Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Today Is My Three Year Anniversary Of When I Quit Smoking.

Posted by   + Show Post

It has been hard, but I'm not going back. I can't ruin all that time I have put into it. If anyone used to smoke, how long has it been, since you quit?

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 5:33 PM
Replies (31-40):
DixieL
by Ruby Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Quoting .Diddles.:

Congrats!!! My dad said even after 30 years of being smoke free he still had small cravings so know that it will never fully go away. Your will power to stay smoke free will have to be stronger than the cravings.
I am almost to my third year of being smoke free an it feels great!! April 15th was the day I decided to stop smoking. It made my head hurt and I always felt nauseous after smoking so what was the point? My Dh followed about two months later. Best decision ever!!

Thank you and Congratulations to you and your dad too. I didn't want to tell people that the cravings come back and now and then, but we just have to ignore them. That's what I have done too. I smoked for thirty seven years and my son finally talked me into it. I knew that I couldn't hurt him anymore. I will always stay stronger than the cravings. There is no way I will ruin three years. It's too long. lol.

jessimicuh
by Gold Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 5:58 PM
Thank you so much! I'm quitting for the kids and I too, buttt I visited my grampa in the hospital today. He's 79 years old, he quit smoking over 40+ years ago.. he just recently got finished with chemotherapy and radiation due to lung cancer in December.. he's now in hospital fighting for his life due to pneumonia because his lungs are so weak.. All because of a habit over 40 years ago. seeing him like that's made me change.. all today, ill be done smoking tomorrow.

Quoting DixieL:

Quoting jessimicuh:

I have 13 cigarettes until I'm done.. Wish me luck.

Good Luck to you. It's hard, but you can do it. Tell yourself how much you want to live for your family. That's what finally made me do it. My son kept begging me to quit and keep living for him. I smoked for thirty seven years, but I finally had to quit for my son. I told him that I was going to smoke for one more day and them I quit cold turkey for him. Keep me posted. I'm on here a lot, and if you need someone to talk to that you know has been through it, I'm right here. I wish you all the luck in the world. I wish you and your family a very happy 2013.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DixieL
by Ruby Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Mychele:

Congrats ! It will be 4 yrs in April for me :-)

Thank you and Congratulations to you too. I hope you and your family have a very happy 2013.

DixieL
by Ruby Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jessimicuh:

Thank you so much! I'm quitting for the kids and I too, buttt I visited my grampa in the hospital today. He's 79 years old, he quit smoking over 40+ years ago.. he just recently got finished with chemotherapy and radiation due to lung cancer in December.. he's now in hospital fighting for his life due to pneumonia because his lungs are so weak.. All because of a habit over 40 years ago. seeing him like that's made me change.. all today, ill be done smoking tomorrow.

Quoting DixieL:

Quoting jessimicuh:

I have 13 cigarettes until I'm done.. Wish me luck.

Good Luck to you. It's hard, but you can do it. Tell yourself how much you want to live for your family. That's what finally made me do it. My son kept begging me to quit and keep living for him. I smoked for thirty seven years, but I finally had to quit for my son. I told him that I was going to smoke for one more day and them I quit cold turkey for him. Keep me posted. I'm on here a lot, and if you need someone to talk to that you know has been through it, I'm right here. I wish you all the luck in the world. I wish you and your family a very happy 2013.

I'm very sorry about your grandpa. My thoughts and prayers are with him and your family.

.Diddles.
by Gold Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, three years is too long of an investment to turn back. When I start craving I just think back to the first month or so where all the cigarette smells off other people really bothered me and it starts to make me nauseous again and I no longer have any cravings, lol.

Quoting DixieL:

Quoting .Diddles.:

Congrats!!! My dad said even after 30 years of being smoke free he still had small cravings so know that it will never fully go away. Your will power to stay smoke free will have to be stronger than the cravings.

I am almost to my third year of being smoke free an it feels great!! April 15th was the day I decided to stop smoking. It made my head hurt and I always felt nauseous after smoking so what was the point? My Dh followed about two months later. Best decision ever!!

Thank you and Congratulations to you and your dad too. I didn't want to tell people that the cravings come back and now and then, but we just have to ignore them. That's what I have done too. I smoked for thirty seven years and my son finally talked me into it. I knew that I couldn't hurt him anymore. I will always stay stronger than the cravings. There is no way I will ruin three years. It's too long. lol.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Diamepphyre
by Ruby Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Congratulations!!!!  I've never smoked but I know how hard it is to quit; I watched my father go through it.  Go you!

DixieL
by Ruby Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Quoting Diamepphyre:

Congratulations!!!!  I've never smoked but I know how hard it is to quit; I watched my father go through it.  Go you!

Thank you very much. It sounds dumb, but it's the hardest thing I have ever done. I smoked for thirty seven years and my son finally made me feel guilty enough to quit smoking for him.

Momoftwinkies
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Congrats! I just passed my 2 year mark.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CeeGee81
by CanadaGirl on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Thank you, same to you :)

I'm not sure if you said in your earlier replies......how did you quit?

Quoting DixieL:

Quoting CeeGee81:

Congratulations!!!!!  It is a HUGE accomplishment. 

April will mark my 3 yr anni of quitting smoking :)  I can honestly say that I will never, ever smoke again!  :)

I'm right with you. Congratulations to you too. I hope you and your family have a very happy 2013.

DixieL
by Ruby Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Quoting CeeGee81:

Thank you, same to you :)

I'm not sure if you said in your earlier replies......how did you quit?

Quoting DixieL:

Quoting CeeGee81:

Congratulations!!!!!  It is a HUGE accomplishment. 

April will mark my 3 yr anni of quitting smoking :)  I can honestly say that I will never, ever smoke again!  :)

I'm right with you. Congratulations to you too. I hope you and your family have a very happy 2013.

I smoked for thirty seven years. My son kept begging me to quit and I tried dozens of times. Finally I knew I couldn't do that to him anymore, so I told him that I was going to smoke for one more day and then I was going to quit. I know they say that you have to quit things for yourself, but I quit for him. Even though his wife was and is still smoking, he would get upset with me. He told me he couldn't live without me. I felt really good about that and bad at the same time, that he didn't try to get his wife to quit too, but I knew I couldn't hurt him anymore and I quit cold turkey, three years ago and have never come close to smoking again, even though there have been times it was hard. I would just go and so something else to get my mind off of it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN