Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you think? Is it wrong to pierce a baby's ears?

Posted by   + Show Post

Parents Who Pierce Their Baby's Ears Are Just Plain Cruel

Posted by The Stir Bloggers on January 8, 2013 

little earEarlier this morning, I came across a discussion over the argument of whether or not to pierce a baby's ears. A disgruntled reader wrote to the Dear Mary Ann column at the Pittsburgh Post Gazette voicing her opinion on the issue -- she thinks it's borderline child abuse.

And you know what? I think I have to agree with her on this one. Because piercing a baby girl's ears not only seems mean and cruel to me -- it also just seems so vain and unnecessary.

Here you have this perfect little angel who is sugar and spice and everything nice -- and you want to go pierce two tiny holes through her earlobes and cause her pain simply because you think she'll look cute in a pair of heart-shaped studs?

Yes, I know putting it that way sounds a little bit extreme, but it's a pretty accurate description. 

My mother took me to get my ears pierced when I was in the fourth grade, I believe -- and I still remember how bad it hurt when that piercing gun went through my skin. And I also remember what a pain it was to keep my earlobes clean and to turn the earrings every day so the holes wouldn't close up.

If it was that bad for a fourth grader (who willingly got her ears pierced), I can't even imagine what a drag having pierced ears must be for a baby.

And that brings us to the whole problem of ear pulling. Aren't parents afraid that their poor baby girls are going to reach up to itch the fresh wounds on their earlobes -- only to accidentally pull out the earring and hurt themselves further in the process? (It could happen.) Or what if they get infected?

I know it's fun to have a little girl and dress her up and all that, but piercing her ears before she even knows how to stand up just seems so ridiculous to me, in addition to being pretty inhumane.

Heck, it's bad enough when we have to take our babies to the doctor to get a shot, and that's necessary for their health. Why on earth would ANY parent subject their little one to having needles stuck in her for the sake of vanity?

What do you think? Is it wrong to pierce a baby's ears?

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:39 PM
Replies (271-277):
Kennadismom
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:49 AM
I don't think its wrong. I planned on doing dd's at 6 mos but I chickened out. At 2 years old she asked for earrings. I said it'll hurt, but not for long and she agreed. She handled the piercing beautifully only crying when we left because she thought we forgot to get her earrings lol
Mandi1992
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:09 AM

I believe that its completely wrong and irresponsible to pierce a child ears if a teen wants to get their ears pierced then of course but not a child

mary841108
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:17 AM

she was cue-ball bald until she was 2 years old lol, if she didnt have her ears pierced, she probably would have gotten mistaken for a boy countless times. even in pink and flowers i heard a few times "aww he is so cute!" DH wanted to get them done too so we took her.

Quoting SommelierMom:

Quoting mary841108:

who wrote this? they can go eff themselves. i got my daughters ears pierced when she was 3 months old, the kid slept thru the whole thing, didnt even budge. I was sweating bullets the whole time. and she had never messed with them. if anything, it gets expensive! she is always wanting new earrings. the child has over 100 pairs! its not cruel and there are a lot of cultures that do far worse. this person that wrote this sounds like a complete idiot. maybe she's bitter because she couldnt afford to get her DDs ears done. un-freaking-believable. and she looks cute as hell here is a pic:

with her super cute pumpkin earrings!

She looks adorable. On babies it looks trashy, though, IMO.

Cleaning tips, baking recipes, dinner recipes, kids crafts, crafts for the bored mama and more at:

http://theimperfectstepfordwife.wordpress.com/

ccnstanczak
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:39 AM

im taking my dd to get her's peirced for her 7th birthday. Shes excited and has earings picked out. and has been watching videos on it. She knows its going to hurt but its her choice.

travelbunny
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:42 AM

My daughters won't ever have their ears pierced. If they want their ears pierced they can do that when they are married.  I think it is tacky.  Same thing with piercing a girl's nose like idiot Arab mothers do.

Sarah5708Emma
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:43 AM
We haven't pierced either one of our daughters ears because I want them to be able to tell me whether they want to or not. Oldest dd is 4 and is just now showing an interest. So we will wait until she wants them for sure.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Proud-mama-05
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:46 AM
So did we...and if we have another we'll do the same with her. She's 2 now and she loves her "pretty" lol

Quoting Dzyre1115:

I pierced my daughter's ears immediately following her first tetanus shot and we have no regrets, she loves having her ears pierced.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured