Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

i want to know why my kids teacher is GONE

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My third graders teacher has been gone constantly this school year. She's in her mid fifties otherwise I'd think she was pregnant or parting or on drugs. She will be gone sometimes a couple weeks at a time and refuses to say why. We've only been back since Wednesday and she's only been there two days!!! I know I'm a stay at home mom but when I worked I didn't get days off like that. I got the teachers phone number from someone I know that is her second cousion and she got mad when I called and the teacher told me not to call! What the hell?! You're a teacher, you're supposed to answer school and he questions. I guess she doesn't care about my kid. The priniipal refuses to tell me why the teacher is out so much. As a parent, I deserve to know. How can I make them tell me?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:54 AM
Replies (731-740):
sfkdny
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:45 AM
None of your business
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
emmiesmommie422
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this

It's none of your business at all. The school will figure something out. SHe could be having chemo treatments for all you know, she could a spouse dying, a child dying. It's none of your business either way you look at it. I am a teacher, but I am on maternity leave. Teachers don't just take days off without reason. They are professionals who care just as much about your little one as you want them to. Get over yourself and mind your own business. I am trying to wrap my mind around the fact that you actually called this woman's home!

Mom2Boys9501
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Maybe he/she is sick or one of their family members. If you really want to know why not send them an email asking if they are ok instead of complaining about it.

Mashnut3161
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

Really you have deaf friends? Come on what are the chances you just so happen to not have one but several deaf friends and your bashing on the one deaf person here willing to admit its not in her kids best interest to be taught reading.

Quoting Anonymous:

Wait wait wait. I have friends who are deaf and they have helped teach their children how to read just fine. Wow. Just wow at this whole thread.

Quoting Jalestra:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Jalestra:

If your child can't read, then that's on you. There is NOTHING Iin elementary that can't be reinforced at home. So yes, you ARE an asshole!

I'm deaf hon. Me teaching kids to read would be like a blind man teaching kids colors. So still not an asshole. 

My DHs deaf cousin had no issues teaching her children how to read. I don't think that it is an excuse.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 146 on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:58 PM
If she refuses to answer then its probally personal. Just cause she's your kids teacher doesn't mean you can bobard her privacy like that. If it bothers you witch it seems to change teachers. It would be annoying cause there's no stability in teaching your kid but you can't force them to tell you......
jessi2girls
by Ruby Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:20 PM

1-The teacher isn't "abandoning" them.. there is a substitute teacher in the class with them. Any concerns about how the SUB preforms need to be addressed to those who hired the sub (in otherwords, the principle or school board). If the class if falling behind, it is the job of the school to step in and find a better replacement sub, and to converse with the teacher and parents (seperately) on ways to improve the quality of education the students are recieving.

2- YOU most certainly DO do crap!  It is NOT the schools job to provide more than the curriculum to your child. It is NOT the schools job to assist your child at home.. it is NOT the schools job to make you get a tutor for your child that is falling behind.  It's not the schools job to baby every single student that comes in. The SCHOOLS job is very simply to provide the curriculum given to them by the state.  A teacher, as an EMPLOYEE, has the same rights as any other worker out there! They are NOT slaves to YOU or your child! If you'd prefer your child's teacher doesn't have equal rights.. you either need to step in and homeschool yourself, or send them to nation that is currently okay with having teachers as slaves.   

3- This teacher is WELL WITHIN her rights to take time off. She is doing her job.  Again, if you do not like the way the education system is set up, you have other options... otherwise. DEAL WITH IT you selfish little twit!

4- Yes, I read that the teacher was gone "most of the time", however, there was NO comment from the OP stating the CLASS is falling behind. Or fear of any such thing! Please reread the OP's comments before making a further ass of yourself. That was simply an ASSumption from idiots who clearly can't read.

5-Nobody said the school shouldn't have a more permanent sub IF that is not already occurring, and NOBODY was against discussing with the principle the quality of education the children are recieving under the sub.. in fact several gave this as a suggestion, but the OP doesn't care, and would rather have the teacher fired. NOBODY is against seeking outside help for their child as another option, nobody is against asking for the child to transfer out of that class and into a more stable one. Again, that was a ASSumption of YOURS.Nobody has said the teacher isn't coordinating with the sub either.. THAT IS AN ASSumption of YOURS.  Please pull your head out of your ass!  

6- That is fine that you had a teacher that managed well to coordinate with the sub.. again, there is no mention from the OP that the teacher isn't doing just that.. or that the class is suffering.. she's just being a nosy bitch. There are other teachers.. that people have commented on thorought the the thread however, that haven't been so lucky, and have passed away.   Way to keep pushing your teacher in everyones face as an example of what a teacher SHOULD do (even if they are dying). Hope you can sleep with yourself at night!

7- PLEASE, show me where EXACTLY the OP stated the class was behind? Again, the OP (original poster) said NO such thing.  Other posters have expressed HYPOTHETICAL concern about the OP's child's class POSSIBLY falling behind! That is all!

8-I highly doubt you work well with the school district with your entitled attitude and your agreement with the OP... Most everyone else in this thread, have a FAR better sense of community, and working well together, than you idiots!  Working well means expressing actual concern when a teacher is down and out.. not just for your child, but for the teacher, the school, the other students, and YOU make the effort to work with the school, YOU take responsibility to make sure your child isn't suffering because of it WITHOUT harassing a poor teacher!! Working well together takes YOU assuming some responsibility of your own.. and you've already stated several times how YOU personally won't take responsibility for your childs education that it's not your job. I very much highly doubt you had anything to do with volunteering to be polite to this teacher you are referring to.  Of course you could just be a fucking hypocrite who's okay with a teacher in her district taking time off, but flips out if it's some other teacher in the nation! YOUR poor teachers could do no wrong.. is that it? Oh wait.. that's right, the japanese class!  SMH.. you are so full of contradictions and bullshit.. it's honestly disgusting.

BTW... it's called autocorrect.. so shut the fuck up!

Honestly, you are so disgustingly full of hypocrisy, contradictions, and bullshit.. it's disgusting!

Get a fucking life. 

Quoting Jalestra:

Obviously I believe teachers have a responsibility to their students, yes. I think abandoning them until the class falls behind is a bad thing, yes. We put our kids in school for a reason. We have asked the school to assume responsibility of their education. WE aren't doing crap unless you homeschool. They are doing a job, and they should do it right. 

If you'd read the response the response to THIS particular comment, and you can read through the quotes, the teacher was gone MOST OF THE TIME. The classes were falling behind. Should the school wait until parents complain? NO. They should be aware of what's going on because the teacher tells them and together make sure there is an alternative in place and not screw little kids over. WE HAD A TEACHER WITH CANCER HERE LAST YEAR WHO MANAGED IT. Chemo and her class didn't fall behind because the teacher, the sub, the parents, and the principal worked together. If a teacher can puke from chemo and still show a commitment to those students and be sure they get what they deserve then she is a true teacher.  

AGAIN, if you'd read this particular quote thread, the STUDENTS WERE BEHIND. You know why OUR teacher's kids weren't behind while she was doing chemo? Because in our system the teachers, princiPAL, sub AND parents worked together. Because WE, including the sick teacher, believe that education is important and that these kids deserve better than our best. And because she's a good teacher who is committed to her students, when the school had a fundraiser for her, it made money. When she walked for her cancer, the parents donated, when she couldn't be in, meals were cooked and sent to her family. You know why? Because we are all committed to the same cause and she cares about her students. There's a reason our public schools rank in the top 5 of the nation. Because we hire teachers, not people looking for easy money and summers off. 

And btw, it's princiPAL. For fuck's sake, spell it right. People bitch about the education in America and then bitch and moan when the people responsible for it are held to that responsibility. But I guess teachers are not responsible for anything. It's all up to everyone else, except the person we pay to do that job. 

Quoting jessi2girls:

No, that is not what we believe, but obviously what you believe if you assume teachers should be fired even if they are ill!  Screw them right?   You want them replaced if they have to take time off occasionally to get treatment for cancer!!  

THAT'S what every man for himself would want!  Not to support the teacher during a rough period of time s/he may be going through.   As for my child, it's MY responsibility to see to their educational needs, so if the PRINCIPLE is not hiring adequate substitutes, it's MY JOB to see that I discuss THAT with the principle.. I also have the right to ask that my child be transferred out of the class, although the principle doesn't have to grant such a request... I also have the right to transfer my child out of that school and into another school or to homeschool, or even hire a tutor to help my child in areas I feel my child might be missing because of inadequate subs. 

But yes, you are an asshole!  Who honestly compares drunk drivers to teachers that are out on leave?? Seriously?  That is honestly the WORST "comparision (and I use that term loosely) I've ever heard in my life!  

You clearly have no understanding of what medical leave is.. FMLA (family medical leave act).. allows for 12 weeks off missed time off.   YOU DO NOT HAVE TO USE THOSE 12 WEEKS CONSISTANTLY!!!!  Only a doctor AND employer can approve FMLA.. and the law protects those on FMLA from being fired, and demoted.

9 times out of 10, it's UNPAID leave. In otherwords for your "brilliant mind" arrangements have already been MADE.. and the principle is well aware of these arrangments. 

Nobody said that the subs in this situation were not in contact with the teacher or that the subs were doing a very good, very bad, or okay job.. In fact the OP doesn't care.. she just wants to call and harass the teacher on the teachers private cell number, and get her fired. And again, It's YOUR job to take any issues regarding your childs education with a sub, up with the principle to work out.. Not the teacher that is absent!S/HE doesn't hire the subs!

Nobodies arguing that poor subbing can ruin a childs education, but again, that's not the teachers job to worry about, that's her employers job. THEY hire the subs.  Nobody is arguing that as a parent we shouldnt' step up and try to find out what can be done to help our childs education during such a school year. 

The TEACHER didn't screw them over.. the person that hired inadequate subbing is. 

and yes, you are an asshole! A very IGNORANT ONE!  Who must believe the world revolves around YOU and YOUR CHILD.. 

forget that this teachers OWN CHILD could be dying.. forget that this teacher could be dying.. forget that this teacher could be stuck on jury duty and have no choice about her time off.. oh that's right, SHE'S the "irresponsible" on though for preforming a duty, that if she declines, will go to jail for. or she's the "irresponsible" one for not being there for her child to take her child to get the medical attention she needs to survive... in order to be there FULL TIME with your child... yeah she's the "irresponsible" one who is in the hospital near death.. and should instead be rolled in on said hospital bed, and half drugged out, just to reassure you that she's "doing her job"!

You and the OP.. what a bunch of ignorant, idiotic, selfish, assholes!

Quoting Jalestra:

Ok, so you think every man for himself and to hell with everyone else, including those who depend on you and I believe in not harming children for your own benefit.

And I'm the asshole why again? It's not about what *I* want, it's about doing your job. If you can't do your job due to medical problems it's called medical leave or you make arrangements. My daughter's school had a teacher last year undergoing treatments for cancer and SHE made sure if she missed work the sub was informed and the school had the sub come in even when the teacher was there. It kept continuity for the children and the sub was able to keep the children up to same pace and standards so they didn't suffer. If you can't do that, you go on leave. I think if that teacher can be puking with chemo treatments and losing her hair and be responsible, just about anyone else can. 

You damn sure don't screw with the education of little kids. That's their lives your screwing with. A year of missed education or falling behind hurts every one of those kids.

Did you know where I live if you miss kindergarden you can't go in the first grade. You have to be reading by a certain level to get to the first grade and doing a certain level of math. That's a big deal if an entire class has to repeat a grade because the teacher screwed them over. But I'M the asshole. Gotcha.

Good, I'll be the asshole. I'm the asshole who thinks it's wrong to screw over little kids for your own benefit. 

Quoting Anonymous:

IF the teacher or a family member is ill, she needs medical insurance. IF she quits, that goes. The bottom line is, no matter how much you think she owes it to you or the OP to do what you want, the teacher doesn't! We all make decisions in our lives in the best interest of us and those around us. You and the OP are a couple of real winners.

Quoting Jalestra:

Quoting Bonita131:

Quoting Jalestra:

Quoting Bonita131:

Quoting Lyssa0587:

My nephews teacher was like this ( hes in kindergarten). She was an older woman and was always out because of family problems or something. Parents began to complain because the class was behind the other two classes because they always had substiutes and there wasn't any consistency. The teacher ended up just retiring from the pressure( she needed to, she was old). 

My, don't you sound like the compassionate one. Remember what you just said for the day when you're old and "need" to go.

Anytime the class is falling behind because of a teacher, she needs to go. Compassion isn't going to fix a year's worth of ruined education for those kids. I hope when I get to that point I'll be smart enough and compassionate enough not to screw others over and recognize that I am harming, not helping, the very people who depend on me.

Like I said. Aren't you the compassionate one.

Yeah, I also don't feel sorry for drunk drivers that kill people even if they are drunk because their wife left them, their kid has leukemia, their dog died, their house burned down and their truck got repossessed. I'm such an asshole. We're adults, we're supposed to be responsible. Even when we don't want or feel like it, especially in regards to children.

skmehlebam
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:23 PM
I don't think its your business but I do think they need to replace her with a permanent replacement. Stupid fucking unions. Its not good for the students to have a revolving door of teachers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabid74
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:26 PM
Subs have teaching degrees. She tells them what area to cover. She probably even draws up the teaching plans herself. You are very rude and insensitive to call her at home and demand to know what is wrong. She more than likely is dealing with a medical issue. And there are laws protecting her privacy. You continue on your quest, you may find yourself in some trouble
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jessi2girls
by Ruby Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Quoting Jalestra:

Quoting jessi2girls:

Quoting Jalestra:

Quoting jessi2girls:

Quoting Jalestra:

Quoting Bonita131:

Quoting Jalestra:

Quoting Bonita131:

Quoting Lyssa0587:

My nephews teacher was like this ( hes in kindergarten). She was an older woman and was always out because of family problems or something. Parents began to complain because the class was behind the other two classes because they always had substiutes and there wasn't any consistency. The teacher ended up just retiring from the pressure( she needed to, she was old). 

My, don't you sound like the compassionate one. Remember what you just said for the day when you're old and "need" to go.

Anytime the class is falling behind because of a teacher, she needs to go. Compassion isn't going to fix a year's worth of ruined education for those kids. I hope when I get to that point I'll be smart enough and compassionate enough not to screw others over and recognize that I am harming, not helping, the very people who depend on me.

Like I said. Aren't you the compassionate one.

Yeah, I also don't feel sorry for drunk drivers that kill people even if they are drunk because their wife left them, their kid has leukemia, their dog died, their house burned down and their truck got repossessed. I'm such an asshole. We're adults, we're supposed to be responsible. Even when we don't want or feel like it, especially in regards to children.

a drunk driver that is putting their life and others on the road ways lives in danger because of being irresponsible and selfish, is in NO WAY compariable to a teacher that takes time off for any number of reasons.

You are honestly going to compare a drunk driver to a teacher that is out on jury duty?

Or a person that takes time off for cancer???

There is a difference between being a DANGEROUS selfish idiot, and taking time off that you are LEGALLY ALLOWED TO, to deal with personal matters.

FMLA has to be approved.. btw. so it's not like she can just use it because she feels like it!  

Pull your head out of your ass!

A teacher out for ONE day is one thing, but when they spend most of the year gone to the extent that the class is getting behind, it's irresponsible. That affects children's lives. If those kids have to repeat a year, and yes, even kindergarden. Or have to be in reading recovery, not because they don't get it, but because an adult decided to short them. If you'd read what this particular post was responding to you'd see where a woman said her nephews teacher was out so much it put the entire class behind the other classes.In my kids' school the kids have to be reading at a certain level in order to move on to kindergarden and they have to do math to a certain level. It's best to exceed that level or they do Reading Recovery.  A teacher who does not make arrangements or refuses to recognize when they are no longer capable of being a good teacher has a responsibility to the students to stop. 

And as I've mentioned several times..we had a teacher out last year alot for cancer treatments. Puking from chemo and HER class didn't fall behind because she kept her things in order while she was out and worked with the sub when she was in. 

LMAO.. oh yes. .the teacher is the only one who is irresponsible!  That's right!  

You are such a damn hypocrite and idiot!  The ONLY adult that is shorting a child on their education when a teacher is out, is THE PARENT for not stepping up, and making sure that in the teachers absence the quality of education is still available.. if that means transferring their child to another school for the remainder of the year, homeschooling, tutoring.. THAT IS THE PARENTS RESPONSIBILITY TO ENSURE!

Oh yeah, that's right, you aren't responsible for your childs education.. it's not your job! SMH at the idioticy here!  YOU are the adult that is responsible for your child..  As for your japanese class that your child was "shorted".. YOU needed to step in and make arrangements so your child didn't fall behind.  YOU. 

And again, nobody said the teacher wasn't working with the subs. In fact, nobody said the children in this class are falling behind.    In fact the ONLY thing the teacher did that was noted, was become upset when the OP stalked down her PERSONAL cell number and harassed her at home demanding to know why she was out!

So if I'M the boss of education why are wasting so much money on the education comission? WTF are we paying these people for if I have to come babysit them to do their job? If I need to do the school's job, then maybe I should be the one getting paid. I don't stand over my accountant, I don't stand over my lawyer. They do their job and do it right or GTFO. 

You people need your coffee. And don't call me an idiot. I can spell princiPAL. AND here, let me repost the falling behind since you are too much of an IDIOT to look yourself. JUST SCROLL UP!!!!!! 

Again, this is the reason our kids are falling behind in education. Because apparently the schools have NO responsibility. We parents are supposed to be standing around babysitting and teaching them how to do their job.

Yeah, teachers will LOVE that.

1- Yes, you are RESPONSIBLE for your childs education! You pay fucking taxes for a number of reasons, not just education! You pay about 10 fucking cents a year to a teachers salary.. and a public school system IS NOT the only option you fucking have!

2- Teachers, again, ARE NOT YOUR SLAVES! Get that through your fucking head!

3- NOBODY SAID THESE CHILDREN WERE NOT BEING EDUCATED YOU FUCKING IDIOT!!!

IF YOUR ACCOUNTANT IS OUT SICK FOR AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME HE HAS SOMEONE TO STEP IN FOR HIM TO DO THE WORK FOR YOU> NOBODY IS SAYING THIS TEACHER HASN"T DONE JUST THAT!!!

My gosh you are so ignorant!

Who the fuck cares if you can spell  one fucking word (which again, autocorrect dumbass... it's not perfect) ! Have you read what you've written? It screams IDIOT!

4- that quote.. wasn't from the op stupid! It was from Lyssa0587.. If the OP had written it, it would have stated: Quoting: Anonymous Original Poster!!

So yes, I repeat, You are an idiot!

I sincerely hope nobody treated you as trashy as you are expecting this teacher should be treated when you went deaf! 

jessi2girls
by Ruby Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:32 PM

So they should fire her? Because that's what a permanent replacement is! Thankfully the law protects workers from being fired with FMLA. 

Quoting skmehlebam:

I don't think its your business but I do think they need to replace her with a permanent replacement. Stupid fucking unions. Its not good for the students to have a revolving door of teachers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN