Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HPV vaccine... *Small edit*

Posted by   + Show Post

My stepson was due for shots - TWO of them - in order to return to school. I can't remember what the two shots were, but he ended up getting six. One of the six was the HPV vaccine.

Just FYI: I did not take him to get his shots, his BM did. DH & I do not vaccinate our children together. We did until the age of 3 when one suddenly had extreme signs of aggression & still struggles with it. Our 6 year old twins were vaccinated until 3, our 4 year old until 1, and our almost 2 year old has had no shots.

Anyway, when BM dropped him off after getting his shots, she told me how many he got. My jaw dropped, four shots that were not required for him to return to school were given to him - I'm really wishing I would have just written a letter saying we no longer vaccinate, but it's too late for that. So he got a chicken pox booster, and the HPV. I'm not sure what others he got, but those are the 'extras' that she told me about. The first thing out of my mouth was "Gardasil, you got him the Gardasil shot?!!?" She immediately looked appauled and said "NO!" .... I've been researching since I got home this evening (I had a long day at the hospital with one of the twins), and the only shot I can find for boys is, in fact, gardasil.

There have been a lot of deaths and serious life altering side effects because of this shot. I'm devestated by the fact that she unnecessarily gave her son (a child who has lived in my home and been a part of my life for almost 8 years, and I raise everyday) a shot that she had no idea what it was.

What is your stance on Gardasil? Is it something you would give your child? Especially a 12 year old who isn't even interested in the opposite sex?

BM texted me today to ask if SS was okay. I told her he has had headaches for the last two days, but that I didn't know how he was today since DH gets him off for school & I sleep with the littles til' they get up. "Okay thanks. I read up on the shot and the paralysis it may cause and don't want him to be worried about it. I believe we worry about it enough." was what she said in response. I think she's a bit worried about it now that she realizes that she gave him this specific shot without even thinking about what it was. She just assumed they wouldn't give him something dangerous? What, like wheat isn't dangerous to his body, and you continue to give it to him? ... Whatever, I'm really irritated.

My actions do not just affect my life, but also the lives of those that depend on me. Therefore, I choose to make good decisions, ones that will have a positive impact on the lives I've been given to raise up.

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 8:22 PM
Replies (481-490):
moneysaver6
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:39 AM

No worries.  I'm a nurse.  When I worked, I kept up-to-date on all new meds and vaccines that could affect my patients.

Quoting tharealty2:

I stand corrected - looked it up and you are right.  

Quoting moneysaver6:

No, they didn't start recommending it for boys until late 2011...and with much controversy at that.  It wasn't even approved for use in boys until 2008 or 2009.

Quoting tharealty2:

I wouldn't either but as long as I've heard about it,. (first time back in 99 I think, or maybe a little later than that) its been 'important' for both boys and girls to have it.

Quoting moneysaver6:

We wouldn't give it to our boys or our girls. I think the sudden movement to give it to boys is nothing more than a marketing ploy.
Quoting tharealty2:

why not protect your boys against it as well?

Quoting moneysaver6:

I wouldn't give any child of mine Gardasil.  Even if we did feel it necessary to give to our girls, we wouldn't our boys.

CrimsonRadiance
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:46 AM
We don't vaccinate at all.

And I would be careful with your SS around your other children... He could be shedding from the vaccines.

If it were me, I would find a good homeopath or naturopath who can help to do a vaccination detoxification.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
chefmartha
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:58 AM

Thank you for putting this up. I now know which ingredients could have caused the injection site reaction my girls had. DD#1 is allergic to the myacin based drugs and DD#2 is also allergic but to the cillin drugs and from the sounds of it is probably sensitive to the myacin drugs as well.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:21 AM

One of my kids is allergic to neomycin as well. Since the amount left in vaccines is so small (MMR, polio and most flu shots), you only need to avoid them if your child has a severe allergy. You can have a skin test done first to determine if her allergy was severe enough to warrant skipping those vaccines. 

Quoting chefmartha:

Thank you for putting this up. I now know which ingredients could have caused the injection site reaction my girls had. DD#1 is allergic to the myacin based drugs and DD#2 is also allergic but to the cillin drugs and from the sounds of it is probably sensitive to the myacin drugs as well.

Quoting Anonymous:

lancet98
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Quoting CrimsonRadiance:

And I would be careful with your SS around your other children... He could be shedding from the vaccines.

If it were me, I would find a good homeopath or naturopath who can help to do a vaccination detoxification.

Shedding what?   Viruses?   There aren't any viruses n the vaccine.

momofmany86
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:38 PM

There are viruses in the vaccines. It just depends on which vaccine you get, whether it is the LIVE virus or not. How do you think they get your body to 'fight' the virus? With the virus.

Quoting lancet98:

Quoting CrimsonRadiance:

My actions do not just affect my life, but also the lives of those that depend on me. Therefore, I choose to make good decisions, ones that will have a positive impact on the lives I've been given to raise up.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:40 PM

HPV-related cancers up despite vaccines from Merck, GSK

Read more: HPV-related cancers up despite vaccines from Merck, GSK - FierceVaccines http://www.fiercevaccines.com/story/hpv-related-cancers-despite-vaccines-merck-gsk/2013-01-09#ixzz2HazHRsRf 
Subscribe: http://www.fiercevaccines.com/signup?sourceform=Viral-Tynt-FierceVaccines-FierceVaccines

Cancers caused by human papillomavirus rose in the past decade, a fact that may irk HPV vaccine makers Merck ($MRK) and GlaxoSmithKline ($GSK).

From 2000 to 2009, rates of oral, vulva and anal cancers increased, according to a study by the National Cancer Institute. But if Merck and GSK both market HPV vaccines--Gardasil and Cervarix, respectively--then why the upward trend in cancer? "The investments we have made in HPV research to establish these relationships and to develop effective and safe vaccines against HPV will have the expected payoffs only if vaccination rates for girls and boys improve markedly," NCI Director Harold Varmus said, according to the report. To put it simply, a vaccine can't protect if people don't receive it.

Gardasil and Cervarix both still land in the top 20 selling vaccines for 2012, based on estimates made by EvaluatePharma. Gardasil takes the No. 2 spot on that list, raking in $1.78 billion, while Cervarix falls in at No. 11 with $581 million in sales. Gardasil has had a bit more time on the market, making its debut in 2006. Cervarix followed in 2009.

FierceBiotech Special Report: Armed Antibodies Readied for War on Cancer

For the drug developers looking to bring these products to market, ADCs represent the inevitable marriage of two sometimes hit-or-miss technologies, chemotherapy and antibodies, the next generation of anti-cancer compounds. Download this Special Report Today.

Though the companies' sales are nothing to scoff at, they can both do better; only a third of girls ages 13 to 17 have been fully vaccinated as of 2010, far below the 80% rate experts say is needed to significantly reduce the prevalence of infections. That leaves a full two-thirds of the available market untapped. The vaccine is a regimen of three shots; a mere 32% of U.S. females ages 13 to 17 received all shots.

Researchers can't pinpoint why the HPV vaccination rate is so low in the U.S. Neither Gardasil nor Cervarix makes it onto the list of vaccines required for school enrollment, which puts less pressure on parents to get their kids vaccinated, and the three-dose regimen means parents need to bring their kids to the doctor multiple times, which can be a hassle.

"Vaccination rates are still quite low in terms of where we need to be to really impact HPV infections," Edgar Simard, an author of the study and senior epidemiologist at the American Cancer Society, told Bloomberg. "If we don't address these disparities now they will continue to manifest."

- read the report
- get more from Bloomberg

Read more: HPV-related cancers up despite vaccines from Merck, GSK - FierceVaccines http://www.fiercevaccines.com/story/hpv-related-cancers-despite-vaccines-merck-gsk/2013-01-09#ixzz2Haywvgc0 
Subscribe: http://www.fiercevaccines.com/signup?sourceform=Viral-Tynt-FierceVaccines-FierceVaccines

Lia678
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:36 PM
My 13 year old was supposed to get the HPV vaccine at school last year. After researching and seein how young girls were affected by this vaccine we did not allow her to get it. It is supposed to guard against a STD. Why a catholic school who believes in abstainance is pushing it is beyond me. I hope your stepson is feeling better and good for you for drawing attention to his BM.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrimsonRadiance
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:30 PM

You already answered for me.. LOL! :) Thanks! 

Quoting momofmany86:

There are viruses in the vaccines. It just depends on which vaccine you get, whether it is the LIVE virus or not. How do you think they get your body to 'fight' the virus? With the virus.

Quoting lancet98:

Quoting CrimsonRadiance:

tharealty2
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Quoting moneysaver6:

No worries.  I'm a nurse.  When I worked, I kept up-to-date on all new meds and vaccines that could affect my patients.

Quoting tharealty2:

I stand corrected - looked it up and you are right.  

Quoting moneysaver6:

No, they didn't start recommending it for boys until late 2011...and with much controversy at that.  It wasn't even approved for use in boys until 2008 or 2009.

Quoting tharealty2:

I wouldn't either but as long as I've heard about it,. (first time back in 99 I think, or maybe a little later than that) its been 'important' for both boys and girls to have it.

Quoting moneysaver6:

We wouldn't give it to our boys or our girls. I think the sudden movement to give it to boys is nothing more than a marketing ploy.
Quoting tharealty2:

why not protect your boys against it as well?

Quoting moneysaver6:

I wouldn't give any child of mine Gardasil.  Even if we did feel it necessary to give to our girls, we wouldn't our boys.

not to high jack this thread - you can pm me,. I'm interested in your opinion on the flu vaccine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured