Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Putting step kids in your will

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies

My mom came to me yesterday upset. She said that after her parents sat her down and showed her their will (where she, as their only surviving child will get everything) her and her DH had a talk about their wills. They keep their day to day money (money they get from their paychecks and pay bills with) together but savings, retirement and property are separately owned. After seeing exactly what she stands to inherit (close to a million in their home and money), he asked about her will. She told him that it was pretty straight forward, that everything that is in just her name (house, savings accounts plus what she gets from her parents)  will be divided up amongst her 4 children. Everything they have together will go to him. She said he sounded shocked that she didn't put his children in her will. She told him that she left a few pieces of jewelry to his DD and DD in law and a few things to his son, but yes, of course the bulk of what she has will go to her own children. She told me she isn't sure why he would expect otherwise, they keep those things separate so why should his kids get it. I certainly don't expect to be given anything from him in his will (he has is his house, which he currently rents out, and some saving). He told her that because of the extent of what she will have, he did expect his children to be included in the will. What do you think?

Also, added info, they didn't get married until 2 years ago, all of their children were grown and out of the house by then so it's not like were are a blended family.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hootowl21
by Gold Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:13 AM
I'd probably do what your mom did.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
katcb1019
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree with your mom
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Yep. And thats another reason why I think it is a joke when people on here say they (or their dh) love the skids as much as their own. When it comes to to it, their bio-kids will always come first.

anotherhalf
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this
He is being unreasonable. If she raised his children it might be different but she didn't.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brebugmom91
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:19 AM
I agree with your mom. There would be no way in Hell my mom would leave a crap load of money to my stepsister. Lol
Unoriginal.
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this
They got married when their children were adults. That's a bit different.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yep. And thats another reason why I think it is a joke when people on here say they (or their dh) love the skids as much as their own. When it comes to to it, their bio-kids will always come first.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babymama2009883
by Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:21 AM

I agree with your mom. I would never expect something from my SM or SD they have their own kids to worry about and my parents have my siblings and I

elijahXmom
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:22 AM
It all up to your mom I love it how family looks at death as a paycheck.

Quoting Anonymous:

My mom came to me yesterday upset. She said that after her parents sat her down and showed her their will (where she, as their only surviving child will get everything) her and her DH had a talk about their wills. They keep their day to day money (money they get from their paychecks and pay bills with) together but savings, retirement and property are separately owned. After seeing exactly what she stands to inherit (close to a million in their home and money), he asked about her will. She told him that it was pretty straight forward, that everything that is in just her name (house, savings accounts plus what she gets from her parents)  will be divided up amongst her 4 children. Everything they have together will go to him. She said he sounded shocked that she didn't put his children in her will. She told him that she left a few pieces of jewelry to his DD and DD in law and a few things to his son, but yes, of course the bulk of what she has will go to her own children. She told me she isn't sure why he would expect otherwise, they keep those things separate so why should his kids get it. I certainly don't expect to be given anything from him in his will (he has is his house, which he currently rents out, and some saving). He told her that because of the extent of what she will have, he did expect his children to be included in the will. What do you think?

Also, added info, they didn't get married until 2 years ago, all of their children were grown and out of the house by then so it's not like were are a blended family.

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:25 AM
He's being unreasonable. If they had been married since the step kids were children it might be different.

My mom and her husband are leaving their individual stuff to their bio kids. I think her husband wrote my son in because his bio grandkids live far away and he barely k.owe them, and he is the only grandfather my son has. But as an adult stepchild I expect nothing from him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SnapIt
by Ruby Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:43 AM

considering the marriage wasnt until recent yrs and the kids were NOT raised by her, she has no obligation to leave them anything.

She doesnt have to at all to anyone, if she doesnt want to.

Hes insane and greedy if he thinks she should, especially if he said "considering the amount shes getting". Nerve of him. Id have a talk with her in what she leaves him after that comment and who she is putting in charge as well. She should now be aware where his mind is. She should make a copy of this will and leave it in the care of a trust worthy person. I dont know why people get crazed when money that doesnt belong to them comes into the picture. If its not theirs, they need to move the hell on and be grateful if they are left anything. To tell someone what they should do with any money is selfish and wrong

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)