Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
My 21 month old has been walking around the housing saying numerous cuss words lately, I've tried getting onto her but what do I do? She hears her dad and everyone around her cuss and as many times as I tell them "LITTLE EARS!!" It never matters. She is saying words like...fuck, fucker, shit, ass, and she's even called me a bitch :( Any suggestions on how I can teach her that these are BAD words? If I pop her she laughs. I've thought about maybe trying something like putting a dab of soap in her mouth. Haven't yet but debating the idea. Wwyd?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:57 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Yeah just try changing the words.

Shit - Sit

Fuck - Truck

Bitch - Itch

She only knows that these are words, she doesn't know the meaning. So if you resay the words as you want her to say them, and you show her what the meaning is at the same time, she'll start relating the two. As she gets older you will be able to teach her what the right and wrong words are, but at this age it isn't easy.

Quoting _OcToBeRbAbY_:

Thanks(: That's very good insight and I have just been stressing this.

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh dear lord.

Soap in a babys mouth is ridiculous.

First of all, if you don't control those around you from saying it, she's never going to learn. Start telling them if they're going to talk like that to go somewhere else you you will start popping thema nd putting soap in their mouths. She only says what she's taught.

As for teaching her, trying turning them into other words. My ODD's father said shit all the time around her so she started saying shit.

We had a dog and any time she said it, we would say SIT back to her, and show her the dog sitting at the same time. It took about 2 weeks and she started saying sit and using it in proper context (telling the dog to sit.)

You don't have to hit a baby or put soap in a babys mouth for a baby to learn, you just have to take time out to work with her and stop letting bad influences around her or start coming down hard on said influences until they stop.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:14 PM
Stop talking like that in front of her.
PEEK05
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:14 PM
1 mom liked this

You don't discipline your 1.5 year old daughter for not understanding that they are bad words.  I would be on my husband's ASS if he was cussing like that and my super young child who cannot understand what those words mean and that they are bad was repeating them!

_OcToBeRbAbY_
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:16 PM
And yet again I ask, when did I say I popped her in the mouth?

Quoting Anonymous:

She said she is hitting her in the mouth and her kid is laughing... that is ok but hot sauce on her tounge is a problem.  No wonder y'all have kids that can't control their language.

Quoting Anonymous:

She's not even 2 years old, you're ridiculous.

Quoting Anonymous:

Hot sauce on her tounge.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:16 PM

I never condoned hitting her in the mouth either. Just because my response to you wasn't in the same response as my response to her, doesn't mean I did.

MY child controls her language just fine. She's almost 4 now. I've never needed soap, hot sauce, or spanking. It's called taking time for your child to teach them, not hurting them to train them.

Quoting Anonymous:

She said she is hitting her in the mouth and her kid is laughing... that is ok but hot sauce on her tounge is a problem.  No wonder y'all have kids that can't control their language.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Hot sauce on her tounge.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:16 PM
Ignore it. The more you make a fuss over it, the more she will say it.
LexJaxKar
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Its wrong to punsh her because of your husband and families immaturity. 

Put soap in your husbands mouth when he cusses and if he stops, she'll stop.

mysticalmalissa
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:16 PM

When our son picks up a bad word and says it, we tell him that its a "big people word" and he shouldnt say it until he is grown. 

_OcToBeRbAbY_
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:18 PM
1 mom liked this
I will definitely try this!

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah just try changing the words.

Shit - Sit

Fuck - Truck

Bitch - Itch

She only knows that these are words, she doesn't know the meaning. So if you resay the words as you want her to say them, and you show her what the meaning is at the same time, she'll start relating the two. As she gets older you will be able to teach her what the right and wrong words are, but at this age it isn't easy.

Quoting _OcToBeRbAbY_:

Thanks(: That's very good insight and I have just been stressing this.

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh dear lord.

Soap in a babys mouth is ridiculous.

First of all, if you don't control those around you from saying it, she's never going to learn. Start telling them if they're going to talk like that to go somewhere else you you will start popping thema nd putting soap in their mouths. She only says what she's taught.

As for teaching her, trying turning them into other words. My ODD's father said shit all the time around her so she started saying shit.

We had a dog and any time she said it, we would say SIT back to her, and show her the dog sitting at the same time. It took about 2 weeks and she started saying sit and using it in proper context (telling the dog to sit.)

You don't have to hit a baby or put soap in a babys mouth for a baby to learn, you just have to take time out to work with her and stop letting bad influences around her or start coming down hard on said influences until they stop.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:19 PM
They're assuming that since you said "if I pop her she laughs" that it automatically means you pop her in the mouth.

Quoting _OcToBeRbAbY_:

And yet again I ask, when did I say I popped her in the mouth?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Hot sauce on her tounge.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN