Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is is appropriate for a 1st grade teacher to talk about her personal life?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 35 Replies
I will admit I'm sensitive to this because I remember clearly my 3rd grade teacher using the entire year to talk about her pregnancy and subsequent baby. We didn't learn multiplication we had polls over baby names. Enough parents complained that her contract wasn't renewed for the next year.

Now onto kiddos teacher. About 2 months ago she sent an email stating she got engaged over the weekend and that once she got married she would have a different last name. My 6 year old came home talking about engagement rings and cruise weddings. Throughout the 2 months she's come home and mentioned other aspects about her teachers wedding from the color scheme to where the honeymoon was going to be to who the flower girl and ring bearers are.

The teacher got married during the Christmas break and she sent another email to everyone saying she got married and that she showed the kids pictures from her wedding.

The teacher is in her late 30s and I just feel its inappropriate for her to be talking that much about her personal life. My kid is 6, I want her to learn at school not gossip about a wedding.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:49 PM
Well do you feel it's ok for the teacher to talk about her personal life?
kate80
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Over the top imo. Telling them you are getting married and that you will have a new last name, fine. In her defense it is possible she had "show and tell" for it and being first grade I am sure they asked a million questions. Knowing the color scheme and all is a bit much.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MrsCota8-2
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:53 PM
No, that's what her adult friends are for.
Logan_Bellasmom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:53 PM
2 moms liked this

Are you sure shes talking about it and not answering curious kids questions?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Who cares.  The kids talk about their life too.  As long as e kids are learning who the f care

mistie900
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:55 PM

They could be asking her these questions. I think teachers should keep things private but it is ok for them to share a little about their lives. I'm sure many children are curious about her and her life, and a wedding is a big thing for them to want to know more about.

Litlmama87
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:55 PM
1 mom liked this
I Lol'd at the mental pic of the little kids gushing over her details & pics.
teacherandamom
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:56 PM
That's what I'm guessing. My kids ask me all sorts of stuff

Quoting Logan_Bellasmom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Well when I ask how she knows that info she says her teacher told her. I would think its a bit odd for first graders to ask some of the questions needed for the info that came home. Do most first graders know that weddings have color schemes? Or that David's bridal is where she got her dress from?

Quoting Logan_Bellasmom:

Kaybean
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:56 PM
This was my thought as well, or maybe there were assistant teachers or other teachers she chatted with about it. As far as the new last name goes, there's nothing wrong with sharing that info because that's a necessary piece of info.

Quoting Logan_Bellasmom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)