Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How old was your child when you started leaving him/her home alone?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies

I don't know the law in my state but I'm wondering at what age children can stay home alone, or what age they can babysit? My neighbor leaves her dd home alone and she is 13. Is that too young?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
unspecified42
by Gold Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:45 PM
My sister was 10/11 when we started leaving her for short times. My 8 year old is still too young except on very rare occasion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Buggy979
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:45 PM
I started at 11..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Some girls start babysitting at 12.   I have no idea since my DD is only 6 but she wont be staying home alone, ever lol.

LucyHarper
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:48 PM

My sister is 13 (I'm the guardian of my siblings), she stays home alone and she babysits older kids (like ages 5-10). At that age she is more than responsible enough to stay home for a little while on her own, she'll be in college in five years. It depends on the child, if they were very responsible and knew the rules and what to do in emergency situations, I would be comfortable leaving a 9-10 year old home for an hour at most. My brother is ten, he didn't have a very good life before coming here and is used to not having any rules, he doesn't always use common sense, so he's not allowed to stay home alone. My son is five and I think at the rate that he is going I should feel comfortable by the time he is 10.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:49 PM

my DS has been staying home since he was 11...we started with it being just for a few minutes at a time and worked our way up to a few hours...oh he is 13 now..he stays home sometimes 6 hours by himself plus once in a while he will babysit his brother 9 and his siter 6 once they are asleep at night so DH and I can go have dinner or something

almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:50 PM

i started letting my oldest son stay home by himself in middle school.  he was too old for after school daycare, so he got off the bus by himself & was alone 'til i got home a couple of hours later.  there were a ton of rules, but he did fine. 

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:50 PM

supermomz25
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:51 PM
I have just started leaving my 12 1/2 year old son and 11 year old daughter home alone for short periods of time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:51 PM

my parents started letting me stay home for a few hours after school everyday when I was 8 yrs old. our son is 10 yrs old and we have left him home alone for a few hours here and there since he was 8 yrs old but we don't do it unless absolutely necessary. its usually when there is an over lap in our work schedules by an hour or 2. he does fine. he knows what he allowed to do and not to do. he just watches tv or plays video games. I think as far as babysitting goes, 12 is a little young. but it really depends on the maturity level of the child. some kids are ready at that age and some aren't.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:51 PM

The reason I ask is because I was going to ask her to babysit my DD but my DH said it was against the law for her to even be home alone, let alone babysit. Not sure where he gets that from, but I know that the norm has changed a lot since I was a kid. I started staying home alone after school for 2 hours when I was 8.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)