Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

HPV vaccine... *Small edit*

Posted by   + Show Post

My stepson was due for shots - TWO of them - in order to return to school. I can't remember what the two shots were, but he ended up getting six. One of the six was the HPV vaccine.

Just FYI: I did not take him to get his shots, his BM did. DH & I do not vaccinate our children together. We did until the age of 3 when one suddenly had extreme signs of aggression & still struggles with it. Our 6 year old twins were vaccinated until 3, our 4 year old until 1, and our almost 2 year old has had no shots.

Anyway, when BM dropped him off after getting his shots, she told me how many he got. My jaw dropped, four shots that were not required for him to return to school were given to him - I'm really wishing I would have just written a letter saying we no longer vaccinate, but it's too late for that. So he got a chicken pox booster, and the HPV. I'm not sure what others he got, but those are the 'extras' that she told me about. The first thing out of my mouth was "Gardasil, you got him the Gardasil shot?!!?" She immediately looked appauled and said "NO!" .... I've been researching since I got home this evening (I had a long day at the hospital with one of the twins), and the only shot I can find for boys is, in fact, gardasil.

There have been a lot of deaths and serious life altering side effects because of this shot. I'm devestated by the fact that she unnecessarily gave her son (a child who has lived in my home and been a part of my life for almost 8 years, and I raise everyday) a shot that she had no idea what it was.

What is your stance on Gardasil? Is it something you would give your child? Especially a 12 year old who isn't even interested in the opposite sex?

BM texted me today to ask if SS was okay. I told her he has had headaches for the last two days, but that I didn't know how he was today since DH gets him off for school & I sleep with the littles til' they get up. "Okay thanks. I read up on the shot and the paralysis it may cause and don't want him to be worried about it. I believe we worry about it enough." was what she said in response. I think she's a bit worried about it now that she realizes that she gave him this specific shot without even thinking about what it was. She just assumed they wouldn't give him something dangerous? What, like wheat isn't dangerous to his body, and you continue to give it to him? ... Whatever, I'm really irritated.

My actions do not just affect my life, but also the lives of those that depend on me. Therefore, I choose to make good decisions, ones that will have a positive impact on the lives I've been given to raise up.

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 8:22 PM
Replies (11-20):
sammygrl77
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this
I let my dd decide when she was a teen. She chose to get it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:51 AM

My DD is 6 and has all her shots up to date but that's only because I've apparently been living in a box and didn't know vaccinating was frowned upon in the mommy community and still am unsure why.  EVERYONE says, "Do the research!"  easy for some since they know what they're looking for. 

Are there any particular websites that just break it down for you? 

Jynnifer292
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:59 AM

I would NEVER get that shot for my children NEVER

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:06 AM
21 moms liked this

I absolutely would and I did.  My 11 year old finished his Gardisil series this year (series of three shots).  The shot protects again the four most common strains which cause cancer and warts.  HPV is often symptomless and can be transmitted through sexual contact, aka. touching, so it is not an STD that a condom 100% protects against.  Men are more often than not asymptomatic and are carriers.  Women can be screened for HPV if they have an abnormal pap.  MDs are not currently doing any screening on men, and they are finding increased cases of throat cancer which they suspect is due to oral sex and the spread of HPV.  I vaxed to protect him, and to protect his future partners.  My son had absolutely no side effects from the vaccination. 

TheMommaJessie
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this

my kids will not get the hpv shot ever i didnt have it & honestly see no point in it since the possible side effects are so severe & out weigh the slight risk of getting hpv.

ErikaRobin
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I was bullied into giving my oldest the first shot of it (it takes three).  Not happy about that at all. 

When we went back for a sports physical the next year we emphatically declined to get it.   Never again.

black_sun99
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:22 AM

I am a vaccinating mom but after seeing things about this shot I wouldn't let my kids get it at that age.  It only lasts 5 to 10 years and if an 11 or 12 year old gets it then that is just a waste.  Hopefully they wouldn't start having sex until older(but I'm not in a bubble).

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:27 AM

I will not vax with the HPV vaccine. When my children are of the age that they are becoming interested in sex it's something I will discuss with them and let them make the decision to get the vaccine if they want.

LongBeachLiz
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:29 AM
No way.

Also last I heard they found that it did nothing for boys but they are now giving it to them anyways.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
trublonde130
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I got the HPV shot when I was 16 or 17 (now 22 almost 23), the only side effect I had was with the very 1st shot out of the 3. I received the injection in my right arm and immediately I felt like there was a cloud in my right shoulder blade and felt extremely faint simultaneously then my face turned white. I had to lay down, the nurse got me some juice, crackers & ice (for the injection site). Since then I've had no issues that have been said to go along with the vaccine.

At the age I recieved the vaccine, I did my own research and decided myself to get it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN