Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Peanut products Banned

Posted by   + Show Post

From our preschool.

I'm not really upset it just means I have to come up with other "last minute" lunch options.

Without causing a fight can someone please explain the reason why other children cant enjoy peanut products in the same classroom as a child with a peanut allergy?

I really have never dealt with a peanut allergy before or had friends that were allergic.

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:32 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:05 PM
3 moms liked this

The only responsibility I have in this world is MY CHILD. Not yours & not the neighbors, just mine period. If your child is so damn allergic to peanuts then send them to a special school or home-school them and stop making your child's issue the issue of all the other parents around you. Your child should be well educated in how to "help" themselves when they have a reaction and know how to care for their own medical needs. It is not my 6 yr old kindergartner's responsibility.

Quoting Piskie:

Sugar will not kill a diabetic. Stupid example.
Personally, I think its pathetic that youd risk killing another child over a stupid lunch option.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it is selfish of the parents of one or two children with these allergies in a school of 100's of children to tell others what can and cant be eaten. In fact I am shocked this issue hasnt been brought to court for person rights violations. It is almost like telling a whole school that they can not have anything with sugar for fear my diabetic child will consume it and die because it can kill her. 

Hoevegirl1986
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:07 PM

my friends cuzins have it so bad they can't even go to the store bc even the smell of it they will die bc of the reaction!

Piskie
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:09 PM
2 moms liked this
How wonderfully selfish. You wouldn't be bothered to make a different lunch, to stop killing a child.
I hope your kids have more compassion and thought than you.

Quoting Anonymous:

The only responsibility I have in this world is MY CHILD. Not yours & not the neighbors, just mine period. If your child is so damn allergic to peanuts then send them to a special school or home-school them and stop making your child's issue the issue of all the other parents around you. Your child should be well educated in how to "help" themselves when they have a reaction and know how to care for their own medical needs. It is not my 6 yr old kindergartner's responsibility.

Quoting Piskie:

Personally, I think its pathetic that youd risk killing another child over a stupid lunch option.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it is selfish of the parents of one or two children with these allergies in a school of 100's of children to tell others what can and cant be eaten. In fact I am shocked this issue hasnt been brought to court for person rights violations. It is almost like telling a whole school that they can not have anything with sugar for fear my diabetic child will consume it and die because it can kill her. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting autodidact:

that's exactly what I'm saying, if you know that it could lead to someone's death. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting autodidact:

no, sadly, human selfishness is a formidible force. 

Quoting Anonymous:

So what if a kid has PB for breakfast? They can't stop that now, can they?

So you're saying it's selfish to eat PB at home too?

So basically you're saying nobody should ever eat peanuts or peanut butter or anything like that. Ever.

lovemysnugbugs
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:12 PM
There are a lot of nut free options out there. I don't send nut products and there are still plenty of things my kids can eat. My kids love peanut butter and jelly, so we just eat it at home.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
zoegirlsmom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:13 PM

My DD has had a friend for years who is deathly allergic to tree nuts. We have her over to our house, but truthfully it is a lot of work. We have to clean and disinfect. I remove nuts from pantry, cabinet and refridgerator. Clean and disinfect and wipe everything thoroughly. I feel sorry for her there is no spur of the moment sleep overs or visits to our house.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:15 PM
3 moms liked this

No my kids dont have any more compassion than I do. They think the PB shit is stupid and most of their friends who have the allergy are embarrassed by their parents. My oldest daughter's husband is allergic and said he hated it when his mother got all Ninja angry about it in his schools. He said he knew what he was to do if he had a reaction and yet his mother acted like a total rampaging bitch at his school and he was so embarrassed and teased about it. He was not a moron in elementary school nor in high school. Some people need to stop treating their children like glass and allow them room to learn how to handle "THE REAL WORLD". Because I can garantee you no business will ban PB just because one or two employees are allergic.

Quoting Piskie:

How wonderfully selfish. You wouldn't be bothered to make a different lunch, to stop killing a child.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Piskie:

Quoting Anonymous:

pdxmum
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:21 PM

There was a boy in my daughter's preschool with severe allergies like this.  And basically, they barely survive.  It is an extreme handicap and they basically can't go anywhere.  This child required a special assistant and was often absent because of his allergies and reactions.  My guess is he has probably died unless his parents have literally put him in a bubble.

These types of extreme allergies are pretty rare though.  For the most part it is ingesting the peanut directly that gets kids in trouble.  My SS14 is one of those kids.  When he was much younger - pre-school age - he almost died twice because of inadvertant ingestion of peanuts.  I know once was a candy bar he shared with a friend.

At the age when I came into his life (8) he was completely self-sufficient and aware.  He takes complete ownership, eats nothing new without reading the label and hates pot lucks because he can basically eat nothing.

So, my guess is it is all about taking reasonable precautions in this daycare.  But I hope people take it seriously and think t wice about calling it stupid.  Is it really that awful to consider a little inconvenience to save a child?

Quoting wkukid:

I don't understand how these kids survive. They couldn't go to restaurants, grocery stores, anywhere that serve food. I don't see how they even go to school because kids eat peanut butter at home all the time. If its that extreme how do they live? I'm not insulting, I'm just curious.

Diamepphyre
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Because some kids are apparently so allergic that they have a reaction if they're even close to them, which I personally have never witnessed.  And I understand what you mean.  It's unfair to the majority of kids who don't have problems that they have to cater to the minority that does.

pdxmum
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:30 PM
1 mom liked this

You know, by the time a kid is in elementary school, they should be able to take care of themselves.  This post is about a pre-school.

If DH and BM didn't recognize the importance of teaching SS14 about his allergy, he would be dead today.  Simple fact.  Because an adult did give him candy and he did almost die. But gee, a 3 or 4 year old depends on the adults around him to keep him safe.

But I guess you let your kids run wild in the streets when they were in pre-school because you didn't treat them like glass.

You are quite the bitch aren't you?  I also love that you need to post anonymously.

And as far as a business banning peanuts for an employee with an allergy?  There is no simple answer to that.  Certain levels of the allergy would constitute a disability and therefore organizations by law must adhere to the ADA and make reasonable accommodations to their employees.  So yeah, if the employee is disabled, and the accommodation is reasonable, they might have to eliminate peanuts legally.

Dumbass.

Quoting Anonymous:

No my kids dont have any more compassion than I do. They think the PB shit is stupid and most of their friends who have the allergy are embarrassed by their parents. My oldest daughter's husband is allergic and said he hated it when his mother got all Ninja angry about it in his schools. He said he knew what he was to do if he had a reaction and yet his mother acted like a total rampaging bitch at his school and he was so embarrassed and teased about it. He was not a moron in elementary school nor in high school. Some people need to stop treating their children like glass and allow them room to learn how to handle "THE REAL WORLD". Because I can garantee you no business will ban PB just because one or two employees are allergic.

Quoting Piskie:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Piskie:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)