Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What do you think? Is it wrong to pierce a baby's ears?

Posted by   + Show Post

Parents Who Pierce Their Baby's Ears Are Just Plain Cruel

Posted by The Stir Bloggers on January 8, 2013 

little earEarlier this morning, I came across a discussion over the argument of whether or not to pierce a baby's ears. A disgruntled reader wrote to the Dear Mary Ann column at the Pittsburgh Post Gazette voicing her opinion on the issue -- she thinks it's borderline child abuse.

And you know what? I think I have to agree with her on this one. Because piercing a baby girl's ears not only seems mean and cruel to me -- it also just seems so vain and unnecessary.

Here you have this perfect little angel who is sugar and spice and everything nice -- and you want to go pierce two tiny holes through her earlobes and cause her pain simply because you think she'll look cute in a pair of heart-shaped studs?

Yes, I know putting it that way sounds a little bit extreme, but it's a pretty accurate description. 

My mother took me to get my ears pierced when I was in the fourth grade, I believe -- and I still remember how bad it hurt when that piercing gun went through my skin. And I also remember what a pain it was to keep my earlobes clean and to turn the earrings every day so the holes wouldn't close up.

If it was that bad for a fourth grader (who willingly got her ears pierced), I can't even imagine what a drag having pierced ears must be for a baby.

And that brings us to the whole problem of ear pulling. Aren't parents afraid that their poor baby girls are going to reach up to itch the fresh wounds on their earlobes -- only to accidentally pull out the earring and hurt themselves further in the process? (It could happen.) Or what if they get infected?

I know it's fun to have a little girl and dress her up and all that, but piercing her ears before she even knows how to stand up just seems so ridiculous to me, in addition to being pretty inhumane.

Heck, it's bad enough when we have to take our babies to the doctor to get a shot, and that's necessary for their health. Why on earth would ANY parent subject their little one to having needles stuck in her for the sake of vanity?

What do you think? Is it wrong to pierce a baby's ears?

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:39 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:58 PM
1 mom liked this
it was up to me, I had the choice whether to do it or not,i did have the right to refuse service.I personally didn't feel comfortable doing it on small children, my boss was perfectly fine with it. Plus there were usually 2 of us there working anyways.

Quoting Anonymous:

That's your opinion and if tour company had a written rule about the age and it wasn't up to you then you should have been fired. Don't tell other people what to do with their kids when it's not illegal.

Quoting Anonymous:

I used to pierce ears in the mall, I refused to do children under 4, I think it's unnecessary.

Ultra_
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:00 PM

I don't think it's wrong. I think it's ridiculous, but a-ok. I'm Mexican, so almost everyone I know pierces their baby's ears at 6 weeks. I didn't because it's not important to me and I'm not into earrings and then people whine and give earrings say, "Don't lose them, they're expensive!" Uh, then how about don't give expensive stuff to a baby if you can't handle them losing it? It's just not for me, but it's not wrong. My mom had mine peirced at 6 weeks and not only did I live, I don't remember the pain, and I LOVE her still. Imagine that!
Also, shots are not necessary for their health. Someone else could just as soon say that is inhumane and optional. Thus proving it just depends on what works for the parents.

chattycassie
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:00 PM

No not at all, people are so uptight these days. (my oldest dauther has had her ears done since about 2)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:01 PM
I do think it's wrong, body modification is a PERSONAL choice...not a parental decision.

If it's ok to do the ears of a baby, why not the eyebrow? Lip? or bellybutton?
Keara20
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:03 PM
I wanted to pierce my baby's ear, but that turned into a fight.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LucyHarper
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Personally we will wait until they are old enough to ask, because we simply don't feel the need to do it, but I hardly would call it cruel or abuse and think people make it out to be way more serious an issue than it is. It's a little stick and thats it, I've seen kids get them without even crying, for some it has a cultural meaning and lets just face it, what kid has ever been traumatized or regrets having their ears pierced as a baby. My ears were pierced when I was a baby, I couldn't care less and am glad I was saved the trouble of doing it later. They put infant earrings on super tight, it's hard for even adults to get them off, so they won't fall off and babies can't pull them off.

Livv066
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:04 PM
I dident have my DDs pierced. When she's older, and wants that done, then fine. We'll do a girly day.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Roo1234
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:06 PM

I'm not a fan of it.  I just don't like the way it looks on little kids.  

I don't know if I would call it cruel.  Cruelty tends to have a greater scope. Behaciors repeated again and again would be cruel, but a one-time event, not so much.

I would worry about the care and the choking risks, but if the parent wants to take on the added responsibilities, so be it.

AllofFive19
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:07 PM

I wouldn't do it, but it's not child abuse. 

etsmom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Pierced baby ears isn't my thing, but I don't care that other parents do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)