Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you think it's appropriate for teachers to text kids?

Posted by   + Show Post

Dear Teacher, Stop Texting My Daughter

Posted by Jeanne Sager on January 7, 2013 

textingIn news that is sadly becoming "not news at all," another teacher has been fired for inappropriate behavior with a teenage student. But how's this for a twist? Arthur "Chuck" Matthews is suing Philadelphia area private school Springside Chestnut Hill Academy for discrimination over his texting relationship with a student.

He's using as proof the fact that the girl's parents have said that there was nothing improper about the texts exchanged by Matthews and the young girl. But is it ever really proper for a teacher to be texting a student?

I recognize that kids today are living in a digital world. Their gadgets are often their main means for communicating. And yet, as a mom, I'm wary of adults I don't know well interacting with my kid.

Teachers working with them inside a classroom is one thing. It's a controlled environment where the presence of other kids helps to keep things grounded. At the very least, a teacher who is thinking about stepping over the lines with a student has to be on their toes because they never know when another kid or another teacher is going to pop in and catch them in the act.

Jump to texts, and the threat of being watched is less. So what are they saying in those texts? For that matter, what could they possibly have to say in a text that couldn't be covered in the classroom?

And why would a teacher need a child's personal phone number? Call me old school, but I tend to shield my cellphone number from people who don't absolutely need to have it. It seems overly familiar to share it with people beyond that because it gives people access to me anywhere, anytime.

I know I don't want a teacher accessing my kid anywhere, anytime. That's for sure!

Do you think it's appropriate for teachers to text kids?

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:36 PM
Replies (31-40):
MrsCountryMama
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:09 PM
Nope
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:13 PM

It is so not appropriate, dh had a friend that is a teacher and he had a slew of students as friends on his private fb, I joked that when the school made the policy of no students allowed on fb as friends he lost half his friends list

bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:13 PM

iffy.... it could prove useful if it is only used to inform of schedule changes.. but then there is that 'delete prior conversation' option that would make ensuring that the conversation remains school centered...

for me it owuld be location dependant. where I live I wouldn't be too worried about it, but if I lived elsewhere I would take it on a case by case basis

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:14 PM

No. My husbands teachers text him and it irritates the shit out of me.

brittany208
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:15 PM

There's a program where teachers can send a text to the whole class about a homework assignment without their personal phone number showing, and I could see something like that.

But as far as texting in friendly conversation--no. not appropriate.

PeaceLoveZ
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:16 PM
No! I had teachers text me and its because we'd go out partying together...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wifeofvet
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:16 PM
I'm ok with it, if it's an informative mass text to my son's baseball/basketball team. It's much easier and quicker sending a text then an individual call to each

player.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommyOfOne2710
by Gold Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:19 PM

The only time I ever talked to a teacher in high scool/middle school was when I forgot the assignment, needed help, etc. Something along those lines. We were given his school e-mail for just that reason. But that's all it was used for. 

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:20 PM

I cant think of one reason a teacher would ever need to communicate with my child outside of school without me in the loop.

Photo: -Randi.

ratchetlee
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:22 PM

NO...if a teacher needs to get in touch with my child, she can call me first.  I will hand my child the phone.....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)