Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

S/O - Do you have a key to your parents house? Edit in blue

Posted by   + Show Post

I don't.  My parents are divorced, my mom has lived in the same apartment for 15 years (out of state).  My dad has lived in the same house for 22 years (out of state, a different one).  I didn't grow up in either house.

My husband does not have a key to his fathers house - it's the house he grew up in. Father in law has lived there for 55 years.  Locks have been changed since my husband left almost 30 years ago.

Boundries.  They're good.

I can understand those of you who have elderly parents living nearby.  But do you just "walk in?"  I know some of you already answered this.  I would never have dreamed of just "walking in" to my parents house after I moved out, even though I DID have a key (and lived nearby at the time).

And I have NEVER given a key to any place i"ve lived to my parents, my brother, anyone.  It's MY house.  This is my home.  My parents home (while they still had it) was the home I grew up in, not "mine" after I moved out.

Also, I'm now the mother of adult kids.  Two of them are totally on their own, and live in different states.  When they come home, we give them the code to get in.  But we change it from time to time.  Even when my daughter and her boyfriend only lived 15 minutes away, I "invited" them to dinner, and they would come in (after I insisted to her boyfriend it was ok).  But they didn't just "come by" (except when my daughter wrecked her car and didn't want to say anything over the phone).

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:32 PM
Replies (21-30):
AMDS0304
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Yes I do and they have a key to my house.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:47 PM
Yes. My parents have lived in their house since I was 13, and have not changed the locks.
Fields456
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:47 PM
Yes to my moms house. I probably should get a key to my dads house to just in case
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:47 PM

I have a key to my mother's house, my IL's house, my BIL's house, and my GMIL's house. We are a very close family. My BIL lives down the street, so I know their codes to get in as well as they know ours. All of the parentals live in FL, but we have access to their home since we go down there so much. 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

two4one
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Yes.  All my siblings do. My parents gave them to us, and each time the change the locks we get new keys.

RichardsMom0209
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:48 PM

My parnets have been divorced for 14 years. But I do have keys to dad and mom's houses.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker
kmorales7690
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:49 PM
This

Quoting tennisgal:

never. the doors are never locked. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:50 PM
I have a key to my parents apartment especially since they live right across from me. I go in whenever I want. We don't have keys to mils or fils.
mom2hadley
by Heather on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:50 PM
Yes
PeaceLoveZ
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:50 PM
My moms, Yes... Even if she changed her locks We'd still get in... MuHahaHaha! Lol!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)