Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

S/O - Do you have a key to your parents house? Edit in blue

Posted by   + Show Post

I don't.  My parents are divorced, my mom has lived in the same apartment for 15 years (out of state).  My dad has lived in the same house for 22 years (out of state, a different one).  I didn't grow up in either house.

My husband does not have a key to his fathers house - it's the house he grew up in. Father in law has lived there for 55 years.  Locks have been changed since my husband left almost 30 years ago.

Boundries.  They're good.

I can understand those of you who have elderly parents living nearby.  But do you just "walk in?"  I know some of you already answered this.  I would never have dreamed of just "walking in" to my parents house after I moved out, even though I DID have a key (and lived nearby at the time).

And I have NEVER given a key to any place i"ve lived to my parents, my brother, anyone.  It's MY house.  This is my home.  My parents home (while they still had it) was the home I grew up in, not "mine" after I moved out.

Also, I'm now the mother of adult kids.  Two of them are totally on their own, and live in different states.  When they come home, we give them the code to get in.  But we change it from time to time.  Even when my daughter and her boyfriend only lived 15 minutes away, I "invited" them to dinner, and they would come in (after I insisted to her boyfriend it was ok).  But they didn't just "come by" (except when my daughter wrecked her car and didn't want to say anything over the phone).

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:32 PM
Replies (41-50):
sarahfire
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:53 PM
Yes I've had a key since I was a young teen and they've never asked for it back. Lol sometimes it's easier just to use my key than for my mostly disabled mom to get up and open the door.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TAG_ur_it
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:54 PM

no.  i've never even been to mom's house. she moved out of state a few years ago.  we don't have a key to Dh's parents house either. if we lived closer, we might and vice versa.  but we're not close (distance wise) enough to any family to be of any use to give each other keys.

Irenesmommy
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:55 PM

I have a key and a garage door opener to my parent's house, I also have the gate remote and key to my sister's place. My mom and my sister both have keys to my car because I'm notorious for locking my keys in the car.

Angelanscalf89
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:56 PM
I have a key to my moms my grandmas and my mother in laws houses there are multiple reasons why but they are all needed and used.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mewebb82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:56 PM
I do to one of their houses but not yet for the house they just moved in to.
.Nobody.
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:56 PM
Yep.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AJB163
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:57 PM
My parents are divorced and I have a key to both parents house's.
lowencope
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:57 PM
I have the code memorized that opens my moms garage so I can get in at any time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
towerjunkie1989
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:58 PM
Yes I do. I also know a way in if I forget the key. My parents know I'm very forgetful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoriaAnn
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:58 PM
No...but I know the house well enough I could break in if I ever really needed to.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN