Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What do you think? Is it wrong to pierce a baby's ears?

Posted by   + Show Post

Parents Who Pierce Their Baby's Ears Are Just Plain Cruel

Posted by The Stir Bloggers on January 8, 2013 

little earEarlier this morning, I came across a discussion over the argument of whether or not to pierce a baby's ears. A disgruntled reader wrote to the Dear Mary Ann column at the Pittsburgh Post Gazette voicing her opinion on the issue -- she thinks it's borderline child abuse.

And you know what? I think I have to agree with her on this one. Because piercing a baby girl's ears not only seems mean and cruel to me -- it also just seems so vain and unnecessary.

Here you have this perfect little angel who is sugar and spice and everything nice -- and you want to go pierce two tiny holes through her earlobes and cause her pain simply because you think she'll look cute in a pair of heart-shaped studs?

Yes, I know putting it that way sounds a little bit extreme, but it's a pretty accurate description. 

My mother took me to get my ears pierced when I was in the fourth grade, I believe -- and I still remember how bad it hurt when that piercing gun went through my skin. And I also remember what a pain it was to keep my earlobes clean and to turn the earrings every day so the holes wouldn't close up.

If it was that bad for a fourth grader (who willingly got her ears pierced), I can't even imagine what a drag having pierced ears must be for a baby.

And that brings us to the whole problem of ear pulling. Aren't parents afraid that their poor baby girls are going to reach up to itch the fresh wounds on their earlobes -- only to accidentally pull out the earring and hurt themselves further in the process? (It could happen.) Or what if they get infected?

I know it's fun to have a little girl and dress her up and all that, but piercing her ears before she even knows how to stand up just seems so ridiculous to me, in addition to being pretty inhumane.

Heck, it's bad enough when we have to take our babies to the doctor to get a shot, and that's necessary for their health. Why on earth would ANY parent subject their little one to having needles stuck in her for the sake of vanity?

What do you think? Is it wrong to pierce a baby's ears?

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:39 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this
No. Pierced my daughters ears and she cried for less than a minute. I would rather have them pierced and make sure they are cared for (she never tugged or touched her ears) then wait like I had to when I was 11 and wanted my ears pieced really badly but after they did one ear I wanted to just keep the one piercing because I didnt like it and then didn't properly care for my ears because I would always forget like kids around my age would. She had both ears pierced at the same time and was a trooper. Getting her shots makes her cry more than getting her ears pierced did.
USMCWifey2011
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:54 PM
No i dont think its wrong, however if this baby is a girl i will wait until she wants her ears pierced
Fields456
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:55 PM
Well said and I agree. My dd is almost 7 and we are about to take her to get them done

Quoting AngeLnChainZ:

Personally it's not something I would ever do.. But I am not going to judge anothers choice to do it for their child.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaDee83
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:56 PM

No, I don't think it's wrong, but I wouldn't do it to my baby girl. I didn't get my ears pierced until I was about 10 years old because I really wanted to and I kept asking my mom until she finally took me. I figure my DD will end up doing something similar to that - whenever she feels like she's ready, she will ask.

kidlover2
Wrong? No. That's a strong word. It's a personal and or cultural decision. And my ears closed up so many times as a kid that calling it "permanent"is a bit farfetched. It's not a tattoo.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Una75

It's no more wrong than circumcision.  That being said, I don't think it's wrong at all.

Part of the advantage in doing it so early is that she grows up used to it, as opposed to doing it when she's a toddler or slightly older and won't take care of it well.

I remember getting my ears pierced.  I was afraid, but it didn't hurt.  The worst thing about it was the noise from the gun.  I got second piercings as an adult - still didn't hurt.  It got sore during the healing process, but the piercing itself was painless and fast.

However, I made the choice not to get my dd's ears pierced until she's old enough to ask for it.  I wanted it to be her choice and I wanted her to have the experience.  That's going to be one of her "big girl" moments.  She has teen sisters who are getting tattoos and belly rings.  I just wanted to have that one sweet, innocent rite of passage before it takes a turn for driving me crazy (hopefully it won't, but you never know).

mamakin616
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:57 PM

I had my daughters done when they were just a couple of months old,and neither of them ever tried to play with them,and they didn't get infected.If you clean them properly and turn them as directed they are fine.Both were done by their Doctors who gave them a small amount of pain reiever before hand.Neither of them cried for a lengthy period of time at all...as soon as the second earring was in and i picked her up ,the crying stopped,I honestly believe that they are more fightened from the sound of the piercing gun. I know it does hurt for a quick second because I had mine done the same way.But I think the shots they get hurt for a much longer period of time ,as they tend to swell up and get very hard and cause a fever most of the time.

do11face
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:57 PM
Idk.
I didn't do it because I just honestly didn't want to deal with them. I will let her wait and decide when and if she wants them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
was2now3
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:58 PM
Mine had her done at 4 months and so will this baby... My son is also circ'c lol guess I'm just a bad mom :-P
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MsDenuninani
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Yeah, I see the argument, in much the same way I see the argument against circumcision (that it's bodily mutilation.)

I just don't care. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)