Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

i want to know why my kids teacher is GONE

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My third graders teacher has been gone constantly this school year. She's in her mid fifties otherwise I'd think she was pregnant or parting or on drugs. She will be gone sometimes a couple weeks at a time and refuses to say why. We've only been back since Wednesday and she's only been there two days!!! I know I'm a stay at home mom but when I worked I didn't get days off like that. I got the teachers phone number from someone I know that is her second cousion and she got mad when I called and the teacher told me not to call! What the hell?! You're a teacher, you're supposed to answer school and he questions. I guess she doesn't care about my kid. The priniipal refuses to tell me why the teacher is out so much. As a parent, I deserve to know. How can I make them tell me?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:54 AM
Replies (751-760):
jessi2girls
by Ruby Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Quoting jjchick75:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Jalestra:

Quoting jessi2girls:

Quoting Jalestra:

Quoting Bonita131:

Quoting Jalestra:

Quoting Bonita131:

Quoting Lyssa0587:

My nephews teacher was like this ( hes in kindergarten). She was an older woman and was always out because of family problems or something. Parents began to complain because the class was behind the other two classes because they always had substiutes and there wasn't any consistency. The teacher ended up just retiring from the pressure( she needed to, she was old). 

My, don't you sound like the compassionate one. Remember what you just said for the day when you're old and "need" to go.

Anytime the class is falling behind because of a teacher, she needs to go. Compassion isn't going to fix a year's worth of ruined education for those kids. I hope when I get to that point I'll be smart enough and compassionate enough not to screw others over and recognize that I am harming, not helping, the very people who depend on me.

Like I said. Aren't you the compassionate one.

Yeah, I also don't feel sorry for drunk drivers that kill people even if they are drunk because their wife left them, their kid has leukemia, their dog died, their house burned down and their truck got repossessed. I'm such an asshole. We're adults, we're supposed to be responsible. Even when we don't want or feel like it, especially in regards to children.

a drunk driver that is putting their life and others on the road ways lives in danger because of being irresponsible and selfish, is in NO WAY compariable to a teacher that takes time off for any number of reasons.

You are honestly going to compare a drunk driver to a teacher that is out on jury duty?

Or a person that takes time off for cancer???

There is a difference between being a DANGEROUS selfish idiot, and taking time off that you are LEGALLY ALLOWED TO, to deal with personal matters.

FMLA has to be approved.. btw. so it's not like she can just use it because she feels like it!  

Pull your head out of your ass!

A teacher out for ONE day is one thing, but when they spend most of the year gone to the extent that the class is getting behind, it's irresponsible. That affects children's lives. If those kids have to repeat a year, and yes, even kindergarden. Or have to be in reading recovery, not because they don't get it, but because an adult decided to short them. If you'd read what this particular post was responding to you'd see where a woman said her nephews teacher was out so much it put the entire class behind the other classes.In my kids' school the kids have to be reading at a certain level in order to move on to kindergarden and they have to do math to a certain level. It's best to exceed that level or they do Reading Recovery.  A teacher who does not make arrangements or refuses to recognize when they are no longer capable of being a good teacher has a responsibility to the students to stop. 

And as I've mentioned several times..we had a teacher out last year alot for cancer treatments. Puking from chemo and HER class didn't fall behind because she kept her things in order while she was out and worked with the sub when she was in. 

just so you know chemo and radation treatments affect everyone different. just because your child's teacher came to class and puke( where u there everyday?) doesn't mean that someone else going through treatments can stand, walk, ect.

Couldn't agree more. Not only that but the teacher shouldn't have to come to school puking and sick from chemo! She should have the opition of taking time off and recovering like every other person in whatever career field they work in. I know I went through 2 parents going through chemo and neither would have been able to teach. Most days they couldn't eat and needed help for every day task like getting dressed and using the restroom! But I also know that those treatments are expensive and without insurance would have been impossibe for my parents to recieve. That is why places aren't allowed to up and fire people because they are sick. A teacher is not your personal slave, she is an employee of the school who has as many rights as any other employee of any other company. If the teacher for whatever reason feels she can't give 100% at this moment she has the righ to take her vacation or sick leave and let a subsitute who can take care of things do so!

I'm so glad so many in this post have common sense and are trying to spread that common sense to others who just don't get that teachers are not slaves that should be at our beck and call 24/7!

I couldn't agree more with you jjchick75! 

Mashnut3161
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:40 PM
3 moms liked this

I thought that by now she would have had an update, telling us that she got the superintendent of the school board on her side, to tell her everything. lol***sarcasm*** seriously, where is the update crazy lady.

blank stare

Anonymous
by Anonymous 149 on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:44 PM

I dunno. my son's teacher started being gone a lot this year too. the week before xmas break she sent a letter home saying she was not coming back after xmas break. she was retiring early due to her husband being seriously ill and her needing to be at home to take care of him. it could be something like that. but I don't think they have to give you a reason why. as long as there is a teacher there, then that is all that matters. you could always try and request that your child be moved to a different classroom where the teacher is always there. but that about all you can do I think.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 150 on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:47 PM
You have no right to know, her personal life is her business. That's like demanding to know what she eats everyday. And she may have a lot of paid leave. I know I had a teacher in high school that had so much paid leave she could've been gone the whole year. What you can do, and have the right to do, is request your child be put in a class that will provide stability and consistency.
beerabitch69
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:48 PM
My kids teacher was gone a lot too.

She was at meetings.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
funnymom32
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Ummmm, you called the teacher's home phone? yuck!!  That is totally inappropriate.  Maybe she has cancer and getting chemo treatments and doesn't want people to know, maybe her SO is very sick and she doesn't want people to know. MYOB!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 151 on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:48 PM
Her absence is none of your business.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 103 on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:46 AM
Well where is the update???!!! The op said she was going to a meeting. Wonder if they told her the same thing everyone here is saying!! Come back out op!!! We're waiting to hear!!!!!
14LVL
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:20 AM
You can't make them tell you. I agree with everyone else and calling her at home is overstepping .... !
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 19 on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:50 AM

She is probably in jail for either trespassing, stalking, or harrassment.  What a nutjob!

Quoting Anonymous:

Well where is the update???!!! The op said she was going to a meeting. Wonder if they told her the same thing everyone here is saying!! Come back out op!!! We're waiting to hear!!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)