Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

do you consider yourself Christian????....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Even if you don't go to church and neither do you read the bible or pray ??
Or because you went there a couple of times???
Or because you have family that's Christian that go to church???

I see alot of people around me calling themselves Christians and they don't even go to church, then thres some who be calling themselves Christians because their families go to church...
My point is why would you called yourself that if you don't even have no type of relationship with god or neither have you accepted him???
I mean i was raised in church forcefully by my family growing up up until 15 yrs old.. then as i got older i stop going because it just didn't feel right going knowing i wasn't feeling the church where i was assisting or knowing i wasn't gonna pay any attention. If i go to church again someday is because deep in my heart im gonna want to have a relationship back with god. But right up until know i don't wanna call myself Christian knowing im not going to church or neither do i have a relationship with god at all.br />
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:21 PM
Replies (41-50):
jessi2girls
by Ruby Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Let me ask you something.. what are God's two greated commandments? 

Matthews 22: 36-40.. 36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Says nothing about church.. or having to read your bible.. ;).. in fact, with the obsession you are placing on the church, it's almost to the point of worshipping the church above your believe in God.. which is actually a sin in and of itself..... 

just saying. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Don't you think is disrespectful fooling yourself and im gods eyes calling yourself Christian knowing you dont even assisting church or read the bible???

Quoting thetrollcat:

what difference does it make if I do or do not go to church? What is the point when I cannot hear anyhow?

camsmami
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:44 PM
I feel you. I can't quote scripture. I was raised in a small Southern Baptist church. Went wayward and crazy at 14. Had my daughter at 19. At 20, I found Christ for real. I was down, and he was the only answer. I was saved in church and got really involved. I started seeing those who were the most involved out partying and drinking and everything else, it killed it for me. Once again I drifted. A few months ago i had never been so low and down in my entire life. I hit my knees in my bathroom and vowed to never go back again. And i refuse to go back to that world. Being a Christian is like a whole other world. I've only been to church like 6 times, but i love it. Its small and non denominational.

Quoting marie2409:

Soooo much hypocrisy!! It is one reason I have never found a church I am comfortable with.

I was saved, in my home, by myself. Long story, but anywho. Some may say it "doesn't count" because it wasn't a big show in a church. But I know my relationship with God, we speak often. Just because I can't quote scripture or sing hyms doesn't make me less Christian.

(Wasn't directed at you camsmami, just was replying to you and got fired up!!)

Quoting camsmami:

It doesn't. The hardest thing about church is the hypocrisy these days. Im llucky to have a great home church. But its in Florida and Im in Tennessee. So obviously Im not in church. The church that i was saved in, i can't even watch their live feeds because its all a show anymore rather then being church.

Quoting marie2409:

"Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car"

I know you know people who sit in those church pews every Sunday praising God, then cheating on their spouse repeatedly and other such things. Just like there are pwople who never set foot in a church and are very "christian-like".

Never understood what being in a church building had to do with religion.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cjsix
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Not all churches are like that and not all who are Christian are like that either. I do understand the difficulties and frustrations of not being able to hear what they are saying and reading. Is it possible to talk to the pastor and ask that they find someone who can sign or another way to help you and maybe others in your situation? Maybe if you don't feel comfortable at that church...whether it be that particular parish or the denomination itself...you can find another which you do.

Quoting thetrollcat:

How does going to church sitting there staring at the wall because I cannot hear going to make me a better christian? I am deaf, you understand? I don't hear anything. I just sit there for two long boring hours shuffling around.

As for christianity, I get what you are saying and in a great deal of cases I agree, however, being a "christian" is not what gets you to heaven or brings you closer to God, or devoted to God.

I have seen many people that attend church and are the furthest away from God "thinking" they are God's devoted ones. These same people put on a "show" act all holy and falling down crying and blah blah, then when church is over its like others don't exist their behaviors are terrible.

So no, I wouldn't say church in any way makes you better christian or closer to God or devoted to your faith.

Quoting Anonymous:

Don't you think is disrespectful fooling yourself and im gods eyes calling yourself Christian knowing you dont even assisting church or read the bible???

Quoting thetrollcat:

what difference does it make if I do or do not go to church? What is the point when I cannot hear anyhow?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Why do I need to stand in a certain building to be a Christian? Why do I need to give my money to an organization that wastes it on red carpets, brass candle holders, stained glass windows, a state of the art kitchen, and a parsonage house better than most of the other houses in town, in order to be a Christian? If I read my bible, listen more than I talk when I pray, and give money to charity to try and better the world rather than to a church to waste on gold-embossed hymnals and new pipe organs.

Church doesn't equal Christian. In my experience the two can be very very far apart.

..MoonShine..
by Gold Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Again I say, it is not your place to judge their walk with their god. The only one you should worry about is yours. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I understand too what your saying but is not just going about going to church. Its about people not even praying from home or neither reading the bible or making an effort to look for god... and then they brag so much outside in the streets that their Christians...
I mean doesn't that make the real Christians that do look for god look wrong???

Quoting thetrollcat:

How does going to church sitting there staring at the wall because I cannot hear going to make me a better christian? I am deaf, you understand? I don't hear anything. I just sit there for two long boring hours shuffling around.

As for christianity, I get what you are saying and in a great deal of cases I agree, however, being a "christian" is not what gets you to heaven or brings you closer to God, or devoted to God.

I have seen many people that attend church and are the furthest away from God "thinking" they are God's devoted ones. These same people put on a "show" act all holy and falling down crying and blah blah, then when church is over its like others don't exist their behaviors are terrible.

So no, I wouldn't say church in any way makes you better christian or closer to God or devoted to your faith.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting thetrollcat:

marie2409
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:49 PM
I live in Arkansas, not going to church is slightly frowned upon lol. Maybe I will find one that fits me someday!

Quoting camsmami:

I feel you. I can't quote scripture. I was raised in a small Southern Baptist church. Went wayward and crazy at 14. Had my daughter at 19. At 20, I found Christ for real. I was down, and he was the only answer. I was saved in church and got really involved. I started seeing those who were the most involved out partying and drinking and everything else, it killed it for me. Once again I drifted. A few months ago i had never been so low and down in my entire life. I hit my knees in my bathroom and vowed to never go back again. And i refuse to go back to that world. Being a Christian is like a whole other world. I've only been to church like 6 times, but i love it. Its small and non denominational.

Quoting marie2409:

Soooo much hypocrisy!! It is one reason I have never found a church I am comfortable with.

I was saved, in my home, by myself. Long story, but anywho. Some may say it "doesn't count" because it wasn't a big show in a church. But I know my relationship with God, we speak often. Just because I can't quote scripture or sing hyms doesn't make me less Christian.

(Wasn't directed at you camsmami, just was replying to you and got fired up!!)

Quoting camsmami:

It doesn't. The hardest thing about church is the hypocrisy these days. Im llucky to have a great home church. But its in Florida and Im in Tennessee. So obviously Im not in church. The church that i was saved in, i can't even watch their live feeds because its all a show anymore rather then being church.

Quoting marie2409:

"Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car"

I know you know people who sit in those church pews every Sunday praising God, then cheating on their spouse repeatedly and other such things. Just like there are pwople who never set foot in a church and are very "christian-like".

Never understood what being in a church building had to do with religion.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Reepicheep.CSL
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:50 PM
1 mom liked this
I am a Christian. Not because I go to church (I do and I love my church family) but because I have a living and growing relationship with Christ.
Fellowship is important, it helps us grow spiritually and it gives us opportunity to grow others but it doesn't make someone a Christian. I know too many people who go to church, are in many groups etc and they have no relationship with Christ.
While it does make me sad that they seem to be faking it, until God tells me to say something to them all I can do is pray for them.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:50 PM
Of course... they smoke weed, cigarettes, some even do drugs and some even talk mad crap to everyone around them, then theres some who even sell drugs. All of that and some of them go to church or be out in the streets bragging.

Quoting Aleta775:

Really? Do you know what they do privately? 

Quoting Anonymous:

I understand some people don't go to church because they feel better doing it from home and prefer reading the bible ,pray and singing Christian songs. But i mean most of the people that be around me they don't even read the bible,neither pray or make an effort to look for god and they brag that their Christians.

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

Going to church makes you a Christian about as much as standing in a garage makes you a car. 

thetrollcat
by Meow on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:51 PM

I understand what you are saying but in all truths I think people get more blinded by their faith reading the bible and taking it so literally that they are extremeists and lose sight of reality. I also find that people that go to church think if they are active in the church that makes them good devoted christians, sadly that is only one fraction of what makes a good devoted christian.

I have seen too often that people that consider themselves devoted christians and attend church religiously, behave unchristian like most days outside the church. The only days they actually pray is in church. Again, you have to realize what you are saying, their active participation in church makes them no closer to God verses those that do not go.

I do agree, that those that want to become closer to God should be more devoted to being around others that are devoted to God, share how to become better christians and better their lives (Bible studies, mission groups, and so forth)

My church was very rude about me devoting my time to the Boys and Girls Club as a volunteer. For many years I ran a performance arts program and they were discouraged I would devote to that but not so much to the church. The fact is, the only way to really become a christian is to also devote to your COMMUNITY. Many churches are so hung up on trying to make their church the NUMBER ONE church in the community offering all these programs and collecting members they have lost sight of why the church is suppose to be. They have also lost sight of the fact that they are ignoring their own communities expecting the community to come to them, when we should be going to our communities and helping people.

My participation at the club was beyond just teaching dance, I was reaching out to troubled children, pre teens, parents that felt they have failed, single moms that were lost and didn't know how to handle their troubled kids. My program gave these kids that come from all sorts of background alcoholism, drug addict parents a place to feel safe, to become a star, to express themselves in an artistic way. The boys were the best, they LOVED their boys hip hop program. Despite the fact they were the wildest, nevertheless, they loved the challenge of learning new stunts and re-directing their attention to devoting to inproving their skills.

While I may not preach my faith to them, nevertheless, I was giving these kids hope that despite their living background, they are all gifted, talented, and shining stars. I encouraged them to focus on school, better their behaviors, became a role model to these kids.

In my opinion, you are not Walking the Steps of Jesus if your only place you are willing to devote is in the church. Jesus travelled and shared his faith, love, and compassion everywhere he went.

THAT is a true christian.

Quoting Anonymous:

I understand too what your saying but is not just going about going to church. Its about people not even praying from home or neither reading the bible or making an effort to look for god... and then they brag so much outside in the streets that their Christians...

Quoting thetrollcat:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting thetrollcat:

~~~~~         =^..^=        ~~~~~
I'm not the cat lady type. I'm more like an actual cat. I want affection when I want it and on my own terms. The rest of the time I want to claw out your eyes and piss in your shoes.  

*marking the 599968yth post/reply being mean, evil, horrible, which makes me worse than anonymous*

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:52 PM
Im not judging im just saying and asking people a question.

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

Again I say, it is not your place to judge their walk with their god. The only one you should worry about is yours. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting thetrollcat:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting thetrollcat:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)