Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Proud black woman.....*ETA*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
So we are in the store and my 3 year old is always asking "what's that?" He says it to people or toys....whatever.

There was a black lady beside us and my son said "what's that?" Apparently she was offended cause she looks at him and says "I am a proud black woman" I said that's nice and walked off

I mean he was three.....

***she wasn't nice when she said it and he meant to say who not what but that's just how he says it right now.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:29 PM
Replies (81-90):
KaylasMama11
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:10 PM

wow so ridiculous!

Quoting Anonymous:

When my dd was 3 months old, a black receptionist that I knew helped me hold her so I could look for paperwork. Anyway, when she picked dd up, she burst out crying. Since i have a brain in my head, I assumed it was because this person wasn't mommy. But the lady got this disgusted look on her face, and said, "What, she don't like black people"? I mean for fucks sake, she was a BABY. Stupidity is everywhere.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Just about all children point to everything and say what's that, nothing rude about that. That women was rude to your child though making it a race issue as if a 3 year old understands. If that was a white woman and said she was a proud white woman then she'd be a racist Some people go overboard and this women did being smug and arrogant to a small child, give me a break! smh.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:11 PM
1 mom liked this
I always get so irritated by that phrase. There isnt a white person on this planet that could get away with saying "I'm white and I'm proud" without being accused of being racist.
mommajen32
by Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Why are u offended by her response? She did answer his question. I have an inkling that if she did show attitude itwas toward you and not the little boy. Black mama's traditionally can be pretty strict and its the wonder age didn't tell you to train your child...now had you been black age may have come out with it...lol

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Pooobaihr
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:12 PM
It is rude. It isn't intentionally rude, but it is rude and shouldn't be overlooked because he is 3. Correct him, apologize and move on.

Quoting ethans_momma06:

Quoting lnrmom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Darlin, he was incredibly rude. If a three year old said what is that about me I'd be livid. People are not things. You need to break him of that immediately. "He is three" is not an excuse. Start correcting him. And you should've been correcting him.

Riiiiiight.

Because three year olds totally get that calling someone a what is incorrect. Dude. Their vocabulary is limited as it is. If you get livid over that small thing... lord. You must go around being angry all the time.

It's hardly RUDE. It may not have been correct, it may have been awkward for the parent, but it sure as heck wasn't "rude".

MaMa_Te3
by Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

My daughter about got my ass beat at Burlington. She went off because the life sized santa clause was black. "Mom!! Why is this santa black? Santa isn't BLAAACK!!" lol. I have NEVER been so embarrassed in my life, nor have I ever been given such a look of death as from the black lady standing about 3 feet away. 

My daughter did the same thing the xmas before last with the black santa at the mall, and she's half black lol. She had the nerve to have a little attitude about it too. Definitely received some crazy looks from people for that one lol.

KaylasMama11
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:12 PM

um she said the baby does it to every person not just black people. you all need to quit it acting like your kids are perfect he's three years old!! 

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

Umm.. I don't know why your child would even do that?

I have 3 little white boys but they didn't point out other people of race and ask "Whats that?"

hismommy2010
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:13 PM
1 mom liked this

If her tone was mean/harsh, then I do see her as being 'wrong' in her reply. Other wise, that was her way of letting your child know 'what' she was... a proud black woman.

Sparkey6987
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:16 PM
This.

Quoting ErikaRobin:

I'd start saying to your three-year-old "That's not a what, that's a who."

tastelikeyum
by Gold Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:16 PM
So was there a design or something on her shirt. Did she have a scarf? Hat etc.. If it is an item of clothing that he does not know than fine but to say what is that and refer to a person is not right, no matter the race.

Quoting Anonymous:

You apparently didn't read my post. I said he says it to people. No where did I just say black people.

Quoting tastelikeyum:

Has he never been around black people before? Where did you keep him for 3 years that he never seen a black person?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured