Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you think it's appropriate for teachers to text kids?

Cafe Steph
Come join the fun NOW!
Yesterday at 9:00 PM
Truebies! Come Watch & Discuss Episode 4 TONIGHT at 9pm ET! - CafeMom

Episode 4 of the final season of "True Blood" airs this Sunday at 9pm ET on HBO.Meet us here to watch the show and

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:36 PM
  • 170 Replies
1 mom liked this

Dear Teacher, Stop Texting My Daughter

Posted by Jeanne Sager on January 7, 2013 

textingIn news that is sadly becoming "not news at all," another teacher has been fired for inappropriate behavior with a teenage student. But how's this for a twist? Arthur "Chuck" Matthews is suing Philadelphia area private school Springside Chestnut Hill Academy for discrimination over his texting relationship with a student.

He's using as proof the fact that the girl's parents have said that there was nothing improper about the texts exchanged by Matthews and the young girl. But is it ever really proper for a teacher to be texting a student?

I recognize that kids today are living in a digital world. Their gadgets are often their main means for communicating. And yet, as a mom, I'm wary of adults I don't know well interacting with my kid.

Teachers working with them inside a classroom is one thing. It's a controlled environment where the presence of other kids helps to keep things grounded. At the very least, a teacher who is thinking about stepping over the lines with a student has to be on their toes because they never know when another kid or another teacher is going to pop in and catch them in the act.

Jump to texts, and the threat of being watched is less. So what are they saying in those texts? For that matter, what could they possibly have to say in a text that couldn't be covered in the classroom?

And why would a teacher need a child's personal phone number? Call me old school, but I tend to shield my cellphone number from people who don't absolutely need to have it. It seems overly familiar to share it with people beyond that because it gives people access to me anywhere, anytime.

I know I don't want a teacher accessing my kid anywhere, anytime. That's for sure!

Do you think it's appropriate for teachers to text kids?

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:36 PM
3 moms liked this

No I don't think that's appropriate.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:37 PM
1 mom liked this
I do not think it is right for the teacher to txt/email a student under the age of 18.
mysticalmalissa
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:38 PM
6 moms liked this

No.

If the teacher needs to talk to my child they can do it during school hours, face to face. If there are any other issues that need to be discussed they are free to contact me or my husband.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:39 PM

our HS Band Director texts the kids all the time....to let them know of schedule changes

jjchick75
by Gold Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this

A teacher that they have rigth now? No. I email and text a few of my former students on occasion but they are in college and it's usually to help them with school work. The 3 I keep in touch with our education majors and they enjoy talking with me about it sometimes. I don't teach anymore but I would not text a current student.

Jennifer_236
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:41 PM

i dated a high school teacher and he always texted his students I didnt like it 

MommyLehr
by Veronica on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:41 PM
5 moms liked this
This may be an unpopular opinion, but I don't see it as any different than a teacher emailing a student. I did that with several of my teachers when I was in high school. As long as the messages are limited to assignments and similar topics.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:42 PM
I have my 6th graders teachers phone number. I have let my dd text her off my phone as long as she tells her teacher it is her.
chattycassie
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:42 PM

NO

lovemysnugbugs
by Gold Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I don't think I'd be comfortable with a teacher texting my kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)