Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you think it's appropriate for teachers to text kids?

Posted by   + Show Post

Dear Teacher, Stop Texting My Daughter

Posted by Jeanne Sager on January 7, 2013 

textingIn news that is sadly becoming "not news at all," another teacher has been fired for inappropriate behavior with a teenage student. But how's this for a twist? Arthur "Chuck" Matthews is suing Philadelphia area private school Springside Chestnut Hill Academy for discrimination over his texting relationship with a student.

He's using as proof the fact that the girl's parents have said that there was nothing improper about the texts exchanged by Matthews and the young girl. But is it ever really proper for a teacher to be texting a student?

I recognize that kids today are living in a digital world. Their gadgets are often their main means for communicating. And yet, as a mom, I'm wary of adults I don't know well interacting with my kid.

Teachers working with them inside a classroom is one thing. It's a controlled environment where the presence of other kids helps to keep things grounded. At the very least, a teacher who is thinking about stepping over the lines with a student has to be on their toes because they never know when another kid or another teacher is going to pop in and catch them in the act.

Jump to texts, and the threat of being watched is less. So what are they saying in those texts? For that matter, what could they possibly have to say in a text that couldn't be covered in the classroom?

And why would a teacher need a child's personal phone number? Call me old school, but I tend to shield my cellphone number from people who don't absolutely need to have it. It seems overly familiar to share it with people beyond that because it gives people access to me anywhere, anytime.

I know I don't want a teacher accessing my kid anywhere, anytime. That's for sure!

Do you think it's appropriate for teachers to text kids?

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:36 PM
Replies (161-170):
sheila5745
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:22 PM

No it is not...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 33 on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:47 PM

My SS would get texts on my phone (he didn't have a cell phone)  from his teachers about assignments and such, but it was never personal, it was always about school. That I have no issue with, but a teacher texting about personal stuff is never kosher.

momto2crazykids
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I would think it was strange if my kiddos got texts from their teachers

pregomom468
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:40 PM

no. they can text me if they want and i will relay the message

invisibleme
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:18 PM

My Ds's coaches text him. It lets him know about practice changes and workouts especially if there are location changes due to weather or other cancellations. I have no problems with it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 34 on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:57 PM

i do not thinnk its right at all! I text my teacher because he tells me what day he comes out and the time so we cn do school work thats about it tho.

Ricanme
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 5:25 PM

I think that there is no reason as to why a teacher would ever be texting kids.  The teacher needs to talk directly to the childs parents.

dollhex
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:51 PM

uhm nooo big fat NO 

kaysha
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:01 PM
I agree with this.

Quoting MommyLehr:

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I don't see it as any different than a teacher emailing a student. I did that with several of my teachers when I was in high school. As long as the messages are limited to assignments and similar topics.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
saucymama519
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Personally I don't have a problem with it. I texted my teachers when I was in school frequently concerning assignments. I never texted them for anything beyond that aside from my Drama coach because that schedule was so flakey and I costumed the shows. It made my life a lot easier to be able to text them. As long as the conversations are appropriate I have no issue whatsoever with it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN