Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Have i screwed up my children?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
my children love their TV, wii, ds, and tablets. They want to play them 24/7. I try to limit it. And through the school week they aren't allowed anything but some tv after homework is done except on weekends. My problem if they don't have that stuff they lay around and mope. Especially my son. My girls will play a little though.. they are sooo lazy... how can I fix this?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Replies (41-50):
boldrumble
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:23 PM
2 moms liked this
No. Make them take breaks, but honestly, i dont think electronics are as awful as some people think. Both my son and I enjoy tv and video games and we enjoy them together. We also go outside, play legos, board games, read, etc.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:26 PM
1 mom liked this

You are right to be concerned, in my opinion.  This generation of children is pretty addicted to screens and I find it worrisome. 

My kids are teens now but I limit it to weekends and vacations only.  I notice that the behavior and attitudes worsen the more they play, especially my youngest.

We've been out with people whose kids cannot interact with others and who bring their portable devices everywhere and play them the entire time.  I once watched a Grandma at another restaurant table try unsuccessfully to talk to her grandchild who could not be dragged away from his screen.  Very sad. 

mommybug77
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:27 PM
Quoting GhettoKoolAide:

I would be taking it all away for a looooong time. I would make homeade scented play dough ( or yummy edible play dough) and some small sensors tubs. Plenty of art supplies and of course the have their toys.

you must have small kids, that answer screams toddler.
DannieLou
by Mockingjay on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:27 PM
My DSS seriously needs some help with this. He goes bananas if he can't watch TV, play Xbox, his DS or with his new tablet. I'm going to talk to DH about setting up limits for all the kids so he doesn't feel singled out.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gabby416
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:28 PM

make them go outside.  have a family game night.  You are the parent, you are in control, I have been known to kick my kids out for an hour and make them be outside, they eventually start to play.  I don't get what's with kids these days, sure I like games and being on the computer too, but when I was child, I loved to play outside and with my friends, I hated being stuck inside.  Times have really changed.  That just made me feel old.  fok, fok, fuck!

cimaloreschell
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:29 PM

No one is bitching because they bought their kids electronics their only saying that they fear there on it to much and when there not there bored  and a lot of this depends on the age of the kids Mine are the same and one is 14  it gets dark very early there in school all day they come home then they have home work so they play awhile on xbox  what is the big deal

redhead-bedhead

Send them outside. 

lucsch
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Well, they've learned to be entertained all the time. Give them time to detox from it. Eventually, their natural curiousity and urge to play will come back to them. Provide some board games and puzzles. Take them to the library and help them choose books to read. Get the box of legos out.

gabby416

P.S.  My kids have game consoles, but they don't get to play them too often, and honestly, I am lucky, they take after me and love to play outside.  I have enstilled that and encouraged it since they were babies.  I play with them.  Lead by example.

redhead-bedhead
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Take them to the library to get books.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)