Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

i want to know why my kids teacher is GONE

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My third graders teacher has been gone constantly this school year. She's in her mid fifties otherwise I'd think she was pregnant or parting or on drugs. She will be gone sometimes a couple weeks at a time and refuses to say why. We've only been back since Wednesday and she's only been there two days!!! I know I'm a stay at home mom but when I worked I didn't get days off like that. I got the teachers phone number from someone I know that is her second cousion and she got mad when I called and the teacher told me not to call! What the hell?! You're a teacher, you're supposed to answer school and he questions. I guess she doesn't care about my kid. The priniipal refuses to tell me why the teacher is out so much. As a parent, I deserve to know. How can I make them tell me?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:54 AM
Replies (601-610):
jessi2girls
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:28 PM
2 moms liked this

" if she's gone for health reasons, she should go on a leave of absense instead of having differnet subs in constantly."

My response was in response to this part of your post.. a "leave of absense" as defined by FMLA can be up to 12 weeks.   BUT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE A CONSISTANT 12 weeks!  Therefore, a "leave of absense" won't help a teacher, that say, has cancer, and has to go in for a round of treatment every month, and take a week off for recoverly!.. In fact, it would cover about 3 full months, and then the teacher would be SOL.. and could be terminated.. 

If the teacher is taking as many days off as the OP is suggesting, and the principle already told her he can not comment on the reasons why, he's likely more than aware of what is going on, and she has put in for FMLA and qualified for it.   How she uses FMLA is between herself, her employer, and her doctor(s). 

As to your reply.. yes, the substitute may not be a great one, and yes, if that is a concern, by all means, the OP should address her concerns about that, (WITHOUT FURTHER HARASSING THE POOR TEACHER!!), whom really, has nothing to do with the substitute(s), aside from laying out the curriculum while she's absent. 

Quoting TAG_ur_it:

i know what it is and how it works. 

it's the job of the school to make sure that the classes are well taken care of and taught properly in the absense of the teacher.  my son and his entire class suffered because of a shoddy replacement while she was on leave.  the same damn thing happened in my economics class in high school.  teacher was out on maternity leave and we had a piss poor sub.   a stable,suitable replacement for the time she is gone should be the proper course of action, not a steady stream of random subs or one really bad one. it's not the parents business why the teacher is gone. the simple fact that she IS gone is their business.  OP still has the right to be upset.  and i'd still be upset too. but i don't blame the teacher one bit.  if there is a steady, reliable sub that does the job like it needs to be done, then that's a whole other story.  if that is the case, then it wouldn't matter. but if a teacher's health is adversely affecting an entire class, be it from failure to perform her duties or unsuitable subs, then the school needs to do whatever will be beneficial for the students.  

Quoting jessi2girls:

You people need to learn what FMLA is and how it works!!

Quoting TAG_ur_it:

i'd be upset too.  my son's teacher went on maternity leave in novemeber (this was a few years ago).  the sub covering for her did squat for teaching, even though she herself was a retired teacher.   my son's grades were fine while his regular teacher was there, but crap with the sub.  i wouldn't be so concerned as to why the teacher was gone, but the quality of education the kids are getting while she's gone. honestly, i would request my child be moved to another class.  if she's gone for health reasons, she should go on a leave of absense instead of having differnet subs in constantly.  the kids need stabililty in the classroom.  

TAG_ur_it
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:31 PM

read my other responses.  i specifically addressed those issues.  i completely agree that she should not be harassing the teacher and posted as much.

Quoting jessi2girls:

" if she's gone for health reasons, she should go on a leave of absense instead of having differnet subs in constantly."

My response was in response to this part of your post.. a "leave of absense" as defined by FMLA can be up to 12 weeks.   BUT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE A CONSISTANT 12 weeks!  Therefore, a "leave of absense" won't help a teacher, that say, has cancer, and has to go in for a round of treatment every month, and take a week off for recoverly!.. In fact, it would cover about 3 full months, and then the teacher would be SOL.. and could be terminated.. 

If the teacher is taking as many days off as the OP is suggesting, and the principle already told her he can not comment on the reasons why, he's likely more than aware of what is going on, and she has put in for FMLA and qualified for it.   How she uses FMLA is between herself, her employer, and her doctor(s). 

As to your reply.. yes, the substitute may not be a great one, and yes, if that is a concern, by all means, the OP should address her concerns about that, (WITHOUT FURTHER HARASSING THE POOR TEACHER!!), whom really, has nothing to do with the substitute(s), aside from laying out the curriculum while she's absent. 

Quoting TAG_ur_it:

it's the job of the school to make sure that the classes are well taken care of and taught properly in the absense of the teacher.  my son and his entire class suffered because of a shoddy replacement while she was on leave.  the same damn thing happened in my economics class in high school.  teacher was out on maternity leave and we had a piss poor sub.   a stable,suitable replacement for the time she is gone should be the proper course of action, not a steady stream of random subs or one really bad one. it's not the parents business why the teacher is gone. the simple fact that she IS gone is their business.  OP still has the right to be upset.  and i'd still be upset too. but i don't blame the teacher one bit.  if there is a steady, reliable sub that does the job like it needs to be done, then that's a whole other story.  if that is the case, then it wouldn't matter. but if a teacher's health is adversely affecting an entire class, be it from failure to perform her duties or unsuitable subs, then the school needs to do whatever will be beneficial for the students.  

Quoting jessi2girls:

Quoting TAG_ur_it:

i'd be upset too.  my son's teacher went on maternity leave in novemeber (this was a few years ago).  the sub covering for her did squat for teaching, even though she herself was a retired teacher.   my son's grades were fine while his regular teacher was there, but crap with the sub.  i wouldn't be so concerned as to why the teacher was gone, but the quality of education the kids are getting while she's gone. honestly, i would request my child be moved to another class.  if she's gone for health reasons, she should go on a leave of absense instead of having differnet subs in constantly.  the kids need stabililty in the classroom.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 121 on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:33 PM

You called her HOUSE!?!?!?!?!

You are an ass.

mariesmama
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:35 PM

maybe the teacher has a health problem like breast cancer or something and goes in for treatments

DixieL
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:36 PM

I don't think we have the right to know if she has medical or emotional problems that she doesn't want to talk about.

Saille717
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Nasty troll is lame.  

tastelikeyum
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:37 PM
You sound like a psycho. You are stalking that poor woman.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jessi2girls
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I read your other reponse, clearly you missed both Mine and the other posters point!

If you reread your own response (where I also quoted below), this is why we addressed you as such.   Yes we are aware that you added in some stuff at the end, but that doesn't negate what you first stated, which was suggesting that she should be mandated to take a leave of absense.   To which, myself, and the other poster quoting you, have FULLY addressed. 

So, if you'd like to reply back, do not type "read __".. we've read it.  You need to reread your OWN posts, and understand why we've responded in the way we have.

Honestly, the fault isn't on us. lol.  Either you incorrectly worded the statement I quoted from you.. or you, yourself, has to go back and reread, and possible learn some better reading comprehension skills.  

Quoting TAG_ur_it:

read my other responses.  i specifically addressed those issues.  i completely agree that she should not be harassing the teacher and posted as much.

Quoting jessi2girls:

Quoting TAG_ur_it:

Quoting jessi2girls:

Quoting TAG_ur_it:

1plustwinsmommy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:39 PM
Please be a troll.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 122 on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:41 PM

ever consider that maybe she is sick? like cancer sick? or maybe something else is going on with her. Frankly it's none of your business, teachers have lives too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)