Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i want to know why my kids teacher is GONE

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My third graders teacher has been gone constantly this school year. She's in her mid fifties otherwise I'd think she was pregnant or parting or on drugs. She will be gone sometimes a couple weeks at a time and refuses to say why. We've only been back since Wednesday and she's only been there two days!!! I know I'm a stay at home mom but when I worked I didn't get days off like that. I got the teachers phone number from someone I know that is her second cousion and she got mad when I called and the teacher told me not to call! What the hell?! You're a teacher, you're supposed to answer school and he questions. I guess she doesn't care about my kid. The priniipal refuses to tell me why the teacher is out so much. As a parent, I deserve to know. How can I make them tell me?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:54 AM
Replies (531-540):
svolkov
by Emerald Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:02 PM
My guess is cancer treatments or other serious health issue with her or an immediate family member. Try some compassion and back off

Quoting Anonymous:

My tax dollars pay that teacher's salary!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:04 PM

I am a teacher, and you, lady, are a f'n idiot.  No one is accountable to you for their time off.  If a parent dared to call & question me as to why I'm off, I would tell them it's none of their business.  Because you know what?  IT'S NONE OF YOUR F'N BUSINESS! 

jessi2girls
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Quoting TheMommyTaxi:

You deserve to know nothing that the teacher doesn't choose to tell you, it's none of your business and I hope the superintendent tells you the same.  HIPA laws should forbid him from releasing that info to you anyway.  I long term subbed for a lady who had a fatal disease.  Some days were good and she would come in and work afternoon, somedays were bad and I worked all day.  The little guy didn't mind, he was taken care of, and he knew he would be.   Get over yourself.  I wonder if you'd be writing the other side of the argument if YOUR boss told someone why YOU weren't working???

the only problem here.. is that the OP can't put herself on the otherside of the argument because she doesn't work.. 

jessi2girls
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:07 PM

and it's people like you that are the reason why THANKFULLY there are privacy laws to protect teachers and their employers from having to disclose such information!

Until of course YOU find yourself at a job and find yourself pregnant or with a sick child, or a chronic illness and need to use FMLA yourself.. and gosh forbid your employer tells all of your co-workers your business and fire you for taking such time off, and then you lose your home, and are left homeless.. because you wanted to fight for the right to invade other peoples privacy, and advocate that they become fired for missing time off!

Quoting JanuaryBaby06:

if there personal stuff is interferring with their ability to do their job then yes they either need to let parents know or step down all together. It's not fair that the class fall so far behind.

Quoting Maevelyn:

So going along with you guys

1. Teachers have no right to privacy

2. The elderly shouldn't work

3. People who may have health issues or who have to care for a family member with health issues have no right to work

Let me guess, you also bitch about people on welfair buying soda and chips right?

Quoting Anonymous:

Then this teacher should do that. Its not right

Quoting Lyssa0587:

My nephews teacher was like this ( hes in kindergarten). She was an older woman and was always out because of family problems or something. Parents began to complain because the class was behind the other two classes because they always had substiutes and there wasn't any consistency. The teacher ended up just retiring from the pressure( she needed to, she was old). 

myboysSMSB
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Quoting Mashnut3161:

Quoting myboysSMSB:

I understand where you are coming from, a child that age needs stability, and if his/her teacher is always gone... also no he isn't getting a proper education because there is no way everything is being covered when he has a different teacher every other day. A teacher gets to know her students and knows how they learn best.
You however had no right contacting her outside of school. Like others have said most likely she has a medical problem. The school should address this and she should be put on leave indefinately until she can do her job and show up on a regular basis. That may sound cruel, but if you can't do your job, if you can't show up, you should be let go.

how do you know a different sub is there every day? where did OP say that?

She didn't I'm just going off *my* experience that schools can't ALWAYS get the same sub in this kind of situation. When a teacher goes on say maternity leave, it is easy, they hire on a sub full time to cover her until she gets back. They can't really call for a permanent sub in this situation because she isn't gone for a long period of time, just a few days here a week or so there. Subs work on an as need basis, so they may have other jobs and can't come running every time they get a call for one specific classroom. We can assume they aren't having the same sub because the school district would have to hire a sub on full time to make sure that specific sub is there when they need him/her when this teacher randomly needs time off and they aren't going to do that.

SuperMommy8908
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Hun, NO ONE is condoning her calling the teacher at home! That of course is unacceptable. We are simply stating that we understand her frustration.

Quoting jessi2girls:

And that is a concern you need to take up with the principle so that you can address your concerns and suggest they have a more permant sub while this teacher is out, or ask if your child can transfer classes... it's not your right to know why she is out, or to harass her at her home such as the OP has done

Quoting potgieter:

I understand that she may have personal issues but a teacher who is out of the class frequently has a negative affect on the kids on the class. I wouldnt be happy with that at all. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:08 PM

No it's not you idiot.  If there subs in class, they have been approved by the school district to teach.  Some schools have nothing but subs for some classes because they don't have enough full time teachers.  Some teachers become ill with cancer and are out for months & month and have long term subs.  Some teachers go on materinity leave and have a long term sub.  It is no one's business and her child's education is not suffering. 

Quoting Anonymous:

It is her business if her child's education is suffering.

Quoting Anonymous:

It's none of your business. Maybe she has a medical condition that she does want to disclose because she doesn't want her students to know.

jessi2girls
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:09 PM

That's up to her employer to deal with and fire her for.. although seeing as you went anon.. I highly doubt this is real. 

Quoting Anonymous:

My friends mom was a teacher and a raging alcoholic, she would miss days and weeks because she would be too drunk to function.

carter210
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Keep calling and hopefully she files harassment charges on your ass.

It's none of your business!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Geeez how sad that you think you are so special that you have a right to know someone elses business. its none of your damn business just as its none of anyones business why you are a sahm. If I was her & the school I would get you for harrassment, thats all you are doing. Quit being a pain in the ass & grow the hell up!! Someone elses life is none of your business. Stop thinking you are entitled to information that you are NOT entitled to. NOSEY!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured