Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
My 21 month old has been walking around the housing saying numerous cuss words lately, I've tried getting onto her but what do I do? She hears her dad and everyone around her cuss and as many times as I tell them "LITTLE EARS!!" It never matters. She is saying words like...fuck, fucker, shit, ass, and she's even called me a bitch :( Any suggestions on how I can teach her that these are BAD words? If I pop her she laughs. I've thought about maybe trying something like putting a dab of soap in her mouth. Haven't yet but debating the idea. Wwyd?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:57 PM
Replies (41-50):
PhoenixMomof3
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:21 PM
1 mom liked this
On a funny sidenote about being embarrassed in public... my youngest mis-pronounces all kinds of words. At a parade once, around two, she saw a fire truck and screamed, over and over, "FUCK MAMA! FUCK!" I get shivers thinking of it! Hahaa! I take comfort in knowing other parents... somewhere in the crowd!... had to have recognized what she was saying while she was all excited and pointing at the fire TRUCK. Ey!

And it is just terrible cuz you want to explain to EVERYONE! Ahhh the joys of parenting! Hahaaa!

I agree with those who said to re-direct her (ladies dont speak like that!) And then ignore. Part of the charm of cuss words is the attention, and unfortunately, the giggles they get from others.

Quoting _OcToBeRbAbY_:

She's very vocal and I'm not sure ignoring her will make her forget. I am just so frustrated and embarrassed, I'd be mortified if she said something like that in public!

Quoting haunted.mommy:

Ignore her.

_OcToBeRbAbY_
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:21 PM
Of course, how could I forget, lol. This is CM and assumptions will be expected.

Quoting Anonymous:

They're assuming that since you said "if I pop her she laughs" that it automatically means you pop her in the mouth.

Quoting _OcToBeRbAbY_:

And yet again I ask, when did I say I popped her in the mouth?

Quoting Anonymous:

She said she is hitting her in the mouth and her kid is laughing... that is ok but hot sauce on her tounge is a problem.  No wonder y'all have kids that can't control their language.

Quoting Anonymous:

She's not even 2 years old, you're ridiculous.

Quoting Anonymous:

Hot sauce on her tounge.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:22 PM
I have the same problem with my 3yo. I even posted about it yesterday. But I got told I'm a bad parent and need to learn better parenting because I'm allowing her to say that same word. Also that I'm being my child's bitch by letting her say it to me.
_OcToBeRbAbY_
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:24 PM
Oh no! That's horrible :( I'm sorry mama!

Quoting Anonymous:

I have the same problem with my 3yo. I even posted about it yesterday. But I got told I'm a bad parent and need to learn better parenting because I'm allowing her to say that same word. Also that I'm being my child's bitch by letting her say it to me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:24 PM

I think the soap thing is for older kids that know better.  You might want to threaten your Dh with the soap!  LOL

With little ones like that, it's best to ignore, otherwise they will take it & run with it.  She'll be shouting it out at the grocery store if she thinks it gets attention! 

indyb
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:26 PM

I would pop dad in mouth and put soap in his mouth,  little ones mimic and punishing her for something she doesn't understand is wrong doesn't make sense to me!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:35 PM
Thanks. Yeah. It was frustrating. I just wanted some help. I mean I knew I wouldnt get all rainbows and sunshine replies, but I was hoping someone would have a good idea.
Last thing I need is her calling my mom a bitch, ya know?
Some comments were to slap her, beat her, hot sauce, man they got nasty. A lot of them were arguing with another comment on how that idea was wrong because it didn't work for them, was considered abuse, ect, ect.
I'm still not sure what to do. Hot sauce won't work- she like salsa and jalepeno poppers, ffs. LoL. But she hasn't said it today yay. And yesterday she said it all day. It started with me putting gloves and a hat on her to go outside.

Quoting _OcToBeRbAbY_:

Oh no! That's horrible :( I'm sorry mama!

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:37 PM
1 mom liked this
What a dumb ass question

Quoting Anonymous:

Well are you being one when she calls you that?

cueballsmom
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:38 PM
I stopped it one day by putting daddy in time out for cussing. Dd saw it and stopped the cussing. But she only said fucker.
kngarber
by Katie on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Where did I say to hit? 

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes, really. I don't mess with soap. My daughter cussed once, she got hot sauce on her tounge and never did it again.  I never "popped" her either.  Funny, hitting a child in the mouth is ok but hot sauce is an issue??

Quoting kngarber:

That is your first go to?  Really??

Quoting Anonymous:

Hot sauce on her tounge.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)