Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Have i screwed up my children?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
my children love their TV, wii, ds, and tablets. They want to play them 24/7. I try to limit it. And through the school week they aren't allowed anything but some tv after homework is done except on weekends. My problem if they don't have that stuff they lay around and mope. Especially my son. My girls will play a little though.. they are sooo lazy... how can I fix this?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Replies (11-20):
elijahXmom
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Me too that why I took it all away.

Quoting GhettoKoolAide:

I love messy play and so does my one year old, lol.

It makes me sad to see kids who can't survive without electronics.

Quoting elijahXmom:

Had to do that here

Quoting GhettoKoolAide:

I would be taking it all away for a looooong time. I would make homeade scented play dough ( or yummy edible play dough) and some small sensors tubs. Plenty of art supplies and of course the have their toys.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
VannaMae307
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:38 PM
make some crafts, go bowling, go to the park, go to the library. My 3 year old has his little gadgets too but I have really put effort into making him not become co-dependent on them. Have a family fun day where you go bowling and the winner gets to bake cookies! or just bake some cookiea and let each one decorate a few of them with their own flare.

valentines day is coming up. get them started on some crafts or cards that they can send out to grandmas or friends! busy their hands and their minds will switch back to non-electric mode.
cueballsmom
by Gold Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Go WITH them OUTSIDE and play with them.
Fill the living room with balloons one day. Have a contest on who can sit on them and break the most. Could even put coins or slips that say "one free----"
Go to dollar tree. Get the posters with letters, one for each kid.
Then get packs of cards, dollar tree has lots of different ones. Then get playdoh.
Use the play doh on the back of the cards, have the kids work on age appropriate skills, like my 8 year old would pin hers matching the first letter of the name if the object on the card. Or a small kid could match colors. Winner gets a special dessert. (Cherries on their ice cream or just something they love)

There are lots to do WITH your kids. But you have to start it!
JOEJULA
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:41 PM
Hey you are in my situation! We are going to do a schedule of 45 minutes of x box and game time. After homework!
Snapdragon88
by Ruby Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:41 PM

I would personally take them away and show them how to have fun without that stuff. My 4 yr old was watching a lot of PBS shows right after I had a baby.. I was just so tired and busy caring for a crazy newborn, lol. But after things calmed down I noticed that he was WAY too attached to Caillou and decided to turn the tv off permanently for a while. It didn't take long for him to rediscover his love for toys, play dough, and crayons. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:41 PM
This is so sad, my niece is this way. I have never in my life seen such a lazy nerdy kid as she is. Then again, she's just like her mother so the apple didn't fall far from the tree.
RaynesMommy07
by Ruby Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:43 PM
Put your foot down and enroll them
In some sports or after school activities. You're the parent, give them more to do than video games/technology.
Momof5kids84
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this

You can sign them up for extracirricular activities like sports, dancing, martial arts, book clubs, boy scouts, girl scouts, YMCA stuff, etc.  Get them out of the house.  No, you haven't screwed them up, and it's great that you are seeing something wrong with this picture now. Good luck! :)

Wife to a wonderful man, and mother to five beautiful children. :)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
louzannalady
by Gold Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:45 PM

By playing games with them. Get board games: Monopoly, Life, Chutes and Ladders, card games, dice games. Go for walks outside. Join the YMCA and go swimming year round. Have them join karate or dance class. Interact with your children!!!!!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:48 PM
1 mom liked this

My girls were like that. I killed the internet and cable for a week. I told my girls I forgot to mail the bill in. I actually just disconnected it. It was the best week ever!! I have since turned everything back on but in that one week it pulled them out of their trance that they were in andthey play outside more, now that they found it again. LOL!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN