Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

He is NOT a bad child!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 69 Replies

I haven't had my first child yet (due in March!) but I have been keeping my nephew on & off for a few years.  I love him so much.  He's the sweetest, kindest, funniest child I've ever known.  He started having problems at school and after much evaluation, he was put on meds for ADHD.  But that hasn't solved all the problems.  All I hear constantly is how bad he is, how irresponsible, how lazy, and so on.  He doesn't have a mean bone in his body and he's not defiant in any way.  They just complain constantly about how he is lazy lazy lazy and basically incompetent in every way.

I always tell them what a great, wonderful, almost-perfect child he is with me!  They say, it's because you have no authority over him, he doesn't have any responsibilities, he doesn't have to do chores or homework or be responsible.

I don't think that's true at all, but I decided to test it out.  Lately I've been giving him things to do, just basic minor things, to see how he does.  I've increased the level of responsibility gradually.  He's not over here every day but he's here enough. 

Well he does GREAT! 

I feel like we are talking about two different kids here.  How could he be so great with me and so horrible at home?

Is it true that children act differently when they are with different people? They feel he's on his best behavior with me, because I'm his aunt and he doesn't want to let me down.  Whereas, when he's with his parents, he's very lax.

Is this true? 

Thanks! 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaPeanut
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:26 PM
Poor kid
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Ok but do you have anything to add?  In your experience, what do you think?  I'm not a mom yet & won't be one for  few months. 

Quoting MamaPeanut:

Poor kid

AubreeGrace17
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:27 PM
I'm not sure.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sadiebug1228
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:27 PM
How old is he?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:29 PM

I honestly don'tknow, my kids are the same no matter what

Logan_Bellasmom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Working with kid and watching them myself i have seen kids act diff with their interactions with other people. Plus you don't have him full time you have no idea how he is at home and school to really make assumptions.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:30 PM

He's 8, almost 9

Quoting sadiebug1228:

How old is he?

achapman
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:31 PM

i feel bad for him that his parent basically talk shit about their own kid :( and yes kids do act different with different ppl my stepkids respect me and then go home and disrespect which ever boyfriend their mom has for the month.

kris1stbaby
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:31 PM

My son is only 3 but he is more behaved when mom and dad aren't around, most kids I know are that way.

Pnukey
by Jenn on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Yes, children act differently when they are with different people. If you are the only one seeing good behavior, then yes, he is a bad kid because it shows that he CAN behave but chooses not to and he needs to quit being lazy at school and home. It's bonus for you that you get to see the good, but he needs to behave.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)