Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

HPV vaccine... *Small edit*

Posted by   + Show Post

My stepson was due for shots - TWO of them - in order to return to school. I can't remember what the two shots were, but he ended up getting six. One of the six was the HPV vaccine.

Just FYI: I did not take him to get his shots, his BM did. DH & I do not vaccinate our children together. We did until the age of 3 when one suddenly had extreme signs of aggression & still struggles with it. Our 6 year old twins were vaccinated until 3, our 4 year old until 1, and our almost 2 year old has had no shots.

Anyway, when BM dropped him off after getting his shots, she told me how many he got. My jaw dropped, four shots that were not required for him to return to school were given to him - I'm really wishing I would have just written a letter saying we no longer vaccinate, but it's too late for that. So he got a chicken pox booster, and the HPV. I'm not sure what others he got, but those are the 'extras' that she told me about. The first thing out of my mouth was "Gardasil, you got him the Gardasil shot?!!?" She immediately looked appauled and said "NO!" .... I've been researching since I got home this evening (I had a long day at the hospital with one of the twins), and the only shot I can find for boys is, in fact, gardasil.

There have been a lot of deaths and serious life altering side effects because of this shot. I'm devestated by the fact that she unnecessarily gave her son (a child who has lived in my home and been a part of my life for almost 8 years, and I raise everyday) a shot that she had no idea what it was.

What is your stance on Gardasil? Is it something you would give your child? Especially a 12 year old who isn't even interested in the opposite sex?

BM texted me today to ask if SS was okay. I told her he has had headaches for the last two days, but that I didn't know how he was today since DH gets him off for school & I sleep with the littles til' they get up. "Okay thanks. I read up on the shot and the paralysis it may cause and don't want him to be worried about it. I believe we worry about it enough." was what she said in response. I think she's a bit worried about it now that she realizes that she gave him this specific shot without even thinking about what it was. She just assumed they wouldn't give him something dangerous? What, like wheat isn't dangerous to his body, and you continue to give it to him? ... Whatever, I'm really irritated.

My actions do not just affect my life, but also the lives of those that depend on me. Therefore, I choose to make good decisions, ones that will have a positive impact on the lives I've been given to raise up.

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 8:22 PM
Replies (431-440):
Amanda8030
by New Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:13 PM
1 mom liked this

as a person with HPV and has cancer from it.... i do have my kids get the shot for it.... i do not want my kids later to find out they have it.... i def dont want my son to get it and give it to another girl and she not to have any kids due to having cancer... i was blessed with 4 kids before i found out i had Hpv but now i know why i had 4 miscarriages.. 

kailu1835
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Well that sucks.  I have a 10% chance of clotting if I take birth control, so I understand not wanting to take the risk.  I still think the risk of contracting a lifelong case of HPV is much lower than the risk of being severely injured by the gardasil vaccine. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting kailu1835:

Which is why I specifically said 90%. Meaning only 10% of HPV will not clear up on its own in 2 years.
Quoting Oceana09:

Not always.

Quoting kailu1835:

It only covers (I think) 4 or 5 different strands of HPV.  Only 2 of those strands can lead to cancer, and as for the other 2 or 3?  90% of all HPV clears up on its own after 2 years.

Quoting Oceana09:

Like I said, I was under the impression. Gardisil came out after I was in HighSchool so I never got it and I don't know everything it's supposed to protect against. What I do know is all of the side effects that have been reported with this vaccine.

Quoting SuDoNim:

And HPV-induced anal, penile, oral, vulval and vaginal cancers.

Quoting Oceana09:

I didn't even know they gave the HPV vaccine to boys since they can't even tell if a male has it unless they have the wart form. I was under the impression that Gardisil only protected from the form that causes Cervical Cancer.

Guess I'm one of the lucky 10%...joyous.

babiesbabybaby development

MsDenuninani
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:31 PM

"We know it is effective for five years" is not the same as "only effective for five years."

Essentially, Dr. Haupt is saying it's effective for at least five years. 

From the CDC's website: Research suggests that vaccine protection is long-lasting. Current studies have followed vaccinated individuals for six years, and show that there is no evidence of weakened protection over time.

Quoting kailu1835:

From the company itself: ""We are doing further tests and follow-up. But right now, we know it is effective for five years," said Dr. Richard Haupt, executive director of medical affairs in Merck's vaccine division."
Quoting MsDenuninani:

Where are you getting your data?  The sources I trust contradict this.

Quoting kailu1835:

Not even remotely.  In fact, I believe it has the shortest lifespan of any of the vaccines.  It only works for 5 years.

Quoting MsDenuninani:

I will absolutely give my child the HPV shot.  It is most effective when given young, and it gives lifetime protection, for when they eventually do become sexually active.

kailu1835
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:38 PM

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/health/2009-10-16-gardasil-boys_N.htm

Merck has tracked HPV immunity out to five years in women, and just three years in boys and men. Public health advocates have argued that Merck should have been required to show evidence of Gardasil's long-term effectiveness.

Quoting MsDenuninani:

"We know it is effective for five years" is not the same as "only effective for five years."

From the CDC's website: Research suggests that vaccine protection is long-lasting. Current studies have followed vaccinated individuals for six years, and show that there is no evidence of weakened protection over time.

Quoting kailu1835:

From the company itself: ""We are doing further tests and follow-up. But right now, we know it is effective for five years," said Dr. Richard Haupt, executive director of medical affairs in Merck's vaccine division."
Quoting MsDenuninani:

Quoting kailu1835:

Not even remotely.  In fact, I believe it has the shortest lifespan of any of the vaccines.  It only works for 5 years.

Quoting MsDenuninani:

I will absolutely give my child the HPV shot.  It is most effective when given young, and it gives lifetime protection, for when they eventually do become sexually active.

Mrs_Nelson
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:49 PM

BUMP!

PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Six years is not lifetime and they (and you) are fooling yourself to even think that way.  The vaccine doesn't protect against all, but only a few strains of HPV and the pap smear is a really good preventive tool to catch any abnormalities in the cervix long before it's a problem.  And if caught early, easily treatable.

Quoting MsDenuninani:

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting MsDenuninani:

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting MsDenuninani:

MsDenuninani
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Six years is not lifetime and they (and you) are fooling yourself to even think that way.  The vaccine doesn't protect against all, but only a few strains of HPV and the pap smear is a really good preventive tool to catch any abnormalities in the cervix long before it's a problem.  And if caught early, easily treatable.

I don't think I'm fooling myself to say that it's an effective tool to prevent certain types of cancer.  Not the only, but a definitely a good one.

And six years isn't a lifetime.  But that's the minimum.  And, frankly, if you get it at the right time, ie, early, you'll have it in your system during the time in your life when you're most likely to be careless in your sexual partners and behavior.  And I don't see the idea that you're "only" protected for somepoint in time as an argument to not be protected at all.

I'm not trying to convince anyone here to vax - I can't know what your comfort level with risk is.  But I don't think that anyone choosing to utilize this vaccine is "fooling themselves" -- there are sound reasons to vax here.

PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:43 PM

My comfort level...get a pap annually and ditch the vax.  My daughter won't get it either.

Quoting MsDenuninani:

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

I don't think I'm fooling myself to say that it's an effective tool to prevent certain types of cancer.  Not the only, but a definitely a good one.

And six years isn't a lifetime.  But that's the minimum.  And, frankly, if you get it at the right time, ie, early, you'll have it in your system during the time in your life when you're most likely to be careless in your sexual partners and behavior.  And I don't see the idea that you're "only" protected for somepoint in time as an argument to not be protected at all.

I'm not trying to convince anyone here to vax - I can't know what your comfort level with risk is.  But I don't think that anyone choosing to utilize this vaccine is "fooling themselves" -- there are sound reasons to vax here.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 54 on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:48 PM
Quoting kailu1835:

Well that sucks.  I have a 10% chance of clotting if I take birth control, so I understand not wanting to take the risk.  I still think the risk of contracting a lifelong case of HPV is much lower than the risk of being severely injured by the gardasil vaccine. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting kailu1835:

Which is why I specifically said 90%. Meaning only 10% of HPV will not clear up on its own in 2 years.
Quoting Oceana09:

Not always.

Quoting kailu1835:

It only covers (I think) 4 or 5 different strands of HPV.  Only 2 of those strands can lead to cancer, and as for the other 2 or 3?  90% of all HPV clears up on its own after 2 years.

Quoting Oceana09:

Like I said, I was under the impression. Gardisil came out after I was in HighSchool so I never got it and I don't know everything it's supposed to protect against. What I do know is all of the side effects that have been reported with this vaccine.

Quoting SuDoNim:

Quoting Oceana09:

I didn't even know they gave the HPV vaccine to boys since they can't even tell if a male has it unless they have the wart form. I was under the impression that Gardisil only protected from the form that causes Cervical Cancer.

When they first diagnosed me with HPV they said it should go away on it's own before my next pap. 4 abnormal papsmears and 4 biopsies of my cervix later I still have it. Every time they keep telling me it should go away on it's own in the next year and it never does.

kailu1835
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:50 PM
That's really odd. Have you tried homeopathic treatments? The treatments are not specifically targeting the HPV, but they are detoxifying your body. If your body can be healthier, it will be more likely to fight off the HPV.
Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting Oceana09:

Not always.

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting Oceana09:

Quoting SuDoNim:

Quoting Oceana09:

When they first diagnosed me with HPV they said it should go away on it's own before my next pap. 4 abnormal papsmears and 4 biopsies of my cervix later I still have it. Every time they keep telling me it should go away on it's own in the next year and it never does.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)