Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

S/O - Do you have a key to your parents house? Edit in blue

Posted by   + Show Post

I don't.  My parents are divorced, my mom has lived in the same apartment for 15 years (out of state).  My dad has lived in the same house for 22 years (out of state, a different one).  I didn't grow up in either house.

My husband does not have a key to his fathers house - it's the house he grew up in. Father in law has lived there for 55 years.  Locks have been changed since my husband left almost 30 years ago.

Boundries.  They're good.

I can understand those of you who have elderly parents living nearby.  But do you just "walk in?"  I know some of you already answered this.  I would never have dreamed of just "walking in" to my parents house after I moved out, even though I DID have a key (and lived nearby at the time).

And I have NEVER given a key to any place i"ve lived to my parents, my brother, anyone.  It's MY house.  This is my home.  My parents home (while they still had it) was the home I grew up in, not "mine" after I moved out.

Also, I'm now the mother of adult kids.  Two of them are totally on their own, and live in different states.  When they come home, we give them the code to get in.  But we change it from time to time.  Even when my daughter and her boyfriend only lived 15 minutes away, I "invited" them to dinner, and they would come in (after I insisted to her boyfriend it was ok).  But they didn't just "come by" (except when my daughter wrecked her car and didn't want to say anything over the phone).

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:32 PM
Replies (31-40):
tyner_brylee
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:50 PM
My df and i live with his parents... ugh... his dad is a douch bag. We are currently saving to get a place of our own.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Yes, I live with her so I need one.

cbk_mom3
by JayTayGma on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Yep. Considering my mom lives here with us, I'd hope I have a key to her place. :-)

disneymom2two
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:51 PM

I had a key to my mom's house; she's in a nursing home now so I don't have a key any longer obviously.  Both DH and I have keys to my in-laws' house.  I don't understand changing the locks simply because a child moves out unless the one who moved out has no sense of boundaries.  Neither DH nor I would ever just unlock my in-laws' door and walk in. We have it in case of emergencies, because we stay over occasionally and come in after they're in bed, or we leave before they get up.  It would NEVER occur to me to just walk in; that would be rude.

GrimmLotus
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:51 PM

No, but I do know the pass code to the locks.

Melbornj
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Yep and their garage door is programmed in my car. No big deal.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:53 PM
I do to my grandparent's house, they raised me, but not to my parental's house; they never lock their door. :-/
CcCwgrl
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:53 PM
I do. My mom has lived in same house for over thirty years. I am very very close to her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Autumn19
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:53 PM
in the summer i do. I clean her house while shes gone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Summerlion1123
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:53 PM
I used to to my moms but since I cut her out of my life I threw it away. I don't have one to my dads but know where they hide the spare. We don't have one to MILs, she lives several states away though and always has.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)