Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Have you ever dealt with Depression?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies

how did you move past it? Do you think you're better now?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:43 AM
Still working on it
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Yes and I go through good and bad moments, lately mostly good.  No, I've suffered depression since age 12 when I first got my period.  I'm guessing something to do with hormones and bad cramps but then I've also dealt with health problems as I got older too....  I am 32 now.

504bbymami
by Emerald Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:46 AM
Yes. I was diagnosed when I was 14 after a suicide attempt. I don't think you ever "move past it" it is something you learn to deal with and manage. It has it's ups and it's downs. Therapy and medications can help. Everyone's path is different. Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:47 AM
I have an appointment on Wednesday actually to talk to my dr about getting on anti depressants. I've suffered from it since I was 16, but was afraid to do anything about it until now. I'm hoping to have it under control really soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:47 AM

ty, I thought it was something everybody else got. I didn't know it was real until it hit me. I do need help and I'll get it

Quoting 504bbymami:

Yes. I was diagnosed when I was 14 after a suicide attempt. I don't think you ever "move past it" it is something you learn to deal with and manage. It has it's ups and it's downs. Therapy and medications can help. Everyone's path is different. Good luck

lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:48 AM

Was diagnosed with PPD after my son was born in May 07. Was put on Effexor and it helped tremendously. 
Then had a pulmonary embolism in July 07 and had to come off the Effexor because I couldn't take it with my blood thinners. At that time I was feeling "alright" so I wasn't in a rush to find something else.

Over the past 4 years I've tried numerous anti depressants and they either didn't work or they had terrible side effects. I even tried Effexor again & it didn't do anything. :/

My doctor actually just started me on Savella today. I'm taking it for Fibromyalgia (depression is a symptom) so I'm hoping it will help with that as well as the fibro pain.  

Fatal_Frost
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:51 AM
Yes... when I was a teen, and again in my early 20s... both times moving resolved it...Dr said I had situational depression, and a big change was enough to snap me out of it...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Yes, I took St. John's Wart. I still take it. I feel much better and more like myself. For a while I thought that was just the new me and I'd never be me again. Luckily, there is light at the end of the tunnel. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:53 AM

I believe that mine could possibly be situational. I just need to talk to someone see what can be done.

Quoting Fatal_Frost:

Yes... when I was a teen, and again in my early 20s... both times moving resolved it...Dr said I had situational depression, and a big change was enough to snap me out of it...

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Yes for most of my life, really. I have felt pretty good this last month or so. I've been seeing a therapist, both for individual and couple's counseling for 3 years. It has helped me move on through some issues. I tried an antidepressant for about 6 months. Though it did seem to elevate my mood at first, it eventually just kept me from dealing with my issues. I suppose if your depression is strictly chemical, it would help. However, much of mine is with real issues, like not grieving losses properly, never having had a lot of affection from anyone, especially my mother (doesn't everything always go back to dear old mom--I wonder if my kids will be in therapy blaming me one day), and marriage problems for many, many years.

Take it one day at a time...and keep yourself busy. Exercise, eat right, do things with your friends, even when you don't feel like doing it. The best thing my therapist ever said to me was, 'You don't have to like it, but you do have to accept it." I've used that phrase so many times over the last few years. It probably sounds weird, but since I'm a fixer person, I just cannot stand not being able to control situations to make them work out. Some things just don't and will never make sense or "work out." That only happens in a well written novel, not real life.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)