Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would this aggravate you, or am I overreacting?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 43 Replies
A little background:
My in-laws have boundary issues BIG TIME. They live far enough away that when they come to visit, they stay with us for a few days, up to a week or more. They completely take over our house, and don't treat my husband with the respect deserved a man who works hard, takes care of his family, and generally has his ducks in a row (we own our home, both cars are paid off, and lead a modest life, but they act as though he is still a teenager and constantly let him know that he isn't good enough).

So, the current issue is this. FIL mentioned to my DH that when we loaned him our car during a visit early last year, he took the opportunity of having our keys to go and have a master key made that will open his house, my SIL's house, and OUR house. We never offered him a key, and he didn't ask our permission to get one made or even tell us that he'd done so until nearly a year later.

I feel like this is really... I dunno. For one, I find it very rude and presumptuous to have a key made for someone's house without being offered one or even asking, and there really isn't any reason why he would need one. They live far away, so it isn't like we'd be calling them in an emergency situation, and because we have a keypad on our garage door, if we need someone to get into our house we just give them the code.
I feel like it's just one more overbearing step, and to me this crosses the line. You don't own the home, and you weren't given a key, so no, you shouldn't have a key.
Am I overreacting? We were debating changing our locks anyway (new front door assembly), and this makes me feel like doing it sooner rather than later, but I don't know if I would bring it up to him.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:14 PM
Oh, and he loses his keys all. the. time.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:15 PM
Bump
bmw29
by spitfire_bobbie on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I would change the damn locks tomorrow. :/

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:17 PM
Bump
LoraKuhn
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:18 PM

No, you aren't overreacting, he had no right to do that and, your  husband needs to put his foot down since they are his parents.

TAG_ur_it
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:18 PM

i'd get my locks changed.  and damned if i'd let them stay in my home again.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:19 PM
1 mom liked this
I would change my locks!Make sure he does not get any copy of the new key
DylansMommyXo
by Daggy on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:20 PM
I would be very upset. Yay for boundary stepping in laws! I would have your dh talk to him and change the locks sooner rather than later.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SRUsarahSC
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:20 PM

I wouldn't be that worried about it. Change the locks, let them know that was not OK with you, and don't give them keys next time.  

harehelper
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Change the locks. And I would make sure to tell FIL I was doing it, and never, ever let him get his hands on any set of keys again. Yikes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN