Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

At McDonalds play area, I picked up another mom's kid :/ was I wrong?

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:32 PM
  • 196 Replies

Our town is small, and there isn't much to do as far as for the kids go. With it being winter, it's not as easy to take them to the park or zoo.

This saturday, my husband and I wanted to get our 3 year old out of the house and let him have some fun. So we took him to McDonalds for the inside brand new play area.

It was packed - the play area has chairs around so that parents can sit close and keep an eye on their kids. My husband and I were sitting there, as well as several other parents.

There was a little boy who couldn't have been more then just over a year old. his mother was sitting to the left of my husband and I. She had a few other kids with her as well, they didn't look over 7 years old. Anyways,

with the play area being so packed with kids of various ages and sizes running around, it was a bit difficult to keep your eye on YOUR kid, they seemed to get lost in the mix of the running and jumping of all the kids. I did my best to not take my eyes off of my son. Anyways, this mother was sitting their with her face burried in her cell phone, texting or looking at something on line? Anyways, her lil boy was playing to the right of me at the end of the play area. He was knocked down by some older kids that came running past him. The lil guy immediately started crying, holding his breath, and then looked up at me( he fell litterally right by my feet where I was sitting) and reached his arms out. He didn't know who I was, I didn't know him, but naturally i picked him up, I wasn't thinking it was just a natural reaction to seeing a tiny lil guy get knocked down and hurt, as soon as I picked him up it hit me! What are you doing? ! this is NOT your kid, it's not your friends kid, it's a strangers kid!

The mother at this point noticed it was her son that was screaming from getting hurt, and I immediately handed him to her. She smiled and thanked me, but other parents were given me the stink eye. I felt a little stupid , because I wouldn't want another parents or person to pick my child up in this situation, they are a stranger!

When we got home, my husband told me that he thought it was weird and that I shouldn't have done it. I realize that, but it all happend so fast, I wasn't thinking in that manner. I guess the mommy in me just came out and I acted as I would have for my own child.

tell me what is your thought on this? Did I do something so horrible? How would you have felt if that were your child? I will never do that again, I will try my best to think before I re-act. But in all honesty, I meant no harm by it.

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Newmom8912
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:34 PM
7 moms liked this
I would've done the same thing
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:35 PM
3 moms liked this
I don't think it was weird at all. The woman should have been watching her kid! I could never see a baby fruit like that, reaching for comfort and ignore him.
Angelanscalf89
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:36 PM
I wouldnt do it but if the mom didnt see it as a problem or notice the baby was crying I dont see it as a huge deal on your part. Now on her part I see a problem she should have been watching her kid what if hed been kidnapped or something. Thats scary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaybean
by Ruby Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:36 PM
I probably would have tapped the mom's shoulder and let her know, but I don't blame you. It was a natural reaction. If other parents were glaring at me, I probably would have said out loud "sorry for picking up your baby..it was a natural reaction."
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
dbcmommy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:36 PM
1 mom liked this
I would have done the same thing shouldn't feel bad at all.
MichaelsMomm122
by Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:37 PM
You did the right thing! Don't beat yourself up. He needed help.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:37 PM
2 moms liked this
Seeing as the mother of the child didn't get mad at you for picking him up when he was crying, I wouldn't worry about what the other mom's thought.
PinkyPan
by Ruby Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:37 PM

I would have done the same thing.

nocalmegan
by Ruby Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:37 PM
I would have done the same thing as you.
rebeccarae
by Bec on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Would have done the same, he needed comfort and you gave it. Nothing wrong, it isn't as though you were about to run off with him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)