Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What do I say to her??

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:05 PM
  • 7 Replies
My 2yo almost 3 yo dd was born with a cleft lip and thinks everyone should have one, I tell her no only certain people get them. But she doesn't understand, how do I let her know she is special without making her feel like she is the odd one out?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:06 PM
Why not get it fixed?
My3beautys
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:13 PM
It has been fixed she still has a scar though, and will have a surgery for " cosmetic " reasons like tightening up her lip and thin out the scar next year, but she still sees the pictures of her as a baby with it and knows why she has a scar

Quoting Anonymous:

Why not get it fixed?

catherine_b
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:15 PM
Reprat it often. It's a little something that makes her special..makes her unique

Point the good sides of it, and she will see it eventually.

My dd has a birthmark and this is what I do with her
edelweiss23
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:16 PM
Gotcha.
Just tell her that everyone is made differently!!

Quoting My3beautys:

It has been fixed she still has a scar though, and will have a surgery for " cosmetic " reasons like tightening up her lip and thin out the scar next year, but she still sees the pictures of her as a baby with it and knows why she has a scar

Quoting Anonymous:

Why not get it fixed?

haleymak
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:33 PM
1 mom liked this
That's really difficult. I'd tell her something like this, (if you are religious, if not I don't mean to offend) "God thought your lips were so pretty that he had to keep a piece so he'd could put it on another little girl to make her lips pretty too." Might sound kind of silly, but to a 2 year old it would probably make a lot of sense :) anyways, good luck.
My3beautys
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:28 PM
That sounds perfect!!! I am going to tell her that from now on!!! Thank you!!

Quoting haleymak:

That's really difficult. I'd tell her something like this, (if you are religious, if not I don't mean to offend) "God thought your lips were so pretty that he had to keep a piece so he'd could put it on another little girl to make her lips pretty too." Might sound kind of silly, but to a 2 year old it would probably make a lot of sense :) anyways, good luck.

haleymak
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:30 PM
You're welcome, I really hope it works!!

Quoting My3beautys:

That sounds perfect!!! I am going to tell her that from now on!!! Thank you!!

Quoting haleymak:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)