Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Proud black woman.....*ETA*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
So we are in the store and my 3 year old is always asking "what's that?" He says it to people or toys....whatever.

There was a black lady beside us and my son said "what's that?" Apparently she was offended cause she looks at him and says "I am a proud black woman" I said that's nice and walked off

I mean he was three.....

***she wasn't nice when she said it and he meant to say who not what but that's just how he says it right now.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:29 PM
Replies (71-80):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 16 on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Yeah people would flip shit if a white woman called herself a proud white woman.

Grumpylilpixy
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Umm.. I don't know why your child would even do that?

I have 3 little white boys but they didn't point out other people of race and ask "Whats that?"

lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:04 PM
Quoting AlwaysKISA:

Not with the child, with the parents who are not teaching their child manners. My nephew is three and he would never do that. My girls never did that.
ethans_momma06
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Quoting lnrmom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Darlin, he was incredibly rude. If a three year old said what is that about me I'd be livid. People are not things. You need to break him of that immediately. "He is three" is not an excuse. Start correcting him. And you should've been correcting him.

Riiiiiight.

Because three year olds totally get that calling someone a what is incorrect. Dude. Their vocabulary is limited as it is. If you get livid over that small thing... lord. You must go around being angry all the time.

It's hardly RUDE. It may not have been correct, it may have been awkward for the parent, but it sure as heck wasn't "rude".

deepthinker
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:05 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting lnrmom:

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't know maybe explain he says that about things and people? Apologize maybe? That is a rude response for a question that her son asked that was rude. "That's nice"? Really? How about diffusing the situation and saying "and a pretty one at that".

I'm not all about kissing ass, but when your kid is rude it falls on the parents to make it better.

I agree, My son is two and was calling everyone "he", and I corrected him EVERYTIME he was wrong.  I would apologize and explain, because it is offensive. Referring to a person as an inanimate object should be corrected, especially by the age of 3. I also agree with your last sentence 100%.  It is the parent's job to apologize if their child does or says something rude.  It is a teaching moment, not only on the proper way to speak, but how to be cordial to others.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 17 on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this

He sounds too cute..  I would have laughed at the lady for feeling the need to be an idiot towards a child. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:09 PM
That lady was a bitch point blank it was so uncalled for

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't blame u. He says what's that to any race but this was the first time I got that type of response. Luckily he is doing better. Lol

Quoting Anonymous:

It's ok I'm just annoyed with the whole black this white that. The world has more to it than that

Quoting Anonymous:

Sorry read it wrong. This is my first post today though :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Never said it was if you read my response

Quoting Anonymous:

How is this racist?

Quoting Anonymous:

Don't you have something better to do then put yet another post about race on here it's not that serious
robyann
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I guess she didn't realize that your child was only 3 years old. That just bothers me that a black woman can say "I'm a pourd BLACK woman", but as white women everyone would be offended if we said "I'm a proud WHITE woman" LOL

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:09 PM
Lol he says it to white people too. My post doesn't say he says it to only blacks.

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

Umm.. I don't know why your child would even do that?

I have 3 little white boys but they didn't point out other people of race and ask "Whats that?"

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:10 PM
I did correct him

Quoting deepthinker:

Quoting lnrmom:

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't know maybe explain he says that about things and people? Apologize maybe? That is a rude response for a question that her son asked that was rude. "That's nice"? Really? How about diffusing the situation and saying "and a pretty one at that".

I'm not all about kissing ass, but when your kid is rude it falls on the parents to make it better.

I agree, My son is two and was calling everyone "he", and I corrected him EVERYTIME he was wrong.  I would apologize and explain, because it is offensive. Referring to a person as an inanimate object should be corrected, especially by the age of 3. I also agree with your last sentence 100%.  It is the parent's job to apologize if their child does or says something rude.  It is a teaching moment, not only on the proper way to speak, but how to be cordial to others.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)