Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

S/O - Do you have a key to your parents house? Edit in blue

Posted by   + Show Post

I don't.  My parents are divorced, my mom has lived in the same apartment for 15 years (out of state).  My dad has lived in the same house for 22 years (out of state, a different one).  I didn't grow up in either house.

My husband does not have a key to his fathers house - it's the house he grew up in. Father in law has lived there for 55 years.  Locks have been changed since my husband left almost 30 years ago.

Boundries.  They're good.

I can understand those of you who have elderly parents living nearby.  But do you just "walk in?"  I know some of you already answered this.  I would never have dreamed of just "walking in" to my parents house after I moved out, even though I DID have a key (and lived nearby at the time).

And I have NEVER given a key to any place i"ve lived to my parents, my brother, anyone.  It's MY house.  This is my home.  My parents home (while they still had it) was the home I grew up in, not "mine" after I moved out.

Also, I'm now the mother of adult kids.  Two of them are totally on their own, and live in different states.  When they come home, we give them the code to get in.  But we change it from time to time.  Even when my daughter and her boyfriend only lived 15 minutes away, I "invited" them to dinner, and they would come in (after I insisted to her boyfriend it was ok).  But they didn't just "come by" (except when my daughter wrecked her car and didn't want to say anything over the phone).

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:32 PM
Replies (11-20):
SRUsarahSC
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:43 PM

yes, but they live within walking distance.  They have our extra too in case we lock ourselves out.  No one "abuses" the keys though.

danie24
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:44 PM
Yes. Their home will always be my home no matter how far away I'm living. My sisters and I can come and go as we please just like when we were kids lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tddncw2010
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:44 PM
Both hubby and I have one for his parents house and I know the code for the garage door at my moms.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LucyHarper
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Yes, I have the key that I used as a kid and the locks have never been changed. I drop off groceries once a week and usually don't have any kind of communication with my mother while I'm there so she's not coming to answer the door, so I just let myself in, put the food away, and leave. My five year old son has a key to his grandmothers house, she gave it to him in case of emergencies.

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:44 PM
I have a key to my grandmothers house because there have been several times I've needed to get in her house like to check her mail when she's out of town or to pick up something while she's not there.

I have a key to my dads for the same reason.

My grandmother has a key to my house for the same reason, in case she ever needs to get something though she has never used it and probably never will.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PitbullPrincess
by Woof on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Yup. Sure do. They have a key to mine also.

EAzizM
by Erica on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:45 PM
Yup but i never use it. I knock when i come over.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:45 PM
yep i have key to my parent's house, along with one to my grandmother's. in fact they gave me new ones when they remodel both houses. my hubby has one to all three of his sister's houses, and one for his aunt. they all have one to mine.
usmcwifey11
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:46 PM
No.
A_McCool
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:46 PM

No, but I know where the spare key is.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)