Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

HPV vaccine... *Small edit*

Posted by   + Show Post

My stepson was due for shots - TWO of them - in order to return to school. I can't remember what the two shots were, but he ended up getting six. One of the six was the HPV vaccine.

Just FYI: I did not take him to get his shots, his BM did. DH & I do not vaccinate our children together. We did until the age of 3 when one suddenly had extreme signs of aggression & still struggles with it. Our 6 year old twins were vaccinated until 3, our 4 year old until 1, and our almost 2 year old has had no shots.

Anyway, when BM dropped him off after getting his shots, she told me how many he got. My jaw dropped, four shots that were not required for him to return to school were given to him - I'm really wishing I would have just written a letter saying we no longer vaccinate, but it's too late for that. So he got a chicken pox booster, and the HPV. I'm not sure what others he got, but those are the 'extras' that she told me about. The first thing out of my mouth was "Gardasil, you got him the Gardasil shot?!!?" She immediately looked appauled and said "NO!" .... I've been researching since I got home this evening (I had a long day at the hospital with one of the twins), and the only shot I can find for boys is, in fact, gardasil.

There have been a lot of deaths and serious life altering side effects because of this shot. I'm devestated by the fact that she unnecessarily gave her son (a child who has lived in my home and been a part of my life for almost 8 years, and I raise everyday) a shot that she had no idea what it was.

What is your stance on Gardasil? Is it something you would give your child? Especially a 12 year old who isn't even interested in the opposite sex?

BM texted me today to ask if SS was okay. I told her he has had headaches for the last two days, but that I didn't know how he was today since DH gets him off for school & I sleep with the littles til' they get up. "Okay thanks. I read up on the shot and the paralysis it may cause and don't want him to be worried about it. I believe we worry about it enough." was what she said in response. I think she's a bit worried about it now that she realizes that she gave him this specific shot without even thinking about what it was. She just assumed they wouldn't give him something dangerous? What, like wheat isn't dangerous to his body, and you continue to give it to him? ... Whatever, I'm really irritated.

My actions do not just affect my life, but also the lives of those that depend on me. Therefore, I choose to make good decisions, ones that will have a positive impact on the lives I've been given to raise up.

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 8:22 PM
Replies (31-40):
MistyMoo
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:42 AM
I read this and it was actually pretty scary.

http://www.macleans.ca/science/health/article.jsp?content=20070827_108312_108312

Can't make it clicky, sorry!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mrsbrand
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:42 AM

No, Gardasil doesn't have any real amount of long-gevity among the population to say if its "safe" or not. If my kids want that shot they can get it when they are responsible for their own medical decisions. I won't take that choice from them. 

La_Vie_en_R0se
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:42 AM
I am a vaxxing mom, chicken pox vax and all, but refused the guardasil vax for my son, and will for my DDs as well. I don't trust that one.
winkyloafer
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:42 AM
I've read every article about it. It clearly says "While there is no direct link or evidence that Gardasil is the cause..." in all of them. It's up to you to decide whether the benefit outweighs the risk.

I had one round of the shot before I became pregnant and I'm totally fine!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this

We won't be getting it,  BUT that is her child and if she decided if was on their best interest to get it and the other vaccines then that's her choice not yours!  We do get all the other vaccines though, except flu!

PeaceLoveZ
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:44 AM

I don't think HPV shots should be a requirement to start school! Alot of shots like Flu & Gardasil the risks outweigh the benefits, so IMO its best to just say No.

momofmany86
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:44 AM

It wears off in 5-10 years, so yes, boosters would be necessary for it to be truly effective. I think they are giving it to kids at such a young age because, in our society, the kids are 'encouraged' to be sexually active at a young age. All the shows they watch, the influences they have in the public eye, even personal influences they have in their life daily - A LOT of women (even older ones) dress provocatively & act inappropriately in front of young children, not realizing how it will affect them in the long run (or short term for some).

Quoting MistyMoo:

No. I won't do gardasil. Never and I'm pro vaccination.. I've heard WAY too many bad things about it and I'm not even 100% sure how it protects someone from those cancers.. Do you need boosters? Because women are more at risk later in life... Why are girls receiving this at like 12?.. Anyways, no, I won't be getting that for either of my kids. If its not one of the "mandatory" ones I' don't get it.

My actions do not just affect my life, but also the lives of those that depend on me. Therefore, I choose to make good decisions, ones that will have a positive impact on the lives I've been given to raise up.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Hi there! :) If you are interested in learning more about vaccinations,I'd suggest joining a few vaccinating/non vaccinating groups on here. The women there are awesome about answering any questions you have and they have tons of links to some great information. 

I don't think vaccinating is frowned upon.I no longer vaccinate,but I have mommy friends who do. We respect each others decisions,and leave it at that. I think you find a lot of bickering on MC. lol

Quoting Anonymous:

My DD is 6 and has all her shots up to date but that's only because I've apparently been living in a box and didn't know vaccinating was frowned upon in the mommy community and still am unsure why.  EVERYONE says, "Do the research!"  easy for some since they know what they're looking for. 

Are there any particular websites that just break it down for you? 

almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:45 AM

we vax, but there's no way my kids will ever get gardasil

MistyMoo
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:46 AM
Yay society! -_- yes, that sucks.

Quoting momofmany86:

It wears off in 5-10 years, so yes, boosters would be necessary for it to be truly effective. I think they are giving it to kids at such a young age because, in our society, the kids are 'encouraged' to be sexually active at a young age. All the shows they watch, the influences they have in the public eye, even personal influences they have in their life daily - A LOT of women (even older ones) dress provocatively & act inappropriately in front of young children, not realizing how it will affect them in the long run (or short term for some).

Quoting MistyMoo:

No. I won't do gardasil. Never and I'm pro vaccination.. I've heard WAY too many bad things about it and I'm not even 100% sure how it protects someone from those cancers.. Do you need boosters? Because women are more at risk later in life... Why are girls receiving this at like 12?.. Anyways, no, I won't be getting that for either of my kids. If its not one of the "mandatory" ones I' don't get it.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)