Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

You are pregnant, but it's not YOUR baby.

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:17 PM
  • 134 Replies

I am watching Dateline. This couple had IVF treatments and they later found out that the woman was pregnant, but that the wrong embryos had been implanted into her. The couple who the embryos belonged to want the baby. So what would you do? Would you terminate the pregnancy and start over with your own embryos or would you carry the baby to term and give it to the other couple? Would you give birth and fight to keep the baby, knowing that he/she wasn't biologically yours, and that he/she had bio parents who desperately wanted him/her? What would you do?

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:19 PM
8 moms liked this
Hell no! Not my fault. I would continue with the pregnancy and raise it as my own.
Evenstar.
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this

That's a very hard situation. I don't think you could answer that until you were actually in it.  

mrssummerlin
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:20 PM
29 moms liked this
I would be making the parents of that baby pay for EVERYTHING that had to do with that child. Then after baby was born I would be taking those stupid ass doctors to court over this because I just gave up my body for 9 months for a baby that wasn't even mine and PAID THEM for treatments that they clearly fucked up!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SalemWitchChild
by Blessed be on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:20 PM

This

Quoting Anonymous:

Hell no! Not my fault. I would continue with the pregnancy and raise it as my own.

motherslove82
by Ruby Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:21 PM

That was my fist thought, too, but it wasn't the other couple's fault either. 

Quoting Anonymous:

tiffs2009
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:22 PM
1 mom liked this
100% this!

Quoting mrssummerlin:

I would be making the parents of that baby pay for EVERYTHING that had to do with that child. Then after baby was born I would be taking those stupid ass doctors to court over this because I just gave up my body for 9 months for a baby that wasn't even mine and PAID THEM for treatments that they clearly fucked up!
CutieCrab
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Quoting mrssummerlin:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:23 PM
Well, true but they can't blame me for wanting to if the shoe was on the other foot. And I wouldn't expect them to hand me over their baby that she carried for 9 months. It was the docs fault.

Quoting motherslove82:

Quoting Anonymous:

motherslove82
by Ruby Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:24 PM

I agree with you. They said "the doctor offered both couples free IVF treatments if the pregnant woman decided to terminate". I thought "are you kidding me? What if she carries that baby and gives it away? You aren't going to give her free IVF when she's ready to do it again, if she can do it again?"

Quoting mrssummerlin:

motherslove82
by Ruby Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:28 PM

The show is acting like the pregnant couple being able to keep the baby was not an option. I don't know what state they are in, but I know in most places the birth mother has all of the rights, despite biology. Many states don't even recognize surrogacy. The parents have to adopt their own baby. I don't know if they never considered keeping the baby, or if the state has strange laws. That wasn't even discussed except that they hoped that the bio parents would let them keep the baby. I added the option because it is certainly something I would consider.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well, true but they can't blame me for wanting to if the shoe was on the other foot. And I wouldn't expect them to hand me over their baby that she carried for 9 months. It was the docs fault.

Quoting motherslove82:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN