Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Have i screwed up my children?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
my children love their TV, wii, ds, and tablets. They want to play them 24/7. I try to limit it. And through the school week they aren't allowed anything but some tv after homework is done except on weekends. My problem if they don't have that stuff they lay around and mope. Especially my son. My girls will play a little though.. they are sooo lazy... how can I fix this?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Replies (191-197):
Jalestra
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:46 AM

I had the same problem...I'd say no you haven't. I mean, you've set limits on them. If my kids get all mopey because I won't let them stray outside the limits I just tell them I'll throw their toys away since they don't want to play with them. It'd clear up ALOT of room. I use that one when they can't go outside and they usually run up there to play with them to show me they still use them. They get so caught up they forget they were trying to convince me to go over limits. If it's nice enough, bikes and basketball outside, playing with the dog, etc. 

I also keep play-doh and art supplies that they have constant access to, to encourage imaginative play. Then the tons of board games. They have options, I just have to remind them sometimes. If they get too worked up over electronics they know I'll remove them for awhile just to show life is just as good without them.

RigPrincess85
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:14 AM

Do the tablets have controls where you can limit there time on it?? We just got one for SD who is turning 5 tomorrow and it has a setting where it can't be turned on during certain hours and when it is on, you can limit the amount of play instead of waiting on a battery. 

Maybe make up chore chart for them to earn time on their tablets?

Quoting Anonymous:

I thought about taking it all away but they just got their tabs for christmas.. I let them play them in the mornings till they need charges then they are done for the day. Its cold and a muddy mess outside.. they have lots of toys but bare always bored. They are 10 8 and 5

lancet98
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:40 AM

You can do what my friend did.   If they don't exercise, they get carrot sticks and celery and water for dinner.   If they exercise, they get a nice dinner.

She had to do it ONCE...LOL.

One hour of exercise a  day, in continuous motion, minimum(in addition to gym at school).   Bike riding, playing yard games like keepaway or flag tag, digging in the snow, almost any form of exercise (except watching someone else play).  

Basically, just one more thing they are required to do, like going to school or taking a bath.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 34 on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:05 AM
1 mom liked this
I am HIPPOing from the 1st page to ask OP, why did you buy them tablets? Its like giving crack to a drug addict, IMHO.

Do your kids see you and/or your husband on the computer/cell/xbox? If so, its time to get a black box and put all cellphones in it at a designated time, like dinner time. They can't come out until the following morning. Use the house phone for phone calls. Also, might be tme to have NO xbox/entertainment electronics except for weekend. Put computer in the living room for school use only except on the weekends.

It may be kind of radical and the kids WON'T like it so there will be pushback. I suspect you and husband may have a harder time than the kids. If you want them to use electronics less then you BOTH need to use them less. Also, let the kids see you guys reading, doing a non~electronic hobby, litening to music etc. Have activities for them to do and do things (outings) together
iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:15 AM
More activities are needed. Sign them up for soccer or dance. Go to the park together. Ride bikes. Break out the board games.

We love technology too, but like you, we limit it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momtotwo08
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:17 AM
My 4 yo son is the same way. He would stay on his 3ds and kindle 24/7 if I would let him. He had a total meltdown yesterday when I told him he needed to turn it off and play(he had been on it about 30 min). I take him outside and jump on the trampoline with him, play soccer, baseball, play board games etc.
supercarp
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:50 AM

It is true that their brains may be changed by their tv watching, etc, which I why I don't think young children should watch tv on a regular basis. You may have to take it away for longer periods if it isn't working. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN