Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Proud black woman.....*ETA*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
So we are in the store and my 3 year old is always asking "what's that?" He says it to people or toys....whatever.

There was a black lady beside us and my son said "what's that?" Apparently she was offended cause she looks at him and says "I am a proud black woman" I said that's nice and walked off

I mean he was three.....

***she wasn't nice when she said it and he meant to say who not what but that's just how he says it right now.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:29 PM
Replies (111-120):
ethans_momma06
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:36 PM
1 mom liked this

If you see my previous replies (I have one on the first page), I really don't have a problem with what the woman (not the OP) said. I get why it may have felt awkward to her.

My beef is actually the hysterical responses in this thread.

"Why I'd feel livid if that little 3 year old had said that to me!!!!!!!!!!"

*eyeroll*

I mean, seriously. It's simply not that bad. kwim?

Quoting Pooobaihr:

I don't think its horrendous at all. I think its a typical response a 3yr old would make, yet I feel it is still rude. Yes, he don't mean to be rude, as I said. He is still learning how to ask questions and such, but this is where you begin to teach them that you don't say it that way, you say it this way.  So I agree with you on everything, however, I'm looking at it from the other woman's point of view.  For all anyone knows, she may be a woman who has never been around children and never been through that stage of learning. It happens.  I don't think the lady was rude in how she responded, but she probably did sound firm in her reply, which often comes off as rude.

Quoting ethans_momma06:

If it had been any child with the understanding of the difference between the terms "Who" and "What"- I'd agree.

However, this is a 3 year old. As much as a person is a "who"- they are also a "what". I can understand a person feeling uncomfortable hearing themselves addressed that way (because we as adults carry a lot of unneccesarry baggage and tend to read into shit), but it's not rude. The kid doesn't understand that there is a difference. They simply don't grasp the concept.

I'm not suggesting it should be overlooked, or not corrected. Yes. He should learn. Yes, the mother should correct him, so that he can learn and understand the differences and appropriate term. But all the women getting their panties in a bunch over it? Please.

Yes, the mother should be understanding of the other womans response. She should get why it's awkward, because SHE'S an adult. But let's stop acting like this was SUCH a horrendous faux pas.

Quoting Pooobaihr:

It is rude. It isn't intentionally rude, but it is rude and shouldn't be overlooked because he is 3. Correct him, apologize and move on.

Quoting ethans_momma06:

Quoting lnrmom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Darlin, he was incredibly rude. If a three year old said what is that about me I'd be livid. People are not things. You need to break him of that immediately. "He is three" is not an excuse. Start correcting him. And you should've been correcting him.

Riiiiiight.

Because three year olds totally get that calling someone a what is incorrect. Dude. Their vocabulary is limited as it is. If you get livid over that small thing... lord. You must go around being angry all the time.

It's hardly RUDE. It may not have been correct, it may have been awkward for the parent, but it sure as heck wasn't "rude".

Anonymous
by Anonymous 20 on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:37 PM

how come black women do that anyway?

like when will you ever hear a white girl saying "i'm a PROUD white woman!"

it just sounds stupid.

like seriously. you are human, female, and bleed red. wtf else matters?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 20 on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:40 PM

that being said, a few months ago i was at the mall with my boys, ds6 and ds2. 

we were waiting to get dome food in the food court, and a REALLY dark, likely african, man was walking by us and DS6 exclaims "holy cow mom that man is BLACK!" 

i about died. i was like "omg i am so so sorry!!!! we are from a farm, he doesn't get out much...." i was beet red

the man just laughed, he thought it was really funny. DS was so shocked. i mean....he really DOESN'T get out much.......

tastelikeyum
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:41 PM
I don't see what wrong with a woman saying she is proud of her race period. smh. It's like people like a rise off race issues.

Quoting Sparkey6987:

Well, while I don't even see why this story is post-worthy to begin with, sometimes in a situation like that you get flustered. I can see where maybe she didn't know what to say/how to react. But I'm missing the part where proud black woman is offensive.

Quoting tastelikeyum:

That's what OP should have done.

Quoting Sparkey6987:

Some kids do. My older son pointed at people a few times and said "what's that?". I'd just say "not what, who. That's a person. Why don't you say hi, and see what his/her name is?"...I only added the last part if the person heard him.

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

Umm.. I don't know why your child would even do that?

I have 3 little white boys but they didn't point out other people of race and ask "Whats that?"

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh give it up already. People wouldn't give a shit...not all of us are hung up on race like you.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah people would flip shit if a white woman called herself a proud white woman.

Fallaya
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:47 PM
We don't all do that...stop stereotyping.

Quoting Anonymous:

it just sounds stupid.

tastelikeyum
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Excuse me but am black and I don't say that. I have seen "Proud Redneck" bumper stickers as well as a woman saying she was a proud country girl. So what's the difference? So what people can't be proud of what of how they are? Damn they even have Gay Pride Day. So should gays stop being proud too?

Quoting Anonymous:

it just sounds stupid.

Sparkey6987
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:50 PM
I'm with you on that. What grown man or woman, who isn't insanely insecure, takes a three year old seriously? I don't think I've ever met an inherently malicious toddler.

Quoting ethans_momma06:

If you see my previous replies (I have one on the first page), I really don't have a problem with what the woman (not the OP) said. I get why it may have felt awkward to her.

My beef is actually the hysterical responses in this thread.

"Why I'd feel livid if that little 3 year old had said that to me!!!!!!!!!!"

*eyeroll*

I mean, seriously. It's simply not that bad. kwim?

Quoting Pooobaihr:

I don't think its horrendous at all. I think its a typical response a 3yr old would make, yet I feel it is still rude. Yes, he don't mean to be rude, as I said. He is still learning how to ask questions and such, but this is where you begin to teach them that you don't say it that way, you say it this way.  So I agree with you on everything, however, I'm looking at it from the other woman's point of view.  For all anyone knows, she may be a woman who has never been around children and never been through that stage of learning. It happens.  I don't think the lady was rude in how she responded, but she probably did sound firm in her reply, which often comes off as rude.

Quoting ethans_momma06:

If it had been any child with the understanding of the difference between the terms "Who" and "What"- I'd agree.

However, this is a 3 year old. As much as a person is a "who"- they are also a "what". I can understand a person feeling uncomfortable hearing themselves addressed that way (because we as adults carry a lot of unneccesarry baggage and tend to read into shit), but it's not rude. The kid doesn't understand that there is a difference. They simply don't grasp the concept.

I'm not suggesting it should be overlooked, or not corrected. Yes. He should learn. Yes, the mother should correct him, so that he can learn and understand the differences and appropriate term. But all the women getting their panties in a bunch over it? Please.

Yes, the mother should be understanding of the other womans response. She should get why it's awkward, because SHE'S an adult. But let's stop acting like this was SUCH a horrendous faux pas.

Quoting Pooobaihr:

It is rude. It isn't intentionally rude, but it is rude and shouldn't be overlooked because he is 3. Correct him, apologize and move on.

Quoting ethans_momma06:

Quoting lnrmom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Darlin, he was incredibly rude. If a three year old said what is that about me I'd be livid. People are not things. You need to break him of that immediately. "He is three" is not an excuse. Start correcting him. And you should've been correcting him.

Riiiiiight.

Because three year olds totally get that calling someone a what is incorrect. Dude. Their vocabulary is limited as it is. If you get livid over that small thing... lord. You must go around being angry all the time.

It's hardly RUDE. It may not have been correct, it may have been awkward for the parent, but it sure as heck wasn't "rude".

Anonymous
by Anonymous 20 on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:52 PM

and does it SAY "all" black women do that? no. it doesn't.  and i have heard MANY MANY times 'i am a PROUD black man!/woman!" like really? now how does that help the racial divide? like really. i don't "identify" myself as a white person on anything other than gov't forms where i check "caucasion"  or "not aboriginal"  

i don't go around ranting and raving about being white. 

i am not saying all AA people do that, but it seems like a lot do.

and before you pull it out, i am NOT racist.

Quoting Fallaya:

We don't all do that...stop stereotyping.

Quoting Anonymous:

it just sounds stupid.

Sparkey6987
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:53 PM
What's wrong with being proud? I think everyone should be proud of who they are. Not bashing, just disagreeing. :)

Quoting Anonymous:

it just sounds stupid.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)