Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Did you know you can buy seeds on food stamps?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 59 Replies
5 moms liked this
I do!

We just moved to a house with 3/4 of a acre and found a tiller in the shed. We should be getting food stamps starting in a few days and I'm so excited to start gardening! Fresh organic produce w/o paying out the nose!

Eta- oh and since I'm prob planting a 1/3-1/2 acre I'm thinking whatever I have left ill donate to the local food bank.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Did you know it's winter and it is hard to plant seeds right not?  And you can also buy seeds with cash!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:10 PM
Here you start first week of march, so not too far from now. And yes I do but with 2 disabiled kids its not like we have money coming out our butts

Quoting Anonymous:

Did you know it's winter and it is hard to plant seeds right not?  And you can also buy seeds with cash!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:12 PM
1 mom liked this

FRUIT and VEGGIE seeds only. Yep, learned that 18 years ago when i started working in a grocery store. It's because youc an grow your own stuff and use more of the fs $ for other foods. Very few people on fs actually know or realize or take advantage of that though.

fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:12 PM

We can't,.

addiecakesmommy
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:15 PM

That's a really good idea. Good luck with your garden! I grew beets in my little suburban backyard when I was 8. I planted them, watered them for about 4 days then forgot about it. A year later I had fresh beets. LOL

circle_of_life
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:16 PM

I think that's awesome. You can also buy fruit or veggie bearing plants and trees.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:16 PM
2 moms liked this
Did you know its almost seeding season for portion of the country? I'd guess its not under that rock where you're living and all. But hey the more you know!!!!

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:40 PM
Omg awesome! I wish all plants were that easy.
We are planting
Potatoes
Onions
Strawberries
Green onions
Pickling cucumbers
Lettuce
Radishes
Carrots
Celery
Peppers
And watermelon

Quoting addiecakesmommy:

That's a really good idea. Good luck with your garden! I grew beets in my little suburban backyard when I was 8. I planted them, watered them for about 4 days then forgot about it. A year later I had fresh beets. LOL

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Glad you will be utilizing this healthy money saving option.  However, I hope you are planning on getting off fs all together too.

Jessica_Esqueda
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Go you! I want to start a garden this spring too. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)