
by Kali on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:41 AM

eh...I still love meat and have no issue with killing animals for food. However I don't agree with killing animals for material needs. I also don't agree with the conditions that animals are kept when dealing with mass producing factories. I believe efforts should be made to preserve animals for the sake of our future, I also think  more plant life should be protected - I don't agree with destroying any kind of area without an actual need. At 16 I organized a rally against our town mayor, she wanted to be able to view our town's monument from her office window which included cutting down most of a small wooded area (an area I spent years playing in as a child) but alas she had that area cut down - what did the town do with all the trees? They dug a big ditch in the middle of the woods and buried them. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:41 AM
1 mom liked this

What is the point of this post? Stop human procreating? Stop eating meat? Kill all new kids that are born? WHAT? This is beyond stupid. We are the top of the food chain for a reason. Yes, chickens and the like are mistreated in many places, however they are bred to be butchered. I know many chickens who have good lives as pets. So what? Global warming....well, that is up to the government, right? Extremists make no sense.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:45 AM

Quoting Celtic_Dragon:

Hmm. We raise our own meat and hunt our own food. I live in a vast community of farmers. You didn't read or correctly comprehend my post at all. If your inability to decipher rhetoric is passive aggressive on my part, I can't really do much to ratify that other than to tell you to re-read.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Celtic_Dragon:

Quoting Anonymous:

Your right, I didnt read your Greenpeace peta post.  Didnt really want to waste my time and have waisted to much time replying to you. Hmm I think Im gonna go fries me up some chickens and makes me some steaks! MMMHHHHMMMMMM!

GypsyMom2012
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:46 AM

Pit Bull is too a breed... "American Pit Bull Terrier" Kind of like Labrador Retriever, English Springer Spaniel, Anglo-Francais do Petite Venerie, etc. They all get abbreviated. I am sorry to hear about that dog that ate your chickens and attacked you. I wish we could do that to the irresponsible owners who do not train or train improperly. The ones who let their dogs be all helter skelter. 

I have 2 Pit Bulls, 1 Chihuahua, and 3 cats. They live quite harmoniously and I wouldn't trade them for anything but my own child. Well, the dogs anyway, lol. I am happy to say that through peaceful protesting, we have earned the right to have more than 2 dogs in our homes without having fines imposed on us as of last summer. Before, regardless of breed, residents of Salt Lake County could not have more than two pets, now we get to have as many as we want, as long as we can afford them. :D Yaaaay!

I do want to point out that when it comes to fighting for a cause, it takes a lot of effort. I have involved my daughter in the less dangerous aspects of activism. My dd's teacher called me in for a conference and she said my dd stated she wanted to be an Activist when she grew up. Apparently, that isn't such a good thing as far as this teacher is concerned. So I said, okay... And? The teacher actually had the audacity to tell me that wasn't a proper profession and I should be encouraging my daughter to persue real job options. I looked at her and said, "My daughter is 8 years old. She will change her mind about a million times before she figures out what she wants to do. And then she will change is another 200 times because she is still looking. If my daughter wants to be an activist, I will support that. There are worse things to become... (Im a snarky bitch) Like becoming a teacher."

My daughter told me today she wants to be a bus driver, so there ya go. :D 8 years old and exploring her options. Her teacher doesn't like me much right now. lol, Oh well. 

We are planting bulbs this week, what are you up to?

Quoting Celtic_Dragon:

My mother and I had an argument about Pits when I was visiting over the holiday. We have a history with pit bulls that is not pleasant. My mom had to shoot one for jumping a 7 foot fence and eating out chickens. She actually killed it while it was hanging from the fence with a hen in his mouth. The same dog attacked me when I was 6 years old and playing in my back yard.

I don't hate pit bulls. I judge dogs (and animals in general) on an individual basis. Dogs are very intelligent animals and have personalities and emotions just like people do. I do not believe their entire breed should be wiped out. That is crazy to me. That is no different than killing an entire human population due to physical features because some that looked like them have a violent history.

My mom is pretty ignorant on the subject. She told me that Pit Bulls are not a true "breed" and I told her that a breed is determined by physical features and paperwork, they are not like sub-species or anything. She tried to tell me they were mutts, so I used this to my advantage as she continued her argument.

She thinks that everyone should have their dogs put to sleep if they have pit bulls. I asked her how they were going to enforce this law. Are they going to kill only the AKC registered dogs or are they going to kill the mutts that simply "look" like a pit bull? What if your dog isn't really a pit at all but has some of the features? Does that give the government a right to turn around and kill your pet animal that has never even snarled at another person simply because they LOOK a certain way? How is that even sane?

Anyway, I did a lot of protests when I was in college. It is harder now that I have small children that are not yet in school. I'm a journalist so I find most of my opportunity to take a stand in my story telling.

Quoting GypsyMom2012:

I thought this was an insightful post. I wonder, how much of an activist are you? 

I do love meeting others like myself, ones who participate in protests, work hard for the cause you believe in... What is your stand on Pit Bulls? {I have been fighting to save the trees and enviornment. I plant trees every chance I get (about 6 - 8 months out of the year).}

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)